Broken Bay Wide Tuesday

keenandnew

Set off Tuesday to hunt the YFT on the shelf but was wary of what was looking to become

an uncertain sea and swell. As we trolled from Pittwater the lures were quickly taken by some tailor

close to the marina berths. As we headed around Barrenjoey Hd both lures went off with two good size

Salmon soon landed. The swell and sea state were rising and freshening so we decided to continue to troll

the area and leave the yft to another day. The sea was boiling with salmon.We quickly landed another two

and then they disappeared. The departure of squawking birds indicated they were no longer around and we headed back to Flint and Steel wide to see again the flocks of birds. We quickly landed another three

smaller salmon.Having never caught a salmon,I was impressed with the great fight they put up, even

jumping out of the water when close to the boat. We kept 3 and released the others.Not a great eating fish but the dog will love her fish meal tonight. :beersmile:

post-1844-1156922586_thumb.jpg

Edited by keenandnew

Hey KeenAndrew - sounds like a great day on the water.

You wouldn't be willing to tell us what lures you were using would you?

And even though you didn't get out to Broken Bay Wide (by the sounds of things) - do you know how long it takes to get out there?

Hey KeenAndrew - sounds like a great day on the water.

You wouldn't be willing to tell us what lures you were using would you?

And even though you didn't get out to Broken Bay Wide (by the sounds of things) - do you know how long it takes to get out there?

Hi Mondo

Ill need to take your question about the lure on advisement as a mate gave it to me as a

present when he went o/s but its been the best of all those Ive tried.The best I can do till then is

post a snap of the lure for you. We trolled out from Barren Joey L/H to close to Broken Bay Wide at

8-10knots(hoping to attract a marlin) it took about an hour.Do you know what the best trolling speed for Marlin is I heard you need at least 10kts and 12 is even better.

cheers

It's a shame the swell was up and you couldn't get into

some fin but you still managed some nice fish there.

Congrats on catching your first salmon.They are so

much fun on light gear as you must have found out.

Trolling speed for marlin depends on the lures you are

using and the sea conditions and also the wind.Anything

from 4 to 10 knots works.On rougher days you go slower

(4-7knots)to stop the lures blowing out but on calmer days you have

to go faster(7-10knots) to actually make the lures work properly.

Also if using smaller skirts you have to go slower then when using larger

skirts as they don't "grab" the water as well as the bigger ones.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info KA - and again, sounds like a good day.

It's such a shame that Salmon aren't a great eating fish - in every other respect they are a superb target. Congrats on popping your cherry!!!

Looking forward to future reports - I'm sure you'll get into the fin before you know it.

Mondo

Well done Mate

Its a pitty the dog got them

fellow member TUFFY has posted a good recipie for salmon on this site

but not sure where it is.

From memory Olive oil, Salt, Lemon juce and cajun spices overnight then onto the BBQ

I tryed it and it turned an ordinary fish into a great Meal

SPARKY