Hacking Cobia and another encounter with Mr Grey

Hit the Hacking yesterday arvo for a quick bash as the conditions were great, overcast, little wind and the circus had packed up from the day before. Headed over to Maianbar to collect some nippers and poddies then got a call from my son who was keen to join me. We soaked a couple of poddies in the main channel for no joy then slipped around to Lilli Pilli right on low tide for more of the same. I suggested we head up river to troll livies through a narrow patch of channel close to one of my go to flats. The tide was a very low 0.2 and we were in 3-5 m of water in the deepest part of the channel when my son's rod starts buckling. He had a very large poddy on and loaded up his 50lb braid with a good short tussle. We saw the fish come close to the surface and couldn't quite ID it until it came up and rolled over - Cobia! A few more dives under the boat and into the net it went. My son was stoked as he hadn't really caught much of note on his heavy gear (wonder why:). We decided to keep the fish and onto the brag mat it went coming up on the 80 mark then dispatched and into the ice bag. I'm looking forward to getting some nice fillets off it today as they have a pretty good rep for taste. While we were measuring the fish my rod went off with a nice flatty in the 50s coming on board. While we were trolling I scored 3 nice bream in the 30s flicking nippers up onto the adjoining flats. My last 3 trips the electric motor has been playing up so it was lucky I changed the battery over this week!

We decided to repeat the troll and this time my son's rod goes again but this time his locked up drag was screaming as a beast took about 200m of line in a dead straight line up into the moored boats before the leader gave way. I'm thinking the culprit was quite a bit larger than the little grey man following me in the shallows the other day:) Think before you wade ladies and gents, the water is 23-24 degrees and the grey men have plenty of fish to chase atm; I saw a guy up to his waist on the edge of this little bay the other day😮

Hugo with cobia 2 27.01.2024.jpg

Hugo and cobia 27.01.2024.jpg

81cm Cobia on lie detector.jpg

Edited by jenno64
added info
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Nice Cobe there Rob. The occasional one does turn up in the Hacking. I have pulled out 3 over the years, but smaller than that, so it should produce a couple of good fillets, and they are good eating.

A few bream for the nippers, a flatty, and an unstoppable critter. 👍

22 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

That's a fantastic cobia! Let us know how it cooks up!

Shall do, filleting it today:)

22 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice one Rob! Don’t see them here that often.

Yes, a few reports few and far between!

14 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice Cobe there Rob. The occasional one does turn up in the Hacking. I have pulled out 3 over the years, but smaller than that, so it should produce a couple of good fillets, and they are good eating.

A few bream for the nippers, a flatty, and an unstoppable critter. 👍

Thanks Dave, bit of a surprise, I caught one 30 years ago on a yakka in Gunnamatta. Looking forward to the fillets!

22 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great result for your young bloke Rob. Cobia fight every bit as hard as Kingies and taste just as good.

Thanks Bob

He was pretty pleased as it was the best fish he has landed on his heavy gear (I'm trying to get him to fish lighter in the rivers!)

• Like 1