Bate Bay

Headed out this arvo with my fishing mate to Bate Bay, his usual spot. No trags today, however, the pike were there instead.

Caught a couple of slimies, so kept them for strip baits. Floated out a strip bait, the bonnie grabbed it. My biggest one at 57cm. Tried another floating strip bait, and the reddie grabbed it. Several fast runs, thought a kingie at first, then a change in fighting tactics, then the red colour under the boat. :thumbup: My equal best at 63cm.

For burley we used chopped up slimey bones and the heads and shells of cooked king prawns. I had to eat something while I was fishing away!

A bit of reef rubbish biting, then at half dark, the tailor came on the bite. The biggest at 48cm, and my mate kept on getting bitten off before he landed a few. Most released, we could have filled a tub there were so many swimming about. Mate also pulled up a few slimies bigger than 40cm, good sized ones on the bite.

Schools of sea garfish swimming about the boat, which probably attracted the tailor to the boat. I managed to scoop up 2 gars, the others swam/jumped out of the net. Headed home as we had enough for a feed. Very happy with the reddie.

fish.jpeg.445_files_files_files.jpg

fish.jpeg.446_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 17

7 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice Red Dave!

Some nice fillets to come off that one. 
Big Bonnie too. 

Thanks Chris, very happy with the reddie.

The bonnie was going hard too. Swallowed the circle hook but not bitten off.

Great example of that old adage "you never know what you're gunna get" Yowie. We truly live in the best country in the world for saltwater fishing. Lovely Snapper, how will that be cooked?

bn

56 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Great example of that old adage "you never know what you're gunna get" Yowie. We truly live in the best country in the world for saltwater fishing. Lovely Snapper, how will that be cooked?

bn

Thanks b.n.

Cut off the fillets, then in to steaks. Probably pan fry with some addatives for flavouring, some to be frozen for later.

56 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Fantastic bag Dave!

Congrats on a couple of boat PBs🎉

Enjoy the feast👌

Thanks Rob. Would have been happy with only the reddie.

22 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Congrats Dave. Smashing red. You’d be very happy with that. Well done. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran. Certainly happy with the red.

1 hour ago, LuckyFil said:

Sounds like a great session - lovely Reddie!

Thank you. Don't often catch them that size in Bate Bay.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Very nice Yowie, good going compared to down south. Nothing to show for three days fishing

Thank you, the reddie at that size was good eating - 2 nights of feeds.

Does not sound good for down south.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Thank you, the reddie at that size was good eating - 2 nights of feeds.

Does not sound good for down south.

Not good at all, had live poddies and not flathead in 3 days of fishing. Almost like it was winter, this time last year we were pulling in models over 70cm consistently.