Dusted 5 times in 1 day

Hi all, I went down to a wharf near Circular Quay for a flick with @44jeff, hoping to catch something decent for a bit of fun. Since I would arrive about 15 minutes early, the original plan was for me to catch a squid for bait. After seeing the huge surgeonfish and bream feeding on the pylons that plan was quickly abandoned 😂 , so I squished some bread onto the hook and sent it down. The bream came up to my bait and nosed it before bolting, as did the surgeon. I continued to fish with the bread, and pretty soon I raised a school of black trevally, or rabbitfish, from the depths. They picked and nibbled at my bait, before one finally swallowed it down and I set the hook. The fight did not last very long, as the frayed line from the last session caused me to snap off as soon as the fish went for a run. Lesson learned 😥

While I was rerigging, my friend arrived and we began to fish together with some chicken that he had brought down. However, the fishing was quite slow, and nothing was caught for the next 1.5 hours. After a bit of burleying though, we managed to tempt the rabbitfish out and I managed to catch one. It put on a crazy fight for only being a 25cm fish, with long runs towards the poles and strong headshakes. Knowing how painful the spikes could be, after I brain spiked it I cut off all its nasty appendages. 

Screenshot2024-03-16181020.thumb.png.775a99734e5afd1fef8b124369788a9b.png

After the rabbit was caught, its friends seemed to have spooked and the school had disappeared. This is when me and jeff decided to move to the other side of the wharf, and seeing the big bream that were lurking there, we began to burley up with small pieces of bread. Pretty soon, we had them turned on and they began slurping off pieces off the top. Again, I put on some bread and dropped it down, and they were on it almost immediately. The second largest of the group (around mid-high thirties) came up to my bait and circled it for a bit, before finally swallowing it down and promptly snapping me off on a pylon 😡. Hands shaking, I rerigged, hoping for a second chance. However, we had run out of bread! I ran around a kilometre and back to the nearest woolworths to secure more of the stuff. After burleying again, the bream were back. This time, a smaller model (around 25-27cm) took my bait, and after a hectic fight around the pylons I was able to land it. After landing the fish the ferry came, and its wash caused our burley drift away from the wharf consequently taking the group of bream with it 😭.

Screenshot2024-03-16182440.thumb.png.8d01a8038cd9cfadcf32f214ac75b3e3.png

After the excitement of the bream, the wharf went quiet. Other than seeing a juvenile pennant fish, nothing exciting happened. We moved around a bit, going off the wharf and onto the boardwalks. Using the same strategy as before, we burleyed up with small chunks of bread soon we had attracted another school. This group was very shy though, and we only managed one hookup. We decided to move back to the wharf, where jeff's luderick rod went off while his back was turned and his rod was almost pulled in. Unfortunately, the fish wasn't landed. We called the day on that note. Fun day out, but i'm still spewing at that bream that I lost, wouldv'e been a PB for sure. Also if your'e wondering why the post says i was dusted 5 times, its because i got snapped off by some other rabbitfish, they just go too hard!

Screenshot2024-03-16182738.thumb.png.a4b492ac713b3e35bf4915492f144e53.png

• Like 13

Lesson learned mate. Check your gear before you start fishing, cos the very first bite may be the fish of a lifetime...you never know.

Sounds like you guys had a good time trying to outwit the fish and had some fun.

I will look forward to reading your next report.

bn

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fried Rice said:

Sounds like an entertaining session, I've never seen nor heard of rabbit fish before. Are they tasty? Looks like you need to respool your reel.

They are good for congestion and fight hard. I caught a 35 cm specimen and it gave me a run for money on 20lb

• Like 1

Sounds like a pretty good session. Those big Bream don’t grow to that size if they’re silly.

Theharbour is full of rabbit fish or black trevally as we call them, bait stealing pest to a blackfisho but excellent eating I hear.

A member called Krispy! used to fish around the pylons at Hickson Rd using 80lb braid straight to the hook to get the big surgeons.

Edited by Ryder
Spelling they’re
  • Like 3