1st Blackfish Attempt

Capt Hook

1st time post as far as fishing reports go....

1st time Blackfish attempt as well ( sorry roosterman...couldn't wait till next weekend )

Big thanks firstly to Roosterman and Roberta for their priceless tips and knowledge in the other section re Ludderick fishing...

I hit Harbord early this morning to collect sea cabbage/weed...and found it real easy...

Then hit my local tackle store for some floats and also bought a Blackfish rod in the end...

Got to my usual fishing wharf I frequent with my fishing mad daughter ( she was at school today but has already intimated she will be sick tomorrow and join me hunting these fish ).... :074:

After rigging up pretty similar to Roosterman's diagram...I baited up and cast out...not far off the wharf I was at...followed this up by quickly chopping some of this cabbage and mixing it with sand and berleying out close to my 2 floats...

Within a minute...even before I had a chance to light up a smoke...one floats started to sink and kept going...I pull the rod up and start turning the reel...bugger me...I'm on...after targetting Bream/Trevally etc off the wharf in the couple of years I've been fishing...this was much more fun...these blackfish really have a go...great fight for a little fish...got him up to the surface and with one hand on the rod and the other trying to net him I finally managed to get it right...1st ever Blackie landed...

The bugger swallowed the hook and while I tried to get the hook out amongst all his thrashing and wiggling...I remembered my other line and when I turned to look...no float...I realised that was on a fish as well and just dumped the fish in the bucket and grabbed the other rod...this one was even better...turned out to be 1 fine 44cm specimen and went like the clappers...

I wasted 10 minutes or so re hooking both my rods as the buggers swallowed both right down to their butts...but landed another quickly as well...an old regular at the wharf came round and proceeded to tell me how to kill them but I think he just wanted to stab something with my knife and cut flesh to see blood... :1yikes: ...

By now I've had enough and am on a high after being revved up by Roberta's and Roostermans Blackie posts..start cleaning the fish and getting ready to pack up after just on an hours of fishing...took photos etc...left rods till last though...

What happens ?

1 floats gone whilst I was cleaning the fish and yapping away...another Blackie on...eddie the expert grabs my net and expertly hits the trace and bye bye Blackie... :mad3:

I did land another couple quickly after that and was over the moon with my first attempt and results...

I didn't take more pics after my first shots...meh...

One thing I'll say though...and it's true...once you've had black...you can't go back... :074:

niggers1.JPG

Edited by Capt Hook

Heeeeyyyyyy!!! Well done, Capt!!! You have jumped (assuming the mods pass your 44cm specimen in the photo with the tape ....) to no 2 on the biggest blackie nominated on Fishraider!! No mean feat either!! Don't they go???? Always measure the big ones on a clear/big tape (like a brag mat!) to be sure, to be sure!!

So pleased Roosterman's & my posts have helped you into them!! Also hope you enjoy eating them! Yum! Had some last night! Check out my tips for freezing the crumbed fillets ready to go!

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=17392

Way to go!!!

cheers

Roberta

well done capt good to see your first attempt was a good one. i have only been blackfishing for about 6 months and your right about not going back. i was lucky enough to snatch a 44 as my first fish it was off the ledges at curly i havnt yet beaten that altough i havnt been off the rocks for a while now as i have been tuning my skills in the estury systems. great to see you enjoy it :1clap::1clap:

Well done Capt Hook - I bet your daughter was excited to see your catch :thumbup:

It is very encouraging for all the members of our fishraider family to read these sort of posts.

The input from members really does help everyone to enjoy their fishing and learn more and more.

Big thanks to Roberta and Roosterman - its members like you guys that make fishraider the BEST fishing website in Australia :thumbup:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

PS I might have to go with swordy and Ross Hunter on their next blackfishing jaunt

well done capt hook :thumbup: ,

thats a reel good start mate..44cm is one fine luderick and lots would be proud after many years to get one that big... im glad my and roberta's info was able to help you get into these great fish....

i can see the sickness setting in now..... its called blackie fever :1prop: .. the only cure is getting back out there and into em. :biggrin2: ... make sure you clean that black lining out or even better boneless fillet them.. they have a real nice flavour so however you cook them do it in a way to enhance this... i just use a little butter to grease pan/baking dish and fresh cracked pepper/salt.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... cannot beat fresh blackfish.... anyway hope to catch up... you didnt mention the secret weapons did you..... :secret: ... rooster floats.....

Edited by roosterman

Inspiring first attempt - and a monster fish thrown in too!! Well done!

Just out of curiosity, what part of the tide were you fishing and how deep did you have to set the weed under the float?

I fished just after the low tide...as I had to collect the cabbage first just on the full low tide...as far as how deep I set my rig to hang in the water...dunno...2 metres or so maybe...I didn't adjust it at all...just berleyed near my float...

Stopped off at my local tackle shop on my way back home to get some more floats...and boast...and they said the blackfish are everywhere...off the rocks near the wash...around wharfs...every where...all year round as well...just that not many fishos target them...which I hope stays that way...more for me then... :biggrin2:

I'm going again today...my kid has chucked a sicky to cross over to the dark side and join dad...lol...her mum already is suspicious...but no matter what...we're going for Blackies for a couple of hours...

Very addictive...

I fished just after the low tide...as I had to collect the cabbage first just on the full low tide...as far as how deep I set my rig to hang in the water...dunno...2 metres or so maybe...I didn't adjust it at all...just berleyed near my float...

Stopped off at my local tackle shop on my way back home to get some more floats...and boast...and they said the blackfish are everywhere...off the rocks near the wash...around wharfs...every where...all year round as well...just that not many fishos target them...which I hope stays that way...more for me then... :biggrin2:

I'm going again today...my kid has chucked a sicky to cross over to the dark side and join dad...lol...her mum already is suspicious...but no matter what...we're going for Blackies for a couple of hours...

Very addictive...

Hi all

Dad (Capt Hook ) took me Black fishing today and now I know why he was so excited yesterday. It was so much fun collecting the green cabbage and then catching these fish.We only fished for an hour and caught 4 of them...the 1st one I caught was 37 cm long and much more fun than catching bream and trevally , but my 2nd one was a monster and put up a huge fight and when we finally got him in the net my dad knew I had landed a monster ludderick.

46 cm and we took him to our fishing club presidents factory to weigh and measure the fish and they also recorded it.It weighed 1.3 kilos.

I am 11 years old and fishing for 2 years now last year I won our clubs junior and ladies prize.

Here's my pics , plus Dad helped me do this.

cass006.JPG

cass10.JPG

cass11.JPG

cass12.JPG

cass13.JPG

:thumbup:

1st time post as far as fishing reports go....

1st time Blackfish attempt as well ( sorry roosterman...couldn't wait till next weekend )

Big thanks firstly to Roosterman and Roberta for their priceless tips and knowledge in the other section re Ludderick fishing...

I hit Harbord early this morning to collect sea cabbage/weed...and found it real easy...

Then hit my local tackle store for some floats and also bought a Blackfish rod in the end...

Got to my usual fishing wharf I frequent with my fishing mad daughter ( she was at school today but has already intimated she will be sick tomorrow and join me hunting these fish ).... :074:

After rigging up pretty similar to Roosterman's diagram...I baited up and cast out...not far off the wharf I was at...followed this up by quickly chopping some of this cabbage and mixing it with sand and berleying out close to my 2 floats...

Within a minute...even before I had a chance to light up a smoke...one floats started to sink and kept going...I pull the rod up and start turning the reel...bugger me...I'm on...after targetting Bream/Trevally etc off the wharf in the couple of years I've been fishing...this was much more fun...these blackfish really have a go...great fight for a little fish...got him up to the surface and with one hand on the rod and the other trying to net him I finally managed to get it right...1st ever Blackie landed...

The bugger swallowed the hook and while I tried to get the hook out amongst all his thrashing and wiggling...I remembered my other line and when I turned to look...no float...I realised that was on a fish as well and just dumped the fish in the bucket and grabbed the other rod...this one was even better...turned out to be 1 fine 44cm specimen and went like the clappers...

I wasted 10 minutes or so re hooking both my rods as the buggers swallowed both right down to their butts...but landed another quickly as well...an old regular at the wharf came round and proceeded to tell me how to kill them but I think he just wanted to stab something with my knife and cut flesh to see blood... :1yikes: ...

By now I've had enough and am on a high after being revved up by Roberta's and Roostermans Blackie posts..start cleaning the fish and getting ready to pack up after just on an hours of fishing...took photos etc...left rods till last though...

What happens ?

1 floats gone whilst I was cleaning the fish and yapping away...another Blackie on...eddie the expert grabs my net and expertly hits the trace and bye bye Blackie... :mad3:

I did land another couple quickly after that and was over the moon with my first attempt and results...

I didn't take more pics after my first shots...meh...

One thing I'll say though...and it's true...once you've had black...you can't go back... :074:

niggers1.JPG

Terrific catch captain cook :thumbup:

Cripes that 44 looks a big drum and just had a second look it's got a mouth like a shark

cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1::074:

.... PS I might have to go with swordy and Ross Hunter on their next blackfishing jaunt......

Hi Donna

Definitely get out & play with the big boys!!! Get out & wet your line again!! The fish are on & waiting to be caught! The girls are leading the charge - holding first & 2nd position in the records stats!!

Cassie - a fantastic fish that will stay in member's minds for a very long time!!! Well done!

Cheerio

Roberta

The girls are showing the boys how to fish ..... and they're not going to like it - better get used to it tho!!

Edited by Roberta