Dreaming of krakens

Posted (edited)

So I originally had a shorejigging session in the harbour this morning with some friends @Lozzz. But I woke up 1 hour earlier then required to reach meetup spot on time. 

Instead of trying to sleep, I just went off to a nearby bay to have a fish for squid. After 5 cast and working it like a plastic just keeping it off bottom.I felt a massive weight on my rod and my drag started going off and the familiar pulsing movement of a squid. Knowing its not my ordinary arrow squid but instead a huge calamari, I winded every time it stopped pulsing. I had to be very careful and patient managing drag due to it being 6lb braid with 6lb leader.

I washed a 30cm hood calamari carefully onto the rocks. After a couple more casts . I moved further along the weed beds.

Managed to land another 23cm calamari. By that time it was time to go to meet everyone else. But I bagged 2 green eyes in a hour.

Shore jigging session was chilly but one of us hooked a 52cm bonnie

image.thumb.png.bd47feaf60939a069c6ebe5e99435a4f.pngimage.thumb.png.96ec43b59879b22ce69bf444ee9b172b.png

Edited by faker
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

Made being up early worth it - a good result there

Definitely, i woke up and was thinking this was a bad idea but i just thought lets yolo this

59 minutes ago, lhan said:

Great catch! I was always wanting to catch one or two squid but never succeeded!

i know a couple of spots reason i kind of want a egi set up so i can jig 20 gram jigs as well. Normally i go find spots and ask @DerekDif he has fished them for a opinion or try a couple of times myself. I spend hours looking at depth maps looking for likely spots then plan a trip. only donut 1/10 trips now days

21 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nice squid. You don't catch them sleeping in bed. 😂

I am starting to enjoy squid fishing these days.

Nice size! Well done on your catch. Good size to make calamari rings. 

plenty of large squid around atm - most are carrying eggs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice size! Well done on your catch. Good size to make calamari rings. 

plenty of large squid around atm - most are carrying eggs. 

I have not seen any. Arrow squid in ages