Port Hacking

Guest IFishSick.

Guest IFishSick.

Hey Raiders,

Got up this morning bright and early and started my fishing at Lilli Pilli Baths at 3:00am. Threw out a whole trevally in hope of a Jewie or a possible King, and decided to have a squid while I waited for the sun to rise.

Up until about 5:30 the squidding continued, 7 squid to account for (one became bait later), two big ones. One being a Southern Calamari Squid which was nice for a change, they look great when they come in. Like a light and dark brown Zebra. While Squidding the Frigates were around just not hunting.

As light started to appear I got out the whitebait metal and had a spin. Some excitement around 6:30 when the Frigates started chasing some small fish in front of me. I got two follow ups on the lure but no bloody bites :ranting2:

By this time Rhys was here to pick Matt and I up for a change of scenery. Headed over to a spot near an abandoned house and an old warf near the entrance to south west arm. Burleyed up to see if we could raise some live bait, but all we could muster were leather jacket <_< s. Matt caught a few of those and some snapper with a live bait rig, just small enough not to bother with.

Decided to head over to mainbar and see if we could grab some nippers, too deep in water so tried a special spot. Produced very well and we were happy. We decided to tie the boat up to mainbar and have a cast over the deeper channels with some nippers in the hope of some whiting.

All three of us managed some fish, but Rhys and I came up trumps with the biggest edible fish. Mine was the best though :biggrin2: Measuring a solid 33cm he was a pretty fat little fish and gave very healthy fillets.

post-2529-1172896931_thumb.jpg

Looks like I've mastered the art of Squidding, but what about Frigating...............

Edited by IFishSick.

Nice work with the squid, you should have livebaited one of them for a Jew/King. Did you pick them up close in on the baths?

As for the Frigates, I have had a no luck with them in the Hacking on lures, same lures that catch them in Botany. From what I've read/heard you need to get the pilchards in the Hacking before you clean up on the pelagics, but that's something I have yet to master. Although that wont stop me from trying :1fishing1:

Nice report, mate. I was thinking of doing exacty the same thing this morning, but REALLY needed my sleep. I might head down to the baths or other LB possies tonight for some squid (and hopefully frigates on sunset). Looks like a nice catch of squid - prime jewie bait! :thumbup: Well done.

Flattieman.

As light started to appear I got out the whitebait metal and had a spin. Some excitement around 6:30 when the Frigates started chasing some small fish in front of me. I got two follow ups on the lure but no bloody bites :ranting2:

By this time Rhys was here to pick Matt and I up for a change of scenery. Headed over to a spot near an abandoned house and an old warf near the entrance to south west arm. Burleyed up to see if we could raise some live bait, but all we could muster were leather jacket <_< s. Matt caught a few of those and some snapper with a live bait rig, just small enough not to bother with.

IFS,

Frustrating when fish follow your lure but don't take it!

That spot you mentioned near the entrance to south west arm would be Warumbul. That wharf was where I picked up a frigate a couple of weekends back. No such luck with them last weekend though I saw one follow my pink squid jig. No luck on the frigates but had fun catching squid. Seems to be plenty of them around at the moment.

Guest IFishSick.

Wow, I've never heard of anything like that before, YFT!

Hey huntman, not to worry didn't get much. Will be down there this Saturday doing same thing but rigging a live squid for Jews.

I rigged a live squid, but it was a bit late in the day I think... it just got torn to pieces by little stuff. I'll probably see you there again some time... didn't seem too promising a spot, but I'm willing to give it some patience because it's close for me :)

Guest IFishSick.

Get down there early, no little fish come out to play.

Was there at 3am and got all the squid in that time before sunrise. No boats to get in the way of my flaot either.

Wd mate, good effort- we fished lilli pilli baths for squid on Saturday evening right on dusk. Didnt get a hit, didnt even see any follow the jigs.

We jigged to the right side of the baths where the moored boats are, this seemed to be the most likely spot.

:05:

10kg YFT at Lilli Pilli Baths....haahahhahahahahahah i would like to see that, pics please crazy john if it was true it would have my vote for fish of the month.

Edited by Assassin

crazyjohn is not lying it is true a few ppl of the past few years have cauight a few yft but tiny ones and also heard of a guy that hooked a cobia there also so must be true would love to see the pics

crazyjohn is not lying it is true a few ppl of the past few years have cauight a few yft but tiny ones and also heard of a guy that hooked a cobia there also so must be true would love to see the pics

Kings and Cobia i reakon would pass there regulary, the boat moorings there apparently have resident kings,

Its a deep little channel sharks are well known to patrol the channel aswell.

Kings - yes..have seen plenty of them. Cobia - sometimes, yellowfin tuna...not for many many many years and that was boat based in SW arm. And I mean a long long time ago. As for landing a 10kg of the baths, well that first run must have been a dud . Go left, reefed on the oysters...go right, reefed on moored boats and the baths. Straight out - well, stuck on the float off the sand point or cut off by a boat. Dont like sounding cycnical and would love see a YFT taken from there, but hard to believe. I have landed some large frigates out of there, and I mean a few kilos each. And rumours of Mac tuan in there, so maybe it was a Mac tuna...love to see a pic though .

i live on the hacking and fish it nearly everyday but i find it hard to believe a 10kg yellowfin has been caught at the baths this summer. i hope it is true but would like to see a pic! i think the last time they were caught was about '92 at lilli pilli.........

i know this is from another post but i would also like to see photos of the spotted mackeral apparently caught in a report last week!

regarding the cobia a mate of mine caught a small one a few years ago there so they do occasionaly come in.

this year we have been catching heaps of frigates, bonito, BIG tailor and rat kings and have also landed two small samsons. there is lots of bait in the river at the moment so i suppose anything is possible but i need a pic to believe!

cheers :beersmile:

forgot to add squidgie last year we also caught a fair few mack tuna (although small) as well as watsons leaping bonito!

Edited by rocky

hey crazyjohn get your friend to post a pic of this yellowfin at lilli pilli.

very sceptical but hope you can prove me wrong..........

hey guys we were out at jibbon bombora on sunday trolling.

we caught a 6kg YFT on a pink christmas tree lure with a squid strip.

i was hesitant to report it because i didnt have a picture of it but it could be true about the YFT in Lilli pilli.

Edited by frankp

hey guys we were out at jibbon bombora on sunday trolling.

we caught a 6kg YFT on a pink christmas tree lure with a squid strip.

i was hesitant to report it because i didnt have a picture of it but it could be true about the YFT in Lilli pilli.

well done, that really does suprise me...its good to see them enter the enclosed water ways

Hey peeps,

In light of what was said regarding the YFT, this may be a tangent but might back up to some degree the argument. I used to be a regular down at Gunnamutta Bay going back to the early 90's, id see plenty of Bonito taken on the wharf. On quite a few occasions, we'd see large YFT's in schools of around 3 or 4 under the wharf. The only reason i'm sure they were yft's was that im very familiar with how bonnies and other pelagics look like. The specimens we'd see were near the metre mark and very fat, and they had fins portruding away from their bodies near the head - typical of the fin on the yft. I never saw a hookup there though.

Again, this is going back in the order of 15 years ago. My visits to the wharf there are minimal these days, but i can say for sure i haven't seen them there since.