Hawkesbury 29/30

inhlanzi

G'day Raiders

I find myself a very lucky bloke at the moment.

As some of you know I have been after the big Jewie for a long a while now and in recent weeks I have managed to get 2 over 5 kilo.

Here is this weekends story.

My mate reel-em-in has recently sold his boat, yea "Reel-em-in", and now he is like a cat on a hot tin roof - wanting to go out and fish as much as he can. Those of you who have sold a boat will know what I mean. He calls me during the week and says the tides are looking great for Friday night an Saturday morning and of course I need little or no persuasion to get out - so plans are quickly made for the weekend.

We set out from Appletree on Friday afternoon late and go to try and find some livies. Put the bait jigs down and not much was happening. Luckily we saw the odd Tern working so up the anchor and off to investigate. Yup a school of Tailor smashing into small fry. Out with the silver slices and soon we had enough for the evening tide. Great start.

All rods were set out and we waited, and waited waited. Now I love this part of Jew fishing as you get time to just sit and absorb the great beauty and the sounds of the estuary as the sun sets and the moon and the stars come out. The whole landscape changes and you become aware of the night sounds.

At this point I must explain to you that Reel-em-in has caught a fair few Jewies in his day his biggest going to 28 kilo. He was, in his younger days, a commercial fisho and got stuck into over a 100 ( yes hundred ) 10 kilo plus jewies in one night and then repeated the feat the next night. So my point is here is a bloke who has caught a few.

Now to sit there on the water have a few beers and jabber about Jewie stories and techniques is a great way to spend a Friday night. I must mention that one of his Jewie TOP secrets is that you must suck on a few Tooheys News and be listening to Gosford Country Hits while you fish...hmmmm??

We fished late into the night and an only one small run to talk of and then a bit of a southerly came up to add to the chill factor. After the turn of the tide we moved of to the safety of refuge bay and moored up amongst the yachties. One of the yachtie ladies was head to say "What on earth is that noise? It's coming from that small boat over there..." So for those of you who know Reel-em-in will know he can fish but I reckon he can snore better!!!! Now my boat is a centre console so there is little or no protection from the cold night breezes. I have to say I was very cold and eventually wrapped my self up in the "V" sheet and used it as a windbreak. A few slugs of sherry and I was gone.

Before the birds have a chance to say anything we leave the mooring at 04h30 and straight back to the run out spot. Used dead bait till we caught a few live yakka. We had two big and two small rods out.

It was about now that I would kill for a hot cup of coffee and I get a call from a mate who is on the water asking where we are. "Mate" I said "you wouldn't have a flask of coffe with ya, would ya?". "Sure I do" he says. Thanks Herman that was a real treat after the long cold night.

As the sun started to make us warmer Reel-em-in and I were just talking about how many Bream we would have caught by now and how the fishing seems to have got a lot harder. His small rod goes off and he lands a thumper Bream of about 40cm! So we deduced that there are less but they are bigger!

post-1963-1159672229_thumb.jpg

I then said something about wishing I could catch a nice Jewie and he said "Mate if there is a Jewie around here he will nail that livie you have got out there."

As if by magic, at the bottom of the tide, my big rod ( 6500b on a 7' ugly stick ), on baitrunner mode, starts to RUN... The run is long and steady and the temptation to grab the rod is huge..."Leave it, leave it!" he says as the line peels off.

That is such a good sound.

Reel-em-in quickly clears the rods on the starboard side and then he says "Ok give it stick". Out the rod holder and bang, ON!

That first strong run is just a great feeling thumping and bumping and the reel going off - it is what it's all about.

Time just vanished and after a while the great silver bronze shape emerges from the depths. Wow. This is the part where your heart starts to go into overdrive. The big fish decides he's not finished yet and takes off under the boat, zzz, zzz, zzz, and your heart is really racing. I could feel at this point he is run over some reef and I am just praying I can get him off. Good steady pressure and the line comes off the obstacle. I know I have a good chance to land him now. More struggle to get him back to the surface. The wide orange mouth and the big Jewel spots glinting in the sun, what a sight. Nice and easy, steady steady and whack in goes the gaff and up and over the rails and into the boat. Yes! High fives and big big smiles. We done it! we done it!

post-1963-1159671874_thumb.jpg

Now Reel-em-in has to go back as he is off on a long weekend with his family so pull up and back to Appletreeby 10h00.

I thought I was happy last week but this week I am even happier and I can't wait to be able to get out again to chase those big bronze and silver fish...

Sitting here writing this post I realise how lucky I am. I have a special wife who has lets me pursue my passion. I am also lucky enough to have two great teachers in Wayno and Reel-em-in who have given me lots of their time and encouragement and been willing to impart their skills and wealth of knowledge to me. Thanks boys I really appreciate it.

The fact that you can share these special moments with mates is I think what fishing and, to a large degree, what life is all about. Have a passion...pursue it, enjoy it and be happy!

cheers

inhlanzi

Brilliant report and one fantastic jewie inhlanzi.

Well done persuing those monsters and success at last!

You must be over the moon.

I'm yet to catch even his great great grandson.

One of these days I suppose.

Congrats again on a great report.

Pete.

Well done mate. Good to see you manage such a quality fish there. Im off to the hawksbury in a month or so with Johan (reel-em-in) and Jewie fishing is whats planned for that weekend. With some luck we might just manage one.

Great fish mate. Glad to see the effort rewarded for you.

cheers Jas!

Thanks for the good words Raiders

pk-fishn - not totally sure but he measured a meter and I would say 8 to 9 kilos

MallacootaPete - Just hang in there mate and they will come. Wayno kept telling me that and it has proved to be very true.

Jason Scerri - I will do my best to catch up with you blokes on that weekend. If Johan is with you he will show you the ropes I am sure. Just be warned the bugger snores!!

James - Yea I was freaking with it on baitrunner mode. Most of the Jewie fishos I know don't fish like that at all and have a good strong drag. That is what makes fishing so damn interesting is that everyone has a different way of doing things. I tell ya when it clicked over from baitrunner mode that first thump is amazing. I trust you are having a much better week that last week!

cheers

inhlanzi

this weekend hasnt been to bad just want to get on the river but couldnt find any partners.

in regards to leaivng the baitrunner on, i use to fish with slack in my line or batrunner on but found my capture rates were not as high.

i now fish with tight drags and have found the capture rates alot higher.

looking forward to next weekend. wnat to get myself a nice one

Congratulations Inhlanzi !!! Fantastic report, entertaining, humorous,love the detail and thoughts going through your mind.

I dream of being in a position such as yours (catching a decent sized jewie ie).

It must be a fantastic feeling to nail such a good fish, and hope your adventures get better !!!

Happy hunting !!

Mate,

Spreading those rumours about my snoring again.... :biggrin2:

Jason, I will be too happy to sleep on the deck. :ranting2:

It was a pleasure to be with Inhlanzi when he caught that fish. There are various ways to catch these fantastic fish. You stick with what works for you. If You find your hook up rate is better with the drag on then keep it on. I have found it works the other way for me.

94.1 FM on the river is my secret, Nothing beats a bit of country, a cold one (tooheys), one of Waynes hamburgers and a chance to tangle with a good fish :yahoo:

Cheers

Jo

inhlanzi great fish you got there

looks like you have been dealt a lifetime of knowledge there that you will have forever

i would have to agree with james i think when fishing for BIG jews baitrunner is a no no but if it works for you dont change it

once again great catch mate

pabs

hey locodave

i think when jew fishos say they caught a jew om a livie i dont think they wil tell ya the exact live bait used.

you have to realise when jew fishing it is one bait one day and another bait the next day.

live baits and dead baits are:mullet,squid,tailor,yakkas.slimies,salmon,pike so any of these baits will catch you jews so good luck

pabs

I don't see why fishing is such a big secret, it should be shared for everyone to go out there and have fun!! :)

locodave do you have any secret spots or info you wanna share with us

what ever info most fishos know it has taken years to learn.

you will learn plenty in here but it all comes down to trial and era mate,so if you wanna learn put in the hard yards on the water and share with us you efforts and soon we will share more info for you

pabs

I don't see why fishing is such a big secret, it should be shared for everyone to go out there and have fun!! :)

Mate i agree with pablo, although many of us do keep certain spots secret we do reveal enough for you to get out there and have a shot.

once you have been a member of a forum for a while and contributed and assisted other members those members will help you out.

I know this from personal experience, i know that if i wanted to chase jews this weekend which i do rarely i could msg the fisho that taught Ilhanzi and he will send me in the direction of a few good spots. I also will get a few spots from one of sydneys better known jew fishos who has been on magazine covers because i helped him out a few times.

Its all about give and take mate.

This website will allow you to meet and become friends with some very knowledgable fishos who will in time fill you in on a few secrets.

And in regards to not revealing a spot, i have on occasion reveal good squid spots only to go there the next week and not be able to get a good place to fish because so many other boats are there.

Ilhanzi....Great jew buddy.....well done