Thinking about buying a boat for fishing (am I mad?!)

dynabolt

Hi all

It's been a while since I've been online. Busy as usual. Hope that you are all well.

Am getting to the point where I am no longer as keen on kayaking as the thought of lifting the yaks onto the roof of the car becomes less appealing (I haven't taken out the hobie in over 4 years). Thought that maybe a boat on a trailer may be easier and more fun.   Am looking for views on if this is really the case or if I am misguided? Am worried that I'll go out and buy the thing and then not take it out or not be bothered looking after it or not look after it well.  Thoughts / opinions appreciated.

Cheers,

Angela

2 hours ago, dynabolt said:

Hi all

It's been a while since I've been online. Busy as usual. Hope that you are all well.

Am getting to the point where I am no longer as keen on kayaking as the thought of lifting the yaks onto the roof of the car becomes less appealing (I haven't taken out the hobie in over 4 years). Thought that maybe a boat on a trailer may be easier and more fun.   Am looking for views on if this is really the case or if I am misguided? Am worried that I'll go out and buy the thing and then not take it out or not be bothered looking after it or not look after it well.  Thoughts / opinions appreciated.

Cheers,

Angela

Much depends on how keen you are to go fishing Angela.

Here are some points to consider. A 4.2m boat with a 30HP (min) motor on a trailer is ideal for harbour, estuary, and lake fishing.

Are you able to park it safely at home?

Are you able to launch and retrieve it solo? Not difficult.

Are you able to afford to buy it and maintain it?

I am an old guy and I can tick all the above boxes.

Such a vessel would allow you to cruise around the bays of the Harbour and access areas that you couldn't from land.

I reckon you should go for it if you would use it even as little as once a month. Remember you will always be able to sell it if situations change for you.

bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of advantages in a boat over a kayak, first off, you can load everything in the boat at home. It doesn’t need to be lifted on/off and it doesn’t drip salt water on your car. Much more comfortable, properly sitting up, you can even lay down if need be. Easier to take a couple of extra people, much easier to store gear/food. Of course all that said, there are disadvantages too, much bigger to store at home, ramps often get crowded, just simple stuff like that all needs to be weighed up.

Boat = chores before and after and higher ongoing costs. You get more speed on the water, more comfort, and more can fit in the boat (if that matters to you).

Kayak = reduced chores and lower ongoing costs. That comes with a couple of trade-offs, but there is little to beat the thrill of a good fish on the line when you are so close to the water.

Land-based fishing = reduced choice of where you can fish. However, it is far easier to go fishing on a whim, set up and pack up. It is easier to move to a distant location when nothing is happening.  The easiest land-based fishing involves minimal gear, light backpack and rod.

• Like 1

There are trailers available for kayaks  as well - not cheap but definitely cheaper than a boat /motor/trailer and might solve you lifting onto the car roof problem .

As you can see, there is never a simple yes/no answer, it’s all about compromise, if we had unlimited funds, unlimited storage, plus a private dock, we would all have a kayak, a tinny, a 23’ centre console, a 40’ game boat and a 100’ cruiser, plus an employee to do all the work……it’s your choice of where you fit in that list.