ryobi RLT1038X whipper snipper advice needed please.

leonardgid

hello everyone , ive had this Ryobi  electric corded  whipper snipper for about 6 years  and i was wondering if i have to replace  brushes in the motor ?   does anyone know anything about these motors please ?  thank you for your reply 

Product photo of Ryobi Strimmer

its working ok  the motor is running  just a little,... how can i  describe it ?    dry,, or a little rough, i dont know much about electric motors  and i was thinking that if i spend a few dollars this would last me another 5 years 

If the brushes have worn out you’ll get loss of power from the motor and sparks shooting out of the motor.  There will also be a smell - like a short circuit electrical smell. 
Perhaps the bearings or bushes are starting to go. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

If the brushes have worn out you’ll get loss of power from the motor and sparks shooting out of the motor.  There will also be a smell - like a short circuit electrical smell. 
Perhaps the bearings or bushes are starting to go. 
cheers Zoran 

thanks  Zoran ,  

18 hours ago, Restyle said:

Surprised a ryobi tools lasted 6 years. It’s had a very good life 

My Ryobi petrol edger is 25 years plus and still going strong.   

Edited by Welster

I use Makita, not Ryobi and replaced brushes in my SDS drill recently. Brushes are much the same for most things that use them. The process to swap them over is fairly easy (but fiddly).

Take off the brush covers (either they'll screw all the way screw past a locking position they should come out but it may take some fenangling), remove the existing brush, taking care to check it orientation. Look for a wear indicator marker on the carbon block. Brushes tend to wear on one side more than the other. If it is worn to or past the indicator, reverse the orientation when you put it back. Do it on both sides. Assuming brushes are your problem, that should keep you going until you get another set. 

Next problem is to find the manual (use Ryobi and the model plus 'manual' in a web search). Download it (when you find one you can download). You may find a parts diagram. If not, back the the internet and search for parts list/ parts diagram, etc. Find the part number.

Search eBay for the part number. You'll probably get a generic equivalent that lists your Ryobi part number.

You may even be able to find brushes to fit Ryobi {model number} without the hunt for the part number. If ebay fails, AliExpress may have them.

On 3/18/2024 at 12:11 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

My advisor tells me that it has seen better days.

Time to buy a nice new one :) preferably a good petrol one. 

thank you 

On 3/18/2024 at 12:52 PM, Restyle said:

Surprised a ryobi tools lasted 6 years. It’s had a very good life 

as well as any ,   i try to take care of  all tools the best i can 

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

I use Makita, not Ryobi and replaced brushes in my SDS drill recently. Brushes are much the same for most things that use them. The process to swap them over is fairly easy (but fiddly).

Take off the brush covers (either they'll screw all the way screw past a locking position they should come out but it may take some fenangling), remove the existing brush, taking care to check it orientation. Look for a wear indicator marker on the carbon block. Brushes tend to wear on one side more than the other. If it is worn to or past the indicator, reverse the orientation when you put it back. Do it on both sides. Assuming brushes are your problem, that should keep you going until you get another set. 

Next problem is to find the manual (use Ryobi and the model plus 'manual' in a web search). Download it (when you find one you can download). You may find a parts diagram. If not, back the the internet and search for parts list/ parts diagram, etc. Find the part number.

Search eBay for the part number. You'll probably get a generic equivalent that lists your Ryobi part number.

You may even be able to find brushes to fit Ryobi {model number} without the hunt for the part number. If ebay fails, AliExpress may have them.

ive replaced  the brushes  in my cordless drill  so ive got some idea ,, i just dont know if this model  has brushes  or doesnt , some of them dont  i believe 

1 hour ago, leonardgid said:

ive replaced  the brushes  in my cordless drill  so ive got some idea ,, i just dont know if this model  has brushes  or doesnt , some of them dont  i believe 

Look for coin sized covers on opposite sides of the motor (wrong machine but it will give you the idea). If they don't exist, it is likely to be brushless. You should be able to check if you search manual/parts diagram. In pdf format, just search for 'brush'. If it is brushless, you probably need a new one.

Mine Makita is 36V (2X18v batteries) and I consider that OK for doing all the edges with a metal blade and some slashing with the cord trimmer at the back on one pair of batteries. What you buy would depend on what you need to use it for.

Edited by Steve0
Insert link to photo

On 3/19/2024 at 5:17 PM, Steve0 said:

Look for coin sized covers on opposite sides of the motor (wrong machine but it will give you the idea). If they don't exist, it is likely to be brushless. You should be able to check if you search manual/parts diagram. In pdf format, just search for 'brush'. If it is brushless, you probably need a new one.

Mine Makita is 36V (2X18v batteries) and I consider that OK for doing all the edges with a metal blade and some slashing with the cord trimmer at the back on one pair of batteries. What you buy would depend on what you need to use it for.

thanks