Winter Kings

inhlanzi

Gday Raiders

Well here is a quick rundown of the day. I got a call from a good mate who asked if I would like to go and chase some kings out wide. Chances are we will bag out he said - yea right.

Greeted by an amazing weather day we headed out out into the deep we got to the area and tossed out the jigs.

post-1963-1187215836_thumb.jpg

Down down down they went the braid changing colour as it left the spools of the Saltigas. Then the franic wind and jerk begins - some have the rhythm and some don't - lets just say I have not yet achieved an optimum jigging style. At this point there was a bit of I wanna go first ... then the first hit and the Saltist buckled and the game was on for the young and strong and the old and buggered!!!

The next two hours saw numerous passes over the mark and more and more hookups. The Kings ranged from 60 something to over a meter. The Kings were interspersed with nice fat bonnies.

post-1963-1187218085_thumb.jpg

The chance to be on the jig rod was now not such an issue and there were "would you like to have a go mate?" followed by "no mate your right!!!

The water temp was about 16-17.5 range and the water colour was nice and blue.

I saw big strong men put the rod down yesterday to have a breather. There a are a lot of good blisters on the hands of the jiggers this morning. I now know why those Japanese fellows on the TV fishing shows wear gloves. It reached a point where we would "share the jig" you hook him and I will pull them in.

At this point the obligatory spew took place. Hanging over the side and eyeballing a mollyhawk him thinking yummo human burley - all part of fishing in the deep!!!. Anyway recovered soon enough with all the action going on.

In the end we kept about 18 Kings and four bonnies. I reckon we caught well over 20 for the morning.

We then continued with a much less energetic bottom bash for reds. The weater jut got better and better. Got one keeper reddie as well as blue morwong, pike, flattie, sgt bakers, and of course the ^%$@ leatheries.

Pulled the pin at 3 and went home.

If you have not had a go at jigging Kings make an effort to do so it is a fantastic way of fishing.

For obvious reasons I can't divulge the location but I can say this if you know how to use a sounder and you know where good structure is get you jigging gear ready and go and have go.

Cheers

inhlanzi

post-1963-1187173318_thumb.jpg

Edited by inhlanzi

Gday Raiders

Can't seem to catch anything decent in the good old Hawkesberry at the moment so went out wide and got stuck into the kings. Forgotten just what a magnificent fish these are.

Bit buggered after a long day so will add to the post later...tomorrow

enjoy

Cheers

inhlanzi

Mike, great to see you getting into some nice kingfish in between your jewies mate :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Well done mate, she looks a good size......how did it fight in this cold water, I have found the kings to fight considerably less in winter.

Great catch mate.... :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by netic

Well done mate, she looks a good size......how did it find in this cold water, I have found the kings to fight considerably less in winter.

Great catch mate.... :thumbup::thumbup:

Yes Netic, we noticed that also. We hooked a 65cm King whilst chasing Flatties on plastics in the Harbour and although it gave a reasonable tussle, it was nothing compared to the argument you get from them in the summer. :thumbup:

It was also fat and stayed more moist when I cooked it. :biggrin2:

If you have not had a go at jigging Kings make an effort to do so it is a fantastic way of fishing.

For obvious reasons I can't divulge the location but I can say this if you know how to use a sounder and you know where good structure is get you jigging gear ready and go and have go.

Cheers

inhlanzi

Yes well i have had a go at jigging..... well more than just a couple but the "kings" part of this jigging you speak of still eludes me damn it :mad3: We have tried many of these un divulgeable locations with a good sounder and are still yet to crack it for a king!!!! but at least i have managed a fish.... all be it only of the leather variety!!!!

Congrats on a nice day on the water for all inhlanzi. :thumbup::1fishing1::thumbup:

He he, I know where you were judging by the pics! Dont worry your secret is safe with me.

Hehehehe, so do I :yahoo:

If you just wouldn't mind telling me so I can confirm with you, that I actually knew what you already knew because you were actually out there :biggrin2:

Top session, I love reports that go like that :thumbup:

Cheers,

Stumpy