Full moon and fishing

Hi all,

I'd like to go out fishing tonight off the rocks. But I've heard people say fishing while a full moon isn't productive. 

Is there any truths to this? And what have been your experiences?

Thanks

Seems this gets asked every full moon…….if you don’t go, you definately won’t catch anything! Fish don’t starve to death during a full moon.

• Like 3

As noel says, go fishing and find out for yourself. All the old sayings are there to be queried. I once had a skipper of a commercial charter tell me "You have picked the worst time to fish because there's a neap tide". We caught heaps of good quality fish.bn

• Like 1

My experience as a night fisherman is the full moon sucks. Exciting high tides in the estuaries but rubbish fishing. 
Yes it’s an easy bogeyman to blame and I’ll still go anyway but I’ve had enough bad nights fishing on a full moon to believe the pattern.

maybe tonight is different there’s a lunar eclipse at 7.03pm Sydney time 

edit: agree it’s still worth going out as you definitely catching nothing at home, and it’s always a pleasure being out under moonlight. Not much prettier than a full moon on the waters edge 

Edited by Mike Sydney
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, NewToFishing said:

Thanks for the advice guys, could not make it today, hopefully sometime this week.

Its a good thing you didnt. Swell periods high, was about 15secs in the day, 13 at night and a bit higher today. Would be pretty dangerous most rock ledges.

1 hour ago, xerotao said:

Smashed the tailors last night on a full moon. Left them biting as we we got our bag limit within an 1hr

Oh mate, I feel bad not going now hahah, good job man which bait?

6 hours ago, Rob81 said:

Its a good thing you didnt. Swell periods high, was about 15secs in the day, 13 at night and a bit higher today. Would be pretty dangerous most rock ledges.

If swell is 1 metre, would a 13 second period be ok? 

I was always just checking the swell height.

6 minutes ago, NewToFishing said:

If swell is 1 metre, would a 13 second period be ok? 

I was always just checking the swell height.

It depends on structure. It should be okish as long as there isn't any submerged ledge in front to raise wave high. Ideally under 1m or a ledge facing other direction or better yet a high ledge

Few ledges northern beaches fit description. More down south Sydney 

Edited by faker

17 minutes ago, faker said:

It depends on structure. It should be okish as long as there isn't any submerged ledge in front to raise wave high. Ideally under 1m or a ledge facing other direction or better yet a high ledge

Few ledges northern beaches fit description. More down south Sydney 

Yea makes sense mate , usually ledges I go down south are pretty high, much safer that way, thanks.