Anyone feeling the pinch?

Fab1

Any of you people feeling the pinch when it comes down to fishing expenses on top of everything else in this crazy world? I’ll be made redundant soon and looking at a 30-50k year pay cut.I haven’t used boat for yonks(mainly family issues) and thinking of A selling her or B trying to find someone to go out with me as my boy works now and mrs has no time caring for family etc.

interested to hear peoples thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Selling the boat is a last resort, but sometimes it’s for the best. Life changes, sometimes it’s forced, sometimes it’s a fork in the road and you decide which way to go. Whatever the outcome, keep positive, lean on friends if need be, never think you are alone.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, noelm said:

Selling the boat is a last resort, but sometimes it’s for the best. Life changes, sometimes it’s forced, sometimes it’s a fork in the road and you decide which way to go. Whatever the outcome, keep positive, lean on friends if need be, never think you are alone.

I think it’s the turn of a new chapter for me mate.Simple as that.No time being the main reason as my boat costs bugger all in the scheme of things to get own, maintain and run.

I’m 99.9% sure very soon my garage will be empty as it’s really annoying watching a  perfectly good boat sitting there doing nothing .

Family first all the way for me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, noelm said:

You know your priorities, do what’s best for the long term.

Family any day of the week mate.I was just wondering that’s all as theirs plenty of people even just at work that have sold boats, given the game away or cut down due to various reasons time and expense being the biggest ones.

plenty of guys at work from central coast they fish Hawkesbury,Lake Macquarie etc.Non raiders.

• Like 2

Does talk of a pay cut mean you have something else lined up?

1. The interest rate is bad for people and hurting some companies.  If you are forced to sell, others are likely to be in the same position. More supply and less demand = price drop (housing prices are propped up by  shortage of supply and high immigration pusing demand). A quick decision either way might be best.
  2. An unused boat loses value. Not quite the same rate as boat in constant use, but down, just the same.  
  3. Shore-based fishing is fishing. If you haven't done a lot, it's a different challenge catching from the other direction.

I understand what it is like giving up having a boat available. Tinnies gone, I bought a Hobie. Having underused that and sold it, I bought a paddle yak. it's been idle for about 5 years, but it is there when I feel the urge! 

As mentioned Fab, sometimes circumstances over ride things, you would certainly not be alone in that situation, priorities take precedence...

If you don't mind the travel Fab, ( south coast ) there's always a spare seat in my Tub if you ever need that fishing fix !!!   As I'm sure there would be opportunities for you closer to home.

Do what is needed at the minute Fab, it always seems to right itself sometime down the line Mate..

I have tried to economise a bit. Seldom buy new rods and reels now. Although I have so many hardly needed. I pick them up at the flea markets - some are real bargains and are nice to have. Got an ABU Ambassadeur 7500C for $15 dollars once. Some nice off the shelf and custom rods for $20 - 25 recently. I have been getting jig heads and soft plastics from China that are quite OK. I lose quite a few to snags and wear and tear so this saves as few dollars. 

• Like 1

Hi @Fab1,

Will you be looking for a new job and is your company providing the tools for your search? I've been through this process in the last several months and have some information which might help.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1

It all comes down to what you are used to living on. I sit around the 20k annual earnings, still have a mortgage, 4x4 and boat which I use when I feel like it. My wife works part time bringing in slightly more than me. 
We dropped to a far lower income when we left Sydney for a lifestyle where we could spend much more time with our kids as they grew up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Does talk of a pay cut mean you have something else lined up?

1. The interest rate is bad for people and hurting some companies.  If you are forced to sell, others are likely to be in the same position. More supply and less demand = price drop (housing prices are propped up by  shortage of supply and high immigration pusing demand). A quick decision either way might be best.
  2. An unused boat loses value. Not quite the same rate as boat in constant use, but down, just the same.  
  3. Shore-based fishing is fishing. If you haven't done a lot, it's a different challenge catching from the other direction.

I understand what it is like giving up having a boat available. Tinnies gone, I bought a Hobie. Having underused that and sold it, I bought a paddle yak. it's been idle for about 5 years, but it is there when I feel the urge! 

I have a few options available work wise including own business.As for the rest it doesn’t bother me at all if I never see water ever again.Whats getting annoying is watching my boat sit there rotting doing nothing as I don’t have time for it as much as I want to take it out.

9 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

As mentioned Fab, sometimes circumstances over ride things, you would certainly not be alone in that situation, priorities take precedence...

If you don't mind the travel Fab, ( south coast ) there's always a spare seat in my Tub if you ever need that fishing fix !!!   As I'm sure there would be opportunities for you closer to home.

Do what is needed at the minute Fab, it always seems to right itself sometime down the line Mate..

Thanks for the offer mate but if I had time to go to south coast I’d take my boat down to Windang or the shoalhaven.Time is my biggest issue.

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Tha's no good Fab. I know family is first, however, you need to go fishing at some time. Once a fisherman, it is hard to stop fishing.

It doesn’t bother me at all like I said above if I go or not.Its annoying having a boat sitting there doing nothing costing a few bob for nothing that’s all as I have no time these days hence I’ll probably sell it or hang on a bit longer and see if things improve.

1 hour ago, slowjigger said:

I have tried to economise a bit. Seldom buy new rods and reels now. Although I have so many hardly needed. I pick them up at the flea markets - some are real bargains and are nice to have. Got an ABU Ambassadeur 7500C for $15 dollars once. Some nice off the shelf and custom rods for $20 - 25 recently. I have been getting jig heads and soft plastics from China that are quite OK. I lose quite a few to snags and wear and tear so this saves as few dollars. 

That’s the way mate.

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Fab1,

Will you be looking for a new job and is your company providing the tools for your search? I've been through this process in the last several months and have some information which might help.

Regards,

Derek

They have been supporting us since they announced it in November 23.We will be gone mid next year.Some options in other departments or sites Australia wide for some of us.

15 minutes ago, JonD said:

It all comes down to what you are used to living on. I sit around the 20k annual earnings, still have a mortgage, 4x4 and boat which I use when I feel like it. My wife works part time bringing in slightly more than me. 
We dropped to a far lower income when we left Sydney for a lifestyle where we could spend much more time with our kids as they grew up. 

True.Unfortunately 20k wouldn’t be enough for our animals let alone us.I need all the coin I can muster.Every penny.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your news mate. As you say, family is the main consideration, so do what you must to ease the burden on the family. The choice regarding the boat is a simple one Fab. Sell it and get active looking for a replacement salary. What are your job prospects like?

I hope that you are able to transition into something that will keep you afloat for a while.

bn

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Sorry to hear your news mate. As you say, family is the main consideration, so do what you must to ease the burden on the family. The choice regarding the boat is a simple one Fab. Sell it and get active looking for a replacement salary. What are your job prospects like?

I hope that you are able to transition into something that will keep you afloat for a while.

bn

Yeah.I think more than likely I’ll sell it soon.As for job prospects I can go to mines,Start my own concrete pumping business, work with family or work in heavy industrial.I won’t have a issue job wise but I’ll lose at least 30k or so.But will be ok.

• Like 3

Hi Fab, I hear your situation.

I once lost a "good safe government job" then got dudded in private enterprise so started my own practice/business.

I have not been out of work since and thats over 15 years ago - started in the GFC 2009.

IMO being self employed is less risky than being in a "safe" job.

Challenge and Change is an old motto - but still relevant.

A leap of Faith is called for and you will be surprised at how you respond the the challenges.

Best wishes in your endeavours.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hoods said:

Hi Fab, I hear your situation.

I once lost a "good safe government job" then got dudded in private enterprise so started my own practice/business.

I have not been out of work since and thats over 15 years ago - started in the GFC 2009.

IMO being self employed is less risky than being in a "safe" job.

Challenge and Change is an old motto - but still relevant.

A leap of Faith is called for and you will be surprised at how you respond the the challenges.

Best wishes in your endeavours.

That’s it mate.Cheers.

I sold my vsea  a couple of years ago   now i regret it   i need a snapper fix     ive been mainly walkin rivers chasin trout n cod  and fish for luderick  every now n then   but im lookin at another boat now    i wish i kept my boat  and just put a cover over it    my life revolves around  riding  my harley  or victory  most wknds    but now the urge for saltwater is coming back      think about your choice          hopefully you will make decision and be happy with it         once gone  they are hard to replace

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 6:40 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

I sold my vsea  a couple of years ago   now i regret it   i need a snapper fix     ive been mainly walkin rivers chasin trout n cod  and fish for luderick  every now n then   but im lookin at another boat now    i wish i kept my boat  and just put a cover over it    my life revolves around  riding  my harley  or victory  most wknds    but now the urge for saltwater is coming back      think about your choice          hopefully you will make decision and be happy with it         once gone  they are hard to replace

I’ve already made up my mind once boats gone it’s gone.I won’t be buying another one ever again mate.I won’t miss it at all.

8 hours ago, Billmack said:

Always easier to sell something than to buy…as Rick suggests. 

Exactly.Selling you gain money, buying your bank account is lighter.Like I mentioned to Rick once mines gone I won’t need to worry about buying one ever again.I knew 13 yrs ago when I bought this one it would be my last.

On 9/9/2024 at 6:40 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

I’ve just listed my Stacer Outlaw, Rick. Waiting for the ad to be approved. I think you need to come up to Port Stephens for an on water test and a snapper fix! 😉😂

I’m not selling my boat for financial reasons. We’ve done okay with our real estate decisions… but after losing our son last year, we’re leaving our Port Stephens paradise and heading back to Sydney to a small unit with a single car space, less than 200m walk to the Metro station. The decision to sell is purely based on space and available time, as our plan is to travel quite a bit. Thailand for me. Somewhere cooler for my wife! 😂😂

@Fab1 Best of luck with whatever decision you make. It’s a tough one to make but I’m sure it will all work out.