Snapper Longreef

Went out to try get some snapper from long reef today, most of the time I target kingfish but want to try give snapper a go this winter and am fairly new to it. I watched YouTube videos on rigs, baits and how to catch them and went out with some confidence. I started at 25m in the morning and slowly moved deeper as the day went on like the videos said  but couldn’t get any, it was also a bit windy so made drifting a bit harder. I tried looking for gravel on my sounder but was a bit confused if wether I was over gravel or not. I plan on heading out again tomorrow, if anyone could give me any tips or point me in the right direction to find snapper around longreef area or near the Sydney heads it would be much appreciated. 

thanks, Max 

• Like 1

First lesson. Don't believe You Tube. It is the baby of Facebook. ( IMO )

Try Curl Curl  rocks. Up near the pool. Sunrise is the go. Fresh squid is the bait. 12FT Surf rod.

Good luck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, james Cutler said:

First lesson. Don't believe You Tube. It is the baby of Facebook. ( IMO )

Try Curl Curl  rocks. Up near the pool. Sunrise is the go. Fresh squid is the bait. 12FT Surf rod.

Good luck.

So you don't turn to left where everyone Normally fishes?

Follow the stealth fisha kayaks, they're the locals and know where the fish are. And yeah head out to the left towards narrabeen point, anywhere along there. In saying that, there's not many snapper getting around there at the moment 

I've not specifically fished longreef for snapper but why don't you try closer near the heads or coastline? 

I've had ok results fishing from the kayak chasing snapper.

IMG_7468.jpeg

IMG_5843.jpeg

Edited by whiskey299
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I move around. Stay away from people. There is nothing worse when you are fishing & somebody moves in on you because you are catching fish & they are not.

I also start early & usually nobody is fishing. Never fish on the weekends. To many people

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, james Cutler said:

I move around. Stay away from people. There is nothing worse when you are fishing & somebody moves in on you because you are catching fish & they are not.

I also start early & usually nobody is fishing. Never fish on the weekends. To many people

Totally with you there, where possible I try to fish weekdays by taking annual leave, much more pleasant, less people, less boats.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, whiskey299 said:

Totally with you there, where possible I try to fish weekdays by taking annual leave, much more pleasant, less people, less boats.

are their any heads you know that are within casting distance from shore? i have been trying to study how to wash fish it effectively but not sure which headlands to try

2 hours ago, faker said:

are their any heads you know that are within casting distance from shore? i have been trying to study how to wash fish it effectively but not sure which headlands to try

sorry mate never done distance casting

He Max, best results I’ve had on snapper have been (boat):

* early morning (pre sunrise)

* burley

* very light or unweighted bait

* burley

* small live or fresh flesh baits (bonito, slimies, yakka)

* squid is great, but attracts lots of pickers

* burley

* just after a big blow (southerly)

* PRAY ( Jesus 4 closest mates were fishermen - I reckon He’s got the good oil)

(Don’t forget to burley)

@whiskey299 is a legend - follow his advise

IMG_2019.jpeg

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_6170.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 7

On 6/20/2024 at 3:14 PM, whiskey299 said:

I've not specifically fished longreef for snapper but why don't you try closer near the heads or coastline? 

I've had ok results fishing from the kayak chasing snapper.

IMG_7468.jpeg

IMG_5843.jpeg

Looks like you keep every fish you catch? I see Sweep, Parrot fish, Butchers, Rock Cod.

Not suggesting any shame, it’s just that there’s a long list of what I consider “throw backs” but all are legal to keep, and if you like them, then so be it.

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

He Max, best results I’ve had on snapper have been (boat):

* early morning (pre sunrise)

* burley

* very light or unweighted bait

* burley

* small live or fresh flesh baits (bonito, slimies, yakka)

* squid is great, but attracts lots of pickers

* burley

* just after a big blow (southerly)

* PRAY ( Jesus 4 closest mates were fishermen - I reckon He’s got the good oil)

(Don’t forget to burley)

@whiskey299 is a legend - follow his advise

IMG_2019.jpeg

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_6170.jpeg

I think I am seeing a pattern in your answer, oh burley master.  But what do you use for your magic burley?

• Like 1

Fish shallower  front edges or back edges of reefs   not on top  too much rubbish

Floating baits or as light as current allows  dont be scared to use large baits  i use half large slimys tailer or yakkas   they love the heads   burley  with bread and anything fishy you can throw in it  results will come

20200413_185128.jpg

• Like 7

On 6/22/2024 at 6:26 PM, Robbo from Sydney said:

I think I am seeing a pattern in your answer, oh burley master.  But what do you use for your magic burley?

I use whatever frames and heads  and leftover bait from previous session - Bonito, Yakka, slimies etc - all seems to work and I never “waste” money buying or using “magic / secret” burley mix. Fish are opportunistic feeders. I float a nice fresh, juicy flesh fillet (slimie, yakka, bonito, squid, cuttlefish (esp the candles). Down the burley trail.

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

I use whatever frames and heads  and leftover bait from previous session - Bonito, Yakka, slimies etc - all seems to work and I never “waste” money buying or using “magic / secret” burley mix. Fish are opportunistic feeders. I float a nice fresh, juicy flesh fillet (slimie, yakka, bonito, squid, cuttlefish (esp the candles). Down the burley trail.

Thanks Pickles. I have an old food processor and munch up whatever left over bait, fish frames and bread roll it up to a size that fitrs my bait bucket and freeze it for the next time - so sounds like a similar approach to you

Because this thread is for Long Reef fishing specifically I thought I would offer my two cents worth. You have already received a stack of very worthwhile tips and tactics. In particular, Pickles contributions have been right on the money. The way I have fished for reds out of 'Longy 'is pretty black and white. Either the fish are there, or they're not. As per Pickles, to maximise your chances launch your boat the first day possible after a big Southerly stir up. When launching out of Longy be aware of the bombie (White Rock) that breaks near the point before you head South. I will give you two GPS marks:

O'Shannesy's 33 45 110 E 151 20 105 S

O'Shannesy's is the staple go to for most red fisho's out of the reef. The mark I have given you drops off the shoulder of the reef on the western side. The ground is dense with kelp, hence if you let a fish get it's head down you may struggle to lift it out of the thick weed. I used to run a Shimano 4500 baitrunner with a small pea sinker. When the fish runs you need to lift it to try to clear the kelp.

Dickies' Hole 33 46 272 E 151 21 479 S  One of my own, and a little bit wider than O'Shannesy's. Slightly deeper and not as much kelp. Not fished as regularly.

The two things I must stress re fishing out of Long Reef are 1.   Yes Burley as per Pickles and everyone above

2. Gauge the current once you have anchored up. Expend some early burley but if the current is straight up and down, or running uphill then you need to try another ground/depth. The old adage, 'no wobble, no gobble' rings very true here. There is no point hanging around if the fish aren't there. There are other options such as close fishing for a king, or drifting for lizards so ensure you are geared up for multiple scenarios when you launch.

Favourite baits for reds: 1.Striped Tuna 2.Slimey Mackeral 3. Cuttlefish candles (if you can get them).  

• Like 2