Hack King, whiting and PB Lud

I took my son and his mate out for a fish this morning to try and get one of them onto a king. The boys left early to go and catch some yakkas but only 3 were secured and pretty big ones. I picked them up and headed up river to try to get a few poddies to bulk up the live bait.

Dropped the trap in and the tide was starting to crank in. The boys each put a yakka on and we slow trolled them through a channel into deeper water and my son's mate's rod bent over. Drag was set very light and the fish took off with ease, I helped him tighten the drag and then the fight began. Fortunately we were a good 100m from any moored boats and after a good fight up comes his first king at 78cm! We dispatched it and put it in the chilly bag with some ice bricks.

We were all pretty happy with that result at 8:30am and collected a few poddies from the trap and soaked them on the troll in a number of spots for no joy. 

I dropped the boys back at the wharf about 11am and headed to the flats to try a few nippers I had collected yesterday arvo. There wasn't much run or wind so the action wasn't that great but I managed a feed of whiting a a bruiser of a lud, coming in at 46cm, a PB for me. Off the water by 12:30:)

Just finished cleaning the catch and I'll take some kingy fillets as commission and give the rest to my son's mate:)

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

• Like 17

Nice sized king for the hacking and good feed overall. Well done mate!

Plenty of the small lollipop sized yakkas along gunnamatta wharf at the moment at dawn with burley. Bait and hook will get you larger ones, but the tiny hooked sabiki size 10 (marushin brand) seem to catch only the little ones - well they did for me when I tested the spot recently.

15 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good to see the boys coming out with you. Stonker lud. I’d have kept it for myself!

Thanks, The lud had some decent fillets on it!

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Very nice there Rob.

A good kingie, big blackfish (they can go hard on the whiting gear) and a few nice whiting. 👍

Thanks Dave, the 6lb got a workout and I was happy for my son's mate getting a decent king first up....lucky boy!

12 hours ago, Crabstar said:

A feed is a feed!
Good size king and the whiting are nice and sweet.

Having a terrible season finding any poddies, i wonder if the rains we had ;last year have turned them off?

Thanks Crabstar, poddies were big ones and have been hard to get for me this season too. Last season I could bag out in 30minutes:(

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

Great report and fabulous fish - especially the big Lud!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

What a top effort for the boys - a solid Kingie - such fun to hear “ The scream of the reel”. That Lud, was an absolute cracker Rob, well done.👏👏

It's a good feeling to get youngsters onto a decent fish and the lud was my bonus!

42 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice sized king for the hacking and good feed overall. Well done mate!

Plenty of the small lollipop sized yakkas along gunnamatta wharf at the moment at dawn with burley. Bait and hook will get you larger ones, but the tiny hooked sabiki size 10 (marushin brand) seem to catch only the little ones - well they did for me when I tested the spot recently.

Good to know Chris, the boys went out an hour earlier and could only manage a few, I'll try those jigs next time!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jenno64 said:

I took my son and his mate out for a fish this morning to try and get one of them onto a king. The boys left early to go and catch some yakkas but only 3 were secured and pretty big ones. I picked them up and headed up river to try to get a few poddies to bulk up the live bait.

Dropped the trap in and the tide was starting to crank in. The boys each put a yakka on and we slow trolled them through a channel into deeper water and my son's mate's rod bent over. Drag was set very light and the fish took off with ease, I helped him tighten the drag and then the fight began. Fortunately we were a good 100m from any moored boats and after a good fight up comes his first king at 78cm! We dispatched it and put it in the chilly bag with some ice bricks.

We were all pretty happy with that result at 8:30am and collected a few poddies from the trap and soaked them on the troll in a number of spots for no joy. 

I dropped the boys back at the wharf about 11am and headed to the flats to try a few nippers I had collected yesterday arvo. There wasn't much run or wind so the action wasn't that great but I managed a feed of whiting a a bruiser of a lud, coming in at 46cm, a PB for me. Off the water by 12:30:)

Just finished cleaning the catch and I'll take some kingy fillets as commission and give the rest to my son's mate:)

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

I grew up eating (and later catching) luderick from the rocks near Laperouse.  When kept alive till it is time to go and then bled and cleaned  of all the black stomach lining and blood on the spine they are great eating  with absolutely no iodine/weedy taste. - especially when battered and fried. That fish looks like it would have been a great one for your table and the whiting are top notch tucker too. U read the posts of fish from the Hacking and always think it is great that it is still producing such good fish

• Like 1