Port Hacking

Headed to my mother's place early to launch my boat. Thought a quick throw out with bonnie chunks might be good, and it was. Produced the 2 bream, both chunky ones, much fat inside the belly, and the stomachs were full of someone else's burley, not mine. Turned out to be a wise move.

Headed to the deep near Lilli Pilli, and pulled out half a dozen jewies. Most of them around the 45cm mark, and one nearing the 60's. The larger one had the plastic ring around it's body, cutting a 1cm groove into the body in front of the dorsal fin and damaging the pelvic fins to the point they had nearly vanished. The hook was sitting a bit deep, but managed to extract it. The jewie was looking more like a stunned mullet as it swam along the surface for a short while, then it headed for the deep so hopefully it will recover.

Plenty of reddies as well, though the biggest one would just make size if I stretched it out. A few yakkas turned up, so put out a livie. It swam around until it expired. Should have been something of value there, but not today. A variety of baits made no difference. Only pillies jumping, nothing else to see so headed home.

fish.jpeg.431_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

That must have been a sight to see, with that plastic ring.

It was half dark when it surfaced, wondered what it was. Hopeful that it will survive, as it looks like the ring has been there for some time.

55 minutes ago, kantong said:

very portly bream, well done. Good one on removing the ring from the fish.

The larger one was thick in the body.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Shame about the end result, but a few jewies are fun. Never know what might eat a livie this time of year.

At least a couple of bream to keep.

I was expecting something to take the livie. No surface action to see, other than pillies.

2 hours ago, Fried Rice said:

Nice catch. The ring is a gasket for something. I can't imagine how it ended up around a Jewfish????

It is a gasket for something. I have pulled up a few fish over the years with various objects in them, on them, around them. Guess it just swam into the gasket and it stayed there.

52 minutes ago, Restyle said:

Nice few breambos there mate, what recipe are you gunna use to cook the gasket ring thing in?

The rubbish bin recipe for the gasket.

I was fishing in the spot where you have seen me before, but nothing doing for a legal fish. Not even a tailor.

53 minutes ago, Yowie said:

The rubbish bin recipe for the gasket.

I was fishing in the spot where you have seen me before, but nothing doing for a legal fish. Not even a tailor.

I’ve seen you in quite a few spots haha, ether way, always next time 

42 minutes ago, Larkin said:

A couple of nice bream! 👍

your mums place always seems to produce a few.

Happy with the bream, better than nothing.

After I threw in the bream skeletons, a few legal bream swam about.

7 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice catch Dave, if only a little quiet by your standards.

I guess fish don't have hands, so if one gets a ring like that around it, they either can wriggle out of it, or it stays there.

Thanks Mike. The ring had been there for some time, weed growth on it, and it was cutting into the flesh on the back.

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice breambos Dave, and nice to rescue a soapy too! Maybe this rain will stir things up a bit:)

Bream better than nothing.

Can only hope the rain will colour up the water.

32 minutes ago, Paikea said:

Hi Yowie

Do you still want the maps.

If so please call (04177778710 to agree a time to pick them up

Cheers

Paikea

Yep, I will call you.