Advice on Fishing Stiff water

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

Been a while since I have posted in the fishing forums. Basically I've been trying to figure out how to land something worth reporting on in all this stiff water ... any advice?

image.thumb.png.3d4aae76d8e71fa3f63d6b99b9158b3c.png

image.thumb.png.a65a03b8e18b131d05d71f137d60fb74.png

Anyway ... so far I've managed to keep all my lines tight and to avoid major snags ... still hoping to land a big one tho! 

image.thumb.png.4251f489ad12ddbc981c471ef4bdd43d.png

Be back soon ... please leave some Mahi Mahi for me !

Cheers 

Zoran

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Looks like whover owns the lines in the top right of your first pic is doing ok...looks like a triple or even possibly a quad hook up.

Have a word with him (or her), there's prolly some local knowledge you're missing out on.

Sorry I can't be more specific as I only ever fish at sea level.

I hope you manage to make the best of what look like very trying conditions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wondered where you have been hiding 😂.

You might think you are on the top of the world in the photos, however, the top of the world is here in Syd-ney. Fresh fish to be caught here, not the frozen stuff around you. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JustJames said:

Looks like whover owns the lines in the top right of your first pic is doing ok...looks like a triple or even possibly a quad hook up.

Yup. They have strange trolling setup here for sure. Still haven’t figured if it’s Yam or Merc powered tho 🫣. I’ll report back if I find out. 

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Wondered where you have been hiding 😂.

You might think you are on the top of the world in the photos, however, the top of the world is here in Syd-ney. Fresh fish to be caught here, not the frozen stuff around you. 

Hiding in plain sight - if you know where to look!  Not everything is frozen… quite a bit of SP here !!! Which might make somebody irate for sure 😂

SP- soft powder !

12 hours ago, big Neil said:

Have fun Zoran while the rest of us bake in the midday sun. Looking forward to your reports when you get back on the water.

bn

Thanks BN. I hop to be posting soon too. I wish there was a way to download and catch up on all the reports offline - I’ve got 20+hours of travel on the way back. Take care. 

12 hours ago, Burger said:

That's some fine looking snow Zoran!

Canada?

Thanks @Burger … snow?!?! All I see is stiff water… still trying to understand all the local species and their habits… seems after hours of dashing around stiff water they all converge on local watering holes - I don’t remember much after that 🤔

But yes BC, Canada. 

11 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

That is the beautiful place you go to each year about this time. 
Please give us a travelogue when you return  

Thanks Donna… I fear everyone would be bored 🥱… unless they are stiff water addicted?

Cheers everyone!

Z

• Haha 2

🤔 I wonder if I can convert my yammie to air cooled and use my polycraft for that 🤣🤣🤣

🤔 maybe a dragon boat would be more fun 🤣🤣 

If that was in Sydney you can guarantee there would be a pack of clowns on jet skis going down there.🤣🤣🤣

Edited by XD351
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, campr said:

Have you tried using frozen peas for bait ???

Hmmm not so far 🤔… but I have used them to sooth the joints used to keep the lines straight 😆

• Haha 1

Putting a (still)frozen pea on a hook - now there’s a task I would look forward to! Would be like trying to thread a ball bearing in to a hook  🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

IMG_2090.gif.21846d5174b9a3ab6b613f6d6ff94c86.gif

I knew you'd figure it out Fabian ...  clearly I'm laying lines way too close to the TOP of the tide ... you reckon I'd do better when it drops eh? ...

image.thumb.png.485adb254f07540130f12387e28c4f6b.png

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I knew you'd figure it out Fabian ...  clearly I'm laying lines way too close to the TOP of the tide ... you reckon I'd do better when it drops eh? ...

image.thumb.png.485adb254f07540130f12387e28c4f6b.png

Guaranteed.

Zoran, 

Could not leave your boat just sitting there doing nothing, engine not running, spiders building webs inside, so I took it for a run. 

Trolls well at a slow speed, so I let out a line and hooked a couple of big bonnies. Unfortunately one of them was deep hooked so it bled quite a bit inside the boat as it was thrashing around on the floor. I managed to get most of the blood stains off, just a few left behind so now it looks like a real fishing boat.  :074:

Dave.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Yowie said:

Zoran, 

Could not leave your boat just sitting there doing nothing, engine not running, spiders building webs inside, so I took it for a run. 

Trolls well at a slow speed, so I let out a line and hooked a couple of big bonnies. Unfortunately one of them was deep hooked so it bled quite a bit inside the boat as it was thrashing around on the floor. I managed to get most of the blood stains off, just a few left behind so now it looks like a real fishing boat.  :074:

Dave.

Oh Dave ... you really must be missing me ... you risked a grand theft charge just to keep the motor ticking over ... you are such a champion mate !!!

BTW, hope you cut my lawn while there ?

PS - Don't worry about the fishy blood ... I have a scrubber with your name on it ... I'll supervise you detailing devOcean after your next outing.

Cheers Z

• Haha 3