Putney Park - First Flathead on SP

Hello, been stalking this forum and posting some questions on fishing soft plastics and it seems I finally have something I can post here. 

Despite some of the rain I decided to head to Putney Park since I wouldn't have any other opportunities for a while. I arrived at 2pm around an hour after high tide and began fishing starting from the right hand side of the park and working my way towards the right. Honestly I wasn't really expecting a fish and more trying to put into practice what some of the members of this forum have been telling me, like keeping the rod tip low and ensuring that the lure hits the bottom then double hopping it upwards.

Immediately on the first cast I saw some bait fish chasing my lure which I took as a good sign and continued to make my way to the left hand side of the park with not much action. Eventually I reached just left of where some maintenance was being done at around 3pm and was caught slacking, missing a bite. 

FirstFlatty.thumb.jpg.4fff7c9e29c87369b89c5edd130bc78b.jpg

I casted out again at the same spot and suddenly felt a weight on my rod. At first I thought it was a snag since I felt zero movement however, after a second had passed I started feeling shaking at the end of my line and from the water popped out a decently sized flathead!

Was honestly pretty surprised at the size as it didn't give much of a fight, my hand from the top of my middle finger to the bottom of my palm is around 19cm and from the photo the flathead seems to be around 2.25 times the size, so I'd estimate it to be around 42cm. From now on I should probably bring a measuring tape with me. After I caught this fish I casted around for maybe another 30m missing another hook up until I decided it was time to head home. 

Anyways I'm happy to finally have landed a good fish on soft plastics despite having a terrible hook up rate. Thanks to everyone who's been patiently answering my questions in these forums, the community here is really friendly and helpful which can be rare on the internet these days. 

• Like 17

Congratulations, it’s always a thrill to get a new species on a new technique.

I haven’t fished Putney, just over the bridge  McIlwaine Park at Brays Bay is another good spot on the runout tide.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Well done on your first on SPs. The next few will start to come more easily.

I've never caught a flatty at Putney, but I have caught a few at McIllwaine park as @Ryder suggests.

What was the plastic you are using?

I was using a Zman Grubz 2.5 watermelon red. Had it rigged on a 1/12th ounce jig head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elkw said:

Was honestly pretty surprised at the size as it didn't give much of a fight,

To me, Flathead feel like pulling in a sock until you get the head above water.  Head in the air, they shake like mad. Avoid lifting their head until ready to net your Flathead or slide it up.

That's a respectable first Flathead. Well done.   Now you have the first, more will come. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

To me, Flathead feel like pulling in a sock until you get the head above water.  Head in the air, they shake like mad. Avoid lifting their head until ready to net your Flathead or slide it up.

That's a respectable first Flathead. Well done.   Now you have the first, more will come. 

That's actually a pretty good way of describing it. And when they do that headshake thing quite often it abraides your leader especially if its quite light (<10lbs) so better to net them or lift them up really quick rather than let them eat the leader away

Nice fish for a first flatty on a plastic.

If you want a simple measuring device that is simple to use, lightweight and takes up very little space in the tackle box, get yourself a dressmakers tape. Rolled up, it’s only the size of a few 20c coins and can be cut down to a little over a metre to make it even more compact if you wish.

• Like 3

If you want a mat with good background for photos and clear numbers that show well in photos, DPI sell a good quality one at a competitive price.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/dpi/fishing/recreational-fishing/responsible-fishing/catch-and-release

The only problems I've experience is fish keeping still for their photo (I like them back in fast and not tired from the fight). On those occasions or when not near a PB, but you want a photo, your foot is probably an easier gauge than a hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

If you want a mat with good background for photos and clear numbers that show well in photos, DPI sell a good quality one at a competitive price.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/dpi/fishing/recreational-fishing/responsible-fishing/catch-and-release

The only problems I've experience is fish keeping still for their photo (I like them back in fast and not tired from the fight). On those occasions or when not near a PB, but you want a photo, your foot is probably an easier gauge than a hand.

Looks like they’re sold out on single mats but I’ll definitely keep an eye out thanks.

Congratulations on your first SP flattie - hope there are many more to come for you ! The last flattie I got was at putney- near the boat shed west of the boat ramp and it was on a pink curl tail . 
Another couple of options for a cheap measure- from the big blue tackle shop . 
IMG_1263.thumb.jpeg.90cd4b2972560932829984c6afd84163.jpegIMG_1264.thumb.jpeg.1270cdf08e35cd0265e3967c1b58bd07.jpeg

I prefer the daiwa tape measure type I got from an ISO fishing store but they ain’t cheap! 

Edited by XD351
  • Like 2