Harbour Jew

gerg

Hi all, fished with a charter operator the other day in Sydney Harbour. Collected squid early and in hindsight had our good omen for the day - 2 casts and we landed 2 squid.

We spent an hour or so chasing some dory with no success and decided to head to "the" spot to try our luck at the jews with the change of the tide. Now I have never caught a jew before, so was quite excited, but also a little sceptical given all that I have read about these elusive fish. We set our baits and didn't have to wait long. I just sat down and finished my first sandwich and we were chatting away. Took 2 bites into the second sandwhich and HERE WE GO! The reel goes off and I can tell you I have never felt something pull as hard as this did. The reel was literally smoking. It took about 7 or 8 long runs but eventually we got it on board. Imagine my excitement at the first glimpses of this beautiful specimen when we spotted it coming out from the deep :yahoo: .

post-1674-1148950206_thumb.jpg

Note: Sorry, I'm not sure of the ettiquette with regards to this, but I have retouched the pic to keep the exact location a little under wraps at request of Craig. :1fishing1:

Once on board, a second line went off and landed a 60ish cm kingfish. Any other day of the week, that would have been a moment too, but it was an anti climax after the jewie. I'm not a big guy, and I was absolutely knackered. My arms felt like lead and I could barely stand up let alone hold the fish up for the photos.

It was 130cm long and maxxed out on the 30 pound scales. The guy estimates it went to about 50 pounds. This was my very first Jewie and I ask myself how I will ever top that again in my life. I had an absolutely sensational day :yahoo: . greg

Well done greg awsome fish!!!

Now you are buggered ...It will take a long time to get one of them again.

I think you have done the right thing as regards deleting the background. T^%&^$# has worked long and hard to get his spots.

Do you mind me asking what gear you were using ie rod, line, reel, trace, hook size etc?

Cheers

inhlanzi

Well done greg awsome fish!!!

Now you are buggered ...It will take a long time to get one of them again.

I think you have done the right thing as regards deleting the background. %^$^# has worked long and hard to get his spots.

Do you mind me asking what gear you were using ie rod, line, reel, trace, hook size etc?

Cheers

inhlanzi

what rig were you using?

Well done on a great fish, %^$^# does know his shit even though him and i disagree on a few things, and you done the right thing in covering his spot, as stated he has worked hard to find his spots and im a believer in if you wanna know his spots you should pay him and go out on a charter.

I did the same thing when i didnt know shit about Pittwater, went out with Pete and learnt alot, now am good mates with him.

Well done again, make sure you put it in the records section and fish of the month

Hi all, fished with %^$^ the other day in Sydney Harbour. Collected squid early and in hindsight had our good omen for the day - 2 casts and we landed 2 squid.

We spent an hour or so chasing some dory with no success and decided to head to "the" spot to try our luck at the jews with the change of the tide. Now I have never caught a jew before, so was quite excited, but also a little sceptical given all that I have read about these elusive fish. We set our baits and didn't have to wait long. I just sat down and finished my first sandwich and we were chatting away. Took 2 bites into the second sandwhich and HERE WE GO! The reel goes off and I can tell you I have never felt something pull as hard as this did. The reel was literally smoking. It took about 7 or 8 long runs but eventually we got it on board. Imagine my excitement at the first glimpses of this beautiful specimen when we spotted it coming out from the deep :yahoo: .

post-1674-1148950206_thumb.jpg

Note: Sorry, I'm not sure of the ettiquette with regards to this, but I have retouched the pic to keep the exact location a little under wraps at request of %^$^#. :1fishing1:

Once on board, a second line went off and landed a 60ish cm kingfish. Any other day of the week, that would have been a moment too, but it was an anti climax after the jewie. I'm not a big guy, and I was absolutely knackered. My arms felt like lead and I could barely stand up let alone hold the fish up for the photos.

It was 130cm long and maxxed out on the 30 pound scales. $%#%^@ estimates it went to about 50 pounds. This was my very first Jewie and I ask myself how I will ever top that again in my life. I had an absolutely sensational day :yahoo: . Cudos to Craig, a really nice guy and very professional :thumbup: !

greg

Congrats gerg great fish good read BUT NOW YOU ARE HOOKED

Now thats a great picture and shows the beautifull landscape which Sydney is famous for :thumbup:

Still a great Jew Greg and I hope you have a word in your charter guys ear and thank him for asking such a silly suggestion in light of what this picture shows :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Hey Stewy, look at me, I've created such a controversy :blush: . Actually it was completely unintended and the request from Craig was more a general request and not necessarily in relation to the pic. I retouched the image because I thought it was reasonably obvious where the location is. But I guess not, and Craig is obviously not all that worried about it either. I guess if you can work it out, then :1fishing1: .

All in all I was completely over the moon. It was definately the biggest fish I have caught and a sensational experience. I'm still re-living the moment

greg

Guest fishrunner

That's a beauty out of the harbour,, well for anywhere for that matter :thumbup: ,

Well done on your 1st big jew :yahoo: , gives you something to aim for in the future.

congrats

well done Gerg, AWSOME jewie :thumbup: exactly the quality of fish ive chased unsuccessfully for soooo long :05: thats what i call money well spent!

btw, did you decide to keep the fish with this Dioxin crap an issue?

i definately think that craig knows his shit.

i went with him n 3 of my mates on search for kingies but no luck ,

the fish were fish were off the bite.

we caught 7 squids in the morning on hopes to catch a big thumper king.

craig was helpful in tips

he told me that 1 in every 20 tours he ends up with nothing n we happened to be on one of those days,

but he had said that if the fish arent on the bite , u cant do nothing i said i should have been in the botany bay, but he replied that if they are not on the bite,they wont be on the bite everywhere unless you go about a 100klms out

Edited by Crazy John

That's a superb harbour fish mate, congratulations. The best part of this story is that you are so thrilled with the catch and genuinely appreciate and respect Craig's knowlege and request :thumbup: .

You will soon become a fully converted, obsessed jew nut :thumbup: so get yourself ready for sleep deprivation, owl-like eyes and a body full of dioxins :074: :074: .

Congratulations once again

Red

Guest maraudingmado

Top fish Gerg :thumbup::thumbup: . I saw the unedited version on Fishnet earlier. Maybe one day I can catch his/her younger sibling as I am blowed if I can catch ANY size jewie at the moment. Perseverance will be the catch cry!!!