Quality Winter Flathead

Hodgey

G'Day all,

There has been no shortage of Flathead around in Tuross Lake, as long as you are prepared to put in a lot of work to catch them on lures. Saturday's tide was pretty ordinary but the weather was magic, so my fishing mate Dene and myself headed out for our traditional Saturday Soft Plastic sojourn. We threw lures hell, west and crooked for three hours without success, and then our luck changed.

I changed lure color, and moments later landed a small flatty (36cm - released), followed by a 40cm and a 42cm. The fish were very savage in their attack of the plastics. No warning ... just a sudden reversal of the retrieve and a screaming reel. Dene managed a couple of fish of similar size as well, and the session was proving to be very entertaining. I was into a better fish of approx 50cm but dropped him at the boat through carelessness on my own behalf :mad3::mad3:

Redemption was swift, however, as the next two fish in the hour were 61cm and 62cm

post-3198-1187666149_thumb.jpg

Sunday's weather was very cold, with the same ordinary tide, but we tried our luck for 2 hours in the afternoon anyway :1prop:

An hour and a half later, whilst lamenting our optimistic attitudes, Dene's little SOL is screaming, and we thought we had finally nailed an exceptional Winter Flatty. Surprisingly, it only went 61cm, but I still consider these really good fish for Winter. Just imagine the size we should encounter in the warmer months!!!

post-3198-1187666187_thumb.jpg

Hodgey

Great report mate, very good fillets for the table on those Flatties :1prop:

It pays a lot to change the colours and styles of plastics you have in your collection, who knows you may have caught 5 more before you got into those ones if you'd changed earlier :tease:

IFS

Great report mate, very good fillets for the table on those Flatties :1prop:

It pays a lot to change the colours and styles of plastics you have in your collection, who knows you may have caught 5 more before you got into those ones if you'd changed earlier :tease:

IFS

Nice couple of sessions. :thumbup:

How is the entrance at the moment?

G'Day all,

There has been no shortage of Flathead around in Tuross Lake, as long as you are prepared to put in a lot of work to catch them on lures. Saturday's tide was pretty ordinary but the weather was magic, so my fishing mate Dene and myself headed out for our traditional Saturday Soft Plastic sojourn. We threw lures hell, west and crooked for three hours without success, and then our luck changed.

I changed lure color, and moments later landed a small flatty (36cm - released), followed by a 40cm and a 42cm. The fish were very savage in their attack of the plastics. No warning ... just a sudden reversal of the retrieve and a screaming reel. Dene managed a couple of fish of similar size as well, and the session was proving to be very entertaining. I was into a better fish of approx 50cm but dropped him at the boat through carelessness on my own behalf :mad3::mad3:

Redemption was swift, however, as the next two fish in the hour were 61cm and 62cm

post-3198-1187666149_thumb.jpg

Sunday's weather was very cold, with the same ordinary tide, but we tried our luck for 2 hours in the afternoon anyway :1prop:

An hour and a half later, whilst lamenting our optimistic attitudes, Dene's little SOL is screaming, and we thought we had finally nailed an exceptional Winter Flatty. Surprisingly, it only went 61cm, but I still consider these really good fish for Winter. Just imagine the size we should encounter in the warmer months!!!

post-3198-1187666187_thumb.jpg

Hodgey

Hodgey that's another nice Tuross flathead result down south mate . Well done :thumbup:

And the guy in the member photo sure looks perfectly armed and handy enough to wake up dozens of sleepy flathead, I tell ya :074:

cheers mate,

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Well done Hodgey :thumbup:

Gotta love Flatties on plastic!!!! What lures did the damage? :1fishing1:

3" Atomic Prong in Pumkinseed/1/4 oz Nitro jighead

70mm Squidgy Wriggler in 24 Carrot/ 1/4 oz Squidgy jighead

Slider grub in MotorOil/3/8 0z Nitro jighead

Thank you all for the response/interest in the report!

Edited by Hodgey

3" Atomic Prong in Pumkinseed/1/4 oz Nitro jighead

70mm Squidgy Wriggler in 24 Carrot/ 1/4 oz Squidgy jighead

Slider grub in MotorOil/3/8 0z Nitro jighead

Thank you all for the response/interest in the report!

Bugger.. now I have to go to the tackle shop again :074::yahoo:

Well done, guys!! Nice fat looking fish. A buddy reckons he hooked a flattie up here last week that would have gone 15lb (on a fluoro green prawn sp.) He didn't have a net & was fishing from the rocks & it spat the hook when it broke the surface. Now is the time they regularly come on the chew again.

Cheers

Roberta

Onya Hodgey!

Great results and I can't tell you how jealous it makes me to hear someone refer to their "traditional Saturday Soft Plastic sojourn". If only I were similarly blessed.

Anyhow I wonder if your lure change was what did the trick on Saturday, or whether it was actually a change in the barometer? I only ask because just before reading this report I read Ceph's report on fishing the harbour in which he noted that the fish came on part-way through Saturday arvo when the southerly began its approach.

Could this be more evidence of JewGaffer's brilliant analysis of improved fishing during weather changes? I have no idea really - but I choose to believe that YES it is!!!!

Great post guys,

The term 'Winter flathead' is getting me excited as I don't usually target them until after September. I'm out there next week now! I wonder if that southerly brought on the change of bite?? :wacko:

Cheers and keep the Saturday arvo reports coming!

Onya Hodgey!

Great results and I can't tell you how jealous it makes me to hear someone refer to their "traditional Saturday Soft Plastic sojourn". If only I were similarly blessed.

Anyhow I wonder if your lure change was what did the trick on Saturday, or whether it was actually a change in the barometer? I only ask because just before reading this report I read Ceph's report on fishing the harbour in which he noted that the fish came on part-way through Saturday arvo when the southerly began its approach.

Could this be more evidence of JewGaffer's brilliant analysis of improved fishing during weather changes? I have no idea really - but I choose to believe that YES it is!!!!

Mondo, I am convinced that the change in the weather did the trick. Jewgaffer is onto something spectacular. :biggrin2:

Thanks Hodgey,that's just the report I needed to see-we're off to Tuross on Saturday for a week,including 3 dogs!Can't wait to check the place out,I haven't been there before.Hope we do better than we did at Narrandera last weekend on the Murrumbidgee -complete blank but my 11 y.o. daughter's casting improved no end after I got her a pink Uglystik spinrod (that is after she wrapped a brand new $16 minnow 15 foot up a gumtree).

Cheers,

Dave.