Avalon Beach Fishing Wednesday

Is that the Sun ?  Couldn't believe it. Nice cool morning.

Quite to start. First up a tailor. Then another tailor. ( released. )

Moved 100 metres. Caught two nice bream 32 & 34cm.

Next was a nice flathead 35cm. Went quite.

There was an elderly guy watching me. He walked up to me & said hello. I thought here we go.

I have been here for an hour & caught nothing. He was using chicken for bait. We got talking, he was a WW2 Vet. 92 years old.

I had a look at his rig. 12ft bamboo rod. I hadn't seen one of those since my Father use to fish. It was old. I went up to my car & had a look at what rods I had with me. I usually have several rods with me just in case. I had a 12ft Jarvis walker rod, I didn't really need anymore, so I gave it to him. Better than what he had.

I gave him some real bait & said good luck & left.

Gear.

I was using a 12ft Penn Prevail with a 4000 Kastking reel & circle hooks. I also had my 11ft  Dawia over there rod with a Fin-nor 80 reel for lures.

Bait was fresh squid, pilchards & worms.

Nice to help out a real person.

• Like 22

5 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Is that the Sun ?  Couldn't believe it. Nice cool morning.

Quite to start. First up a tailor. Then another tailor. ( released. )

Moved 100 metres. Caught two nice bream 32 & 34cm.

Next was a nice flathead 35cm. Went quite.

There was an elderly guy watching me. He walked up to me & said hello. I thought here we go.

I have been here for an hour & caught nothing. He was using chicken for bait. We got talking, he was a WW2 Vet. 92 years old.

I had a look at his rig. 12ft bamboo rod. I hadn't seen one of those since my Father use to fish. It was old. I went up to my car & had a look at what rods I had with me. I usually have several rods with me just in case. I had a 12ft Jarvis walker rod, I didn't really need anymore, so I gave it to him. Better than what he had.

I gave him some real bait & said good luck & left.

Gear.

I was using a 12ft Penn Prevail with a 4000 Kastking reel & circle hooks. I also had my 11ft  Dawia over there rod with a Fin-nor 80 reel for lures.

Bait was fresh squid, pilchards & worms.

Nice to help out a real person.

Which kastking reel did you have?

What a fabulous thing to do James...I AM PROUD OF YOU and I don't know you.

What you did is the very thing that needs to be done more if humanity is to benefit from our time on this planet. Little bits of kindness, generosity, thoughtfulness toward others have become a rarity these days.

I hope he uses the rod and catches lots of fish...he is obviously passionate about his fishing if he still wants to do it at his age,

Good onya, bn

• Like 5

Well he would have been 7 in 1939. You would still have to look as if you were of enlistment age and then you might get away with adding a year or two. Maybe as a drummer boy in the US Civil War - otherwise 13 at the end of hostilities seems far-fetched. 

main-qimg-38cee5d4b3433d3b4ea91a226696f7

Edited by slowjigger
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1