Spinning Reel Advice

inhlanzi

G'day Raiders

I know there are some gun spin fishos on this site and I hope I could pick your brains on a good quality spinning reel.

My smaller spin reels are not standing up to constant fishing and I want something tough that will last.

I reckon by talking to fishos who actually use (not fishing shop salesmen) the stuff what works and what doesnt ...so don't hold back.

Stella 4000 is what I really want but the price is over budget.

I have a few spin rods in ths category but will get a rod to fit the reel if necessary.

It must be smooth.

It must last a few seasons.

It must be good quality.

Budget around $450

4 to 8 kg range.

I want to use it for Smaller Kings / Tailor / Frigate Mackerel / Salmon / Bonito / Stripey Tuna / Squidding / Livie jigging / Flathead and Bream.

I fish at least twice a week - sometimes more

My rods and reels get a good washdown after every session and then a bit of inox for good measure.

cheers

inhlanzi

Not quite as good as the stella , but awsome for a budget, the symetre 4000fi is an awsome reel , i have one and love it!, caught everything from yakas to kingys on it.

I have heard good things about the Twin powers though, at $319 , fits well into the budget :thumbup:

I recently purchaced a Daiwa TD Tierra 4000, i was so impressed i brought 3 more and at around $230 you cant go wrong

post-3790-1174113660_thumb.jpg

Hardbody 'Z' for more power and less wear. Braid friendly air bail tubular stainless steel bail for greater strength. Positive line pick-ups with fewer snags.

Didgi-gear !! drive system ensures perfect meshing of gears. Machined aluminium handle, Infinite anti-reverse, washable construction ABS spool line wrap. Spare spool included. 5 year warranty.

Line Capacity: 250m of 6kg

Gear ratio: 4.9 to 1.

Ball Bearings 7 inc 2 CRBB + 1 roller.

Weight: 370 grams

Oh boy here we go ... 4 repiles and four different opinions!!!

Thanks for the advce guys

I have heard said Diawas tend to be more smooth than the equivalent Shimanos. True or false

Cheers

inhlanzi

Edited by inhlanzi

Oh boy here we go ... 4 repiles and four different opinions!!!

Thanks for the advce guys

I have heard said Diawas tend to be more smooth than the equivalent Shimanos. True or false

Cheers

inhlanzi

The Daiwa's lay line alot better than the shimanos do and if you are useing braid this means that you wont be loosing braid to loops etc on the spools (in the long run saving you alot of money rather than buying braid all the time).

I would try and strech the budget abit further and get a Certate 4000. They are an extremly smooth reel, will last you alot more than a few season and is exceptional quality. I would avoid the Symetres if i was you. I have one in the 2500 and it has not stoo up to the consistant use (on average i fish 2-3 times a week) and have had problem after problem. I am now looking at a Certate in both 2500 and 4000 for myslef.

In spinning reels (say up to 4000) i will not get anything other than a Daiwa because of there quality.

Cheers,

Fletcher

what type of work do you do mate to be able to buy 3 more of the same fishing reel at that price :1yikes:

Guess I'm just jealous ;)

Ben

you should see the rods i matched them with; - G Loomis PBR843S, with 20lb tuf line.

I like playing with my tackle :074:

Edited by The Flintstones

you should see the rods i matched them with; - G Loomis PBR843S, with 20lb tuf line.

I like playing with my tackle :074:

So are those your snapper rods, Mark?

By the way, inhlanzi - good to hear from you again, mate! :thumbsup: I don't often use reels in the 4000 size, so I can't be of much help. Practically anything in the mid- to high-range Shimano or Daiwa range should be pretty good, I'd assume. I'm using a Shimano Baitrunner 4500B for jewies at the moment - has been great so far.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Hi Guys,

Personally I like the Daiwa reels, they are insanely smooth and were the first to use the big drag washers on the small reels. You can also load the braid up to the edge of the spool with no problems if you wish. I have a TD-S CU 2500 and Kix 4000, nicest reels I have ever used.

Tried a few Shimano's in the shop but went for the Daiwa. Have a few lower end Shimano's and they work fine within their limitations, but to be fair I don't have any higher end ones. I also have some old Penn Spinfishers as well priced workhorses they are unbeatable, they will also probably outlive my fancier gear..

Southerly

G'day Raiders

I know there are some gun spin fishos on this site and I hope I could pick your brains on a good quality spinning reel.

My smaller spin reels are not standing up to constant fishing and I want something tough that will last.

I reckon by talking to fishos who actually use (not fishing shop salesmen) the stuff what works and what doesnt ...so don't hold back.

Stella 4000 is what I really want but the price is over budget.

I have a few spin rods in ths category but will get a rod to fit the reel if necessary.

It must be smooth.

It must last a few seasons.

It must be good quality.

Budget around $450

4 to 8 kg range.

I want to use it for Smaller Kings / Tailor / Frigate Mackerel / Salmon / Bonito / Stripey Tuna / Squidding / Livie jigging / Flathead and Bream.

I fish at least twice a week - sometimes more

My rods and reels get a good washdown after every session and then a bit of inox for good measure.

cheers

inhlanzi

You cannot go past a Shimano Baitrunner (4500, would probably be the best size for you needs). Dont be put off by the baitrunner feature as it is only an extra and does not get in your way. They are great reels especially with the waterproof drag system.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies and views raiders

Lots of food for thought...

Yea all good this side Flattieman (still after that biggun) caught everything but the kitchen sink :074:

Seriously saw some blokes pull up an armchair on heir anchor the other day!!!!

I have 4500s and yep they are great for bait fishing but have used some of my mates gear and for spinning I think they are a lot smoother and retrieve faster.

I want something reliable I an fire off at the pelagics and rip the lure / spoon / popper at a rate of knotts.

cheers

inhlanzi

I own most of the reels mentioned in this thread and I would think the daiwa certate would be THE BEST choice. My Daiwa certate 4000 has been nothing but sensational. It catches everything from squid , flathead to kings, bonito...everything.

The shimano twin power is ok but in heavier applications the bail arm and the spool spindle starts to bend towards eachother at a rate of knots.....deep poo when this hapens.

Also have a couple of daiwa caldia and caldia kix. They are very good reels but the certate is heavier duty.

I would stay away from the lower end shimanos like the stradic. Seen too many throw in the towel. They are Ok for light occasional use but not if you fish regularly.

The stella is a good reel as is the saltiga. Both in my service have been very good but the stella is now making some funny noises.

But go with the daiwa certate. I think the whole country is in love with this reel .Everything from barramundi to marlin are being caught on this gear .CHeers Kelvin

for around $500 you can get a certate. Can't go wrong with this reel, as a few other raiders have suggested. Light enough for bream spinning, yet strong enough to land rat kings when you hook one. Bloody nice reel !! the smaller models gives you 4kg of drag, larger ones will give you 7kg. that's more than enough drag for most fish you catch in Sydney. Nice drag sound too !! one of the loudest around.

The Daiwa airity is also good, for around $400, this reel use to sell for 700 bucks ! its a touch lighter than the certate.

Below that comes the luvias, which is still reasonably good.

Used shimano stradics before changing over to daiwas and never looked back

Edited by bmar560

My Daiwa certate 4000 has been nothing but sensational. It catches everything from squid , flathead to kings, bonito...everything.

Kelvin, how do you rate the 3500HD compared to the 4000. I'm in two minds between the two. The 3500HD has the same pulling power as the 4000 however is smaller and lighter.

Cheers

Kurt

Yea all good this side Flattieman (still after that biggun) caught everything but the kitchen sink :074:

Seriously saw some blokes pull up an armchair on heir anchor the other day!!!!

I have 4500s and yep they are great for bait fishing but have used some of my mates gear and for spinning I think they are a lot smoother and retrieve faster.

I want something reliable I an fire off at the pelagics and rip the lure / spoon / popper at a rate of knotts.

cheers

inhlanzi

Ah - fair enough. The Baitrunner isn't my first choice for lure-chucking either. If you're looking at something with a fast retrieve speed, be sure to look at the gear ratios of the different reels. Good luck with landing the monster, mate! It's only a matter of time!

Flattieman.

Gees guys thanks for all the responses I really appreciate them

The diawas seem to be the go and the certate 4000 looks like the one.

Any suggestions on good dealers / stores? I know we can't post non-sponsors so if you can pm me that would be great

cheers and thanks

inhlanzi