Bate Bay

Headed out into Bate Bay late yesterday arvo with my mate in his boat to Spot X. About 1.5 metre swell and not much wind.

Anchored and dropped over some burley. Pulled up 2 good sized slimies and never saw another one after that. As it was, those 2 slimies were filleted, cut into strip baits and that was all we needed for bait. Drop a strip over, lift it a little bit off the bottom, then jig it or let the rocking boat move the bait.

About an hour before sunset, the trags showed up. One or 2, then a little break, then another couple, then quiet again, the last one biting about half an hour after sunset. We pulled up 19 trags, kept what we needed for a couple of feeds each, and released the rest. From 42 to 48 cm long. In between trags there were reef rubbish fish, and the reddie just over the limit.

I also pulled up a kingie about the 60cm mark, then a little while later pulled up another one to the side of the boat, this one past size, however, one last run and the hook pulled.

After sunset, a couple of tailor showed up, the biggest one at 43cm. We were bitten off by a couple of them probably near the 50cm mark, the problem of using a single hook.

The bites slowed near full darkness, so we headed home.

fish.jpeg.437_files_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 20

Nice catch Dave!

Top feed in that lot!

You get bitten off straight away or during the fight when the tailor took your hook?

My mate got bitten through 80lb twice last week - likely a shark though.

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch Dave!

Top feed in that lot!

You get bitten off straight away or during the fight when the tailor took your hook?

My mate got bitten through 80lb twice last week - likely a shark though.

A couple feeds each, plus salting the tailor fillets for bait.

The largest tailor was thrashing around on the surface when he bit through 20lb. A circle hook does not stand a chance on the larger tailor, it goes straight down the mouth. A couple of the trags were hooked on circles, but the hook was still down the throat.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff Yowie, good feed there. 

Well done.

Thank you Issac, never hooked so many trags in the one session.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

• Yowie changed the title to Bate Bay

Well done on the Trag Yowie - they are great eating fish. What was the depth of the water that you in. Fascinated how they came in on dark. I've only caught them about 7km's offshore in 50m of water.  Bruce

50 minutes ago, The Rev said:

Well done on the Trag Yowie - they are great eating fish. What was the depth of the water that you in. Fascinated how they came in on dark. I've only caught them about 7km's offshore in 50m of water.  Bruce

Thank you. 40 feet of water. 

5 minutes ago, kantong said:

a great result mate, location and timing produces the goods.

In the right spot at the right time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, linewetter said:

Man I’m reading this while working…am jealous of the size and quantity of your catch! 

Just a lucky day with so many swimming about. Did not need many so most were sent back. Bag limit for trags is 5 per fisho.

36 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Nice catch Dave ... well done. I've been hearing that trag have been popping up but could not find any on Monday. Shoulder healed up? 

Cheers Zoran

Thanks Zoran. Plenty of trags down south, not big ones but nice sized fillets off them.

The shoulder scar is infected, now on antibiotics to try and clear it up. The lower back scar is not a problem, healing nicely.

• Sad 1

You did well on the Trag Yowie and will have some tasty fish for a while, not that you're often short of some fish to eat. Do you have an opinion on the whereabouts of the Flatties? Not many reports of any good catches at the usual locations at present.

Cheers, bn

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, big Neil said:

You did well on the Trag Yowie and will have some tasty fish for a while, not that you're often short of some fish to eat. Do you have an opinion on the whereabouts of the Flatties? Not many reports of any good catches at the usual locations at present.

Cheers, bn

Have never pulled up that many trags in the one session.

As for the blue spot flatties, only guessing that they have moved further offshore, but that is only a guess. When I drifted 200 feet (60 metres) of water, I found that the tiger flatties were there off Cronulla (though scattered about and mostly undersized). Cannot give a definite answer, other than that has happened before and the blue spots have eventually returned.

Edited by Yowie
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 5:47 PM, Basil D said:

Indeed a good feed , these would have to be one of the tastiest fish around

Thanks Basil, the trags are quite good eating. Plenty of trags out there.