Mullet on metal

Headed up North Avalon to visit family yesterday and my son and I took a rood each to a flick off the beach. We hit the beach in the early arvo and worked our way up through various gutters, my son with a small metal and I was using a soft vibe hoping for a flatty in the gutter. Right where the swimmers were, I spotted a school of what I thought was about 50 salmon in the breaking waves. I switched over to a small metal and tried casting to the side of the school but they kept disappearing and reappearing 50m up and down the beach. I was also getting the hairy eyeball froma few simmers as I was casting in between them😄. I got a few hits then finally hooked a fish and it came up the beach flapping away. My son grabbed it as it spat the metal and to our surprise it was a fat mullet! After reading some recent posts I decided to keep it and dispatched it on the beach. Fillets are ready to go for a meal this week:) Unusual catch on a metal! Maybe I should have hung around until dark and lobbed out a fillet🤔

Mullet on sand.jpg

Mullet on tape.jpg

mullet on plate.jpg

• Like 15

Early April is when the mullet run, out of the estuaries and into the ocean. I think Narrabeen lagoon opened up recently and maybe it came from there.  

Great catch! Sometimes fish just wanna break the lure rules I guess. I caught a bream on metal jig recently which seriously surprised me. And I was using 10lb leader!

• Like 2

I really doubt the mullet tried to eat the metal lure and was prolly foul hooked. The few "hits" you got were most likely the lure bumping into the school of fish not them actually biting it.

Deffo should have put a fillet out as a bait with the school of mullet there might likely have been a predator about.

8 hours ago, Houdini said:

I really doubt the mullet tried to eat the metal lure and was prolly foul hooked. The few "hits" you got were most likely the lure bumping into the school of fish not them actually biting it.

Deffo should have put a fillet out as a bait with the school of mullet there might likely have been a predator about.

I have got them on plastics or nippers but this one ate the treble👌

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Decent size mullet

how’d it go on the plate? 

I filleted all the dark flesh out and did them with some other flatty fillets in salt, pepper and flour for burritos with Guacamole. Strong Tate but went down well👌