Pb Blackie From My Yak!

arpie

Hi guys

Beautiful day out there today, so thought I'd give my Minnow "Squidgies" an outing (I would be going in & out of the racks, so didn't take the Hobie!)

Found some cabbage growing in one of the racks & grabbed some. Sidled up to one of the external walls that fronts the main channel & popped the float into the water. Took a while to get the depth right, but had seen some monsters 'scatter' as I approached, so was suprised when I got a good 'down' when it was only set at fairly shallow!

I could tell immediately that it was a good fish - that tail beat was unmistakable! I really had to fight hard to keep it from going under the fence & busting me off, but somehow managed it & got it into the net (a feat in itself, as the fish kept going under the yak!!)

The beastie!

post-2231-1187165935_thumb.jpg

pb yak black! 40cm!

I was ecstatic! So pleased to have landed him. I have seen the monsters lurking there, but never tempted them to bite! Got another one later, but only 30cm plus a throwback!

One happy chappy

Cheerio

Roberta

post-2231-1187166127_thumb.jpg

The racks in the main channel

Edited by Roberta

Thanks guys

It was electric!!! The breakwall has nothing on this!!! My little 5ft rod was bent double & I was leaning out of the yak to guide him away from the timber!! I am considering getting a JW Black Queen for the extra length for the yak - makes it easier to set the hook & also more length to keep the them away from the structure!!

Yee Haa!

Roberta

This was one of the spots mentioned on my Social "spots to try"! I had seen monsters there before & knew it was a matter of time before I cracked one! And guess what - there are more there that are about half as big again!! I was amazed at the size of some of them!

Edited by Roberta

:1yikes: nice luderick there roberta, that would of been a great effort from your yak.i know how hard these bigguns go so a big :thumbup:... what cond was it in,was it in roe/milk. the ones ive been getting have been very thick and fit... and i think they have finished there business so will wane off soon... are others getting into any sort of numbers up there..... i spoke to cam today looks like we might hook up on w/e so will be good if they are still on the chew.. :biggrin2:

cheers for now .... steve....

Edited by roosterman

Hi guys

Beautiful day out there today, so thought I'd give my Minnow "Squidgies" an outing (I would be going in & out of the racks, so didn't take the Hobie!)

Found some cabbage growing in one of the racks & grabbed some. Sidled up to one of the external walls that fronts the main channel & popped the float into the water. Took a while to get the depth right, but had seen some monsters 'scatter' as I approached, so was suprised when I got a good 'down' when it was only set at fairly shallow!

I could tell immediately that it was a good fish - that tail beat was unmistakable! I really had to fight hard to keep it from going under the fence & busting me off, but somehow managed it & got it into the net (a feat in itself, as the fish kept going under the yak!!)

The beastie!

post-2231-1187165935_thumb.jpg

pb yak black! 40cm!

I was ecstatic! So pleased to have landed him. I have seen the monsters lurking there, but never tempted them to bite! Got another one later, but only 30cm plus a throwback!

One happy chappy

Cheerio

Roberta

post-2231-1187166127_thumb.jpg

The racks in the main channel

Gee Roberta that's a nice fish. The boat position looks very professional and I reckon it's really "recreational" tournament fishing. :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi guys

Thanks for the congrats - she was a goer & was full of ripe roe ( :( thank god there are lots of them!!) and really tried her hardest to get off. I had the drag set fairly hard & had a suicide hook on, so she didn't take any line or straighten the hook (as has been happening!) and it was my reel that I have repaired the bail arm spring 5 TIMES now!!! (Finally araldited the top bit to the shaft and so far, so good ....... I now close the bail arm manually every time, instead of using the handle!)

To the right of the yak/fence, there is another closed off area about 10ft across to another fence, parallel with this one! The fish use it as a highway & the size of them has to be seen to be believed! I even tried putting the float inside & just 'handled' the yak along the outside wall, keeping time with the float. There was one down, but I wasn't fast enough to set it! As I moved the yak, the intention was for the 'fringe dwellers' to scatter into the gully & take my bait! Didn't happen, but i will try it again next time! On extreme high tides, I'll be able to get into the gutter (just have to keep my eye on the level so I don't get stuck in there!!)

Methinks the yak will be getting a bit of a workout from here on in .... shame it is raining todaY! Will take the Hobie next time - I can pedal away from the structure to take the bigger fish to safety!

Steve - great to hear you're in touch with Cam - hope you have a successful foray there in Pittwater! I know he has caught the bug bad & doesn't like his little sister outfishing him! :1prop::1prop: (only kidding!) The lake is just sooo handy for him to get to & know there are fish there.

Re the cabbage - a buddy actually tears the longer leaves into strips & wraps it around the hook as well as on it - anyone else tried that with the longer stuff?

Still stoked, 24hrs later!!

Roberta

Hi guys

Thanks for the congrats - she was a goer & was full of ripe roe ( :( thank god there are lots of them!!) and really tried her hardest to get off. I had the drag set fairly hard & had a suicide hook on, so she didn't take any line or straighten the hook (as has been happening!) and it was my reel that I have repaired the bail arm spring 5 TIMES now!!! (Finally araldited the top bit to the shaft and so far, so good ....... I now close the bail arm manually every time, instead of using the handle!)

To the right of the yak/fence, there is another closed off area about 10ft across to another fence, parallel with this one! The fish use it as a highway & the size of them has to be seen to be believed! I even tried putting the float inside & just 'handled' the yak along the outside wall, keeping time with the float. There was one down, but I wasn't fast enough to set it! As I moved the yak, the intention was for the 'fringe dwellers' to scatter into the gully & take my bait! Didn't happen, but i will try it again next time! On extreme high tides, I'll be able to get into the gutter (just have to keep my eye on the level so I don't get stuck in there!!)

Methinks the yak will be getting a bit of a workout from here on in .... shame it is raining todaY! Will take the Hobie next time - I can pedal away from the structure to take the bigger fish to safety!

Steve - great to hear you're in touch with Cam - hope you have a successful foray there in Pittwater! I know he has caught the bug bad & doesn't like his little sister outfishing him! :1prop::1prop: (only kidding!) The lake is just sooo handy for him to get to & know there are fish there.

Re the cabbage - a buddy actually tears the longer leaves into strips & wraps it around the hook as well as on it - anyone else tried that with the longer stuff?

Still stoked, 24hrs later!!

Roberta

That's a cracker of a blackfish Good going

Roscoe

Lovely fish Roberta, niggering from a yak is definately an area that can be explored and devolped by yak fishers, i reckon a black queen would be too sloppy i'd look at a snyder CR4126 curt down to 8.5 foot from the butt as it is a little stiffer in the butt yet has a very soft forgiving tip, you can use it when you need to put the grunt on!

Cheers

LA

Hi LA

It is certainly much more different than fishing from a boat or shore!! Being that close to the water puts a whole different feel to the setting of the hook, landing the fish & just about everything! It has taken a while to get used to - but I am determined to make it as easy as it can be! Currently, I am much better at flicking flattie lures & mullet floats from my yaks, than blackie floats! It can only get better, tho!

Thanks for the suggestion of the stiffer rod - a shorter handle is essential! Iwasn't sure I would get her in, that is for sure! They really get in the way in a yak. I guess I really should just try the other 30 rods I have in the garage first before buying another one!! :1prop: Luckily, the other half doesn't know one rod from the other, so I manage to slip another one into the group on occasion! :1prop:

Cheerio

Roberta

A mate does a fair bit of niggering from his yak and he uses a cut down 4126, might i suggest a 4 or 5 weight fly rod in the 8ft if possible insert an extension of around 4 to 5 inches and glue a hypalon grip on with butt cap, fly rods are a little stiffer so this would work well, i would use a very small baitrunner on this setup even though i am a stickler for pins that style of reel eill make the casting and drifting of your float very easy!

I have a lot of crazy theories on luderick but most of them have worked! :1prop::wacko::beersmile: