78kg Marlin Caught At Swr

arpie

Hi guys

Just to get you excited .... thought I'd titivate the taste buds!!!

UTube of the marlin jumping!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E2iT0U63XQ

I have been at SWR for the last 9 days ..... had some yakking buddies join me thru the week & weekend - I mainly fished the back creek & river but went out onto the ocean off the Gaol on Sat. I would have been happy just hooking bonito or other livies!!! I didn't really want a marlin! Probably not the best choice in days ..... it began to blow a gale, but prior to that the water was really choppy & bumpy & I was the only one that admitted to throwing up ....... 6 times!!!! :mad3: I was gutted - felt like my tummy had turned inside out! I just called it free burley!!! I still reckon it was the squid heads that I had vacuum packed ..... when I opened it out there to use, I immediately thought ..... Oooooops, here's trouble! I stayed out for about 2.5hrs tho - a record for me, given it was only my 2nd time out to sea and I was in the smallest yak - the Hobie SPORT! At least I didn't roll my yak when I landed back on the beach tho!

I was fishing the river at the time & had just returned to the jetty when a boat came in & the skipper said "There's a lunatic in a kayak out there with a marlin on!! Last time we saw him, he was heading towards NZ with 5 other yakking buddies in hot pursuit!!" :1yikes: I just went WOOOOHOOO!!! Hope it was Paul ....... hope it was on the Squidgie ...... and I was right on both accounts!!! He had a livie on the other Big Game rod that he had trolling as well!!

post-2231-1203932549_thumb.jpg

The highlight of the weekend was Paul actually hooking a marlin on a big Squidgie lure on a 10-15kg rod with 30lb line & 100lb trace! It was his 'bait jig' rod & only threw the Squidgie on for a joke - we'd called it a 'sex toy' & had been making rude comments about the feel of the thing & just generally mucking around & Paul put it on, more for a joke, I think! ! I had helped him 'set it up'. He was going to just go with the one BIG hook, but I suggested a stinger on the side & actually rigged the stinger hook up for him ..... and guess what!!!?? It was the Stinger that helped hook the marlin!! The marlin was hooked in the side & when he jumped, the 100lb leader wrapped around his bill numerous times, so he was effectively 'fighting it from the mouth'!

post-2231-1203932587_thumb.jpg

As many of you will know, the bill of a marlin is like very coarse sand paper, so the fact that it took about 3hrs to subdue - is testament to the quality of the line - it was scuffed, but didn't break!!! :thumbup::yahoo::1yikes:

post-2231-1203932672_thumb.jpg

He was absolutely knackered at the end of it, as it had towed him out to sea about 5km & he had to coax it back towards land again! He also had to tow the whole thing back to the beach as his gaff broke!! As he approached the rocks beneath the Gaol, it took off again, dragging him out another km!

Yes, he did keep it - I have a fridge full of Marlin steaks as I speak (as have all the yakkers that were still there at the time! We had a Marlin cookup last night, too!) Will he keep another one? NO! He was on a high/low roller coaster for the rest of the afternoon & evening & I doubt he got much sleep last night!! It was an incredibly emotional thing - can you really imagine the hard work that he had to put into it? No boat to back you up to the marlin - just you & your yak against a huge 7ft+ monster!

Luckily he was in a Hobie Revolution, not a regular paddling yak - it would have been virtually impossible to land one in a paddle yak. Pedal is the way to go!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

At that point in time, it was believed to be the biggest marlin landed this summer, but today, we heard of another boater that went 20km out to the shelf who landed a 250kg monster!!!!

Edited by Roberta

.....just you & your yak against a huge 7ft+ monster!

.....Luckily he was in a Hobie Revolution, not a regular paddling yak - it would have been virtually impossible to land one in a paddle yak. Pedal is the way to go!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

That was an awesome report Roberta, a seven foot Marlin caught out of a kayak. Amazing stuff!!!

This old kayak fisherman is a real Don Othaldo using the old pedal power 5 kilometers offshore with a huge marlin on the other end of a kayak instead of a Mack back loader with a ten speed reverse. Blimey pedal is the way to go, fair dinkum? Struth my back must be weaker than a dinky kid's back that's for sure :D

Absolutely a fantastic effort Roberta !!! :thumbup:

Struth think of the billboards and endorsements for this effort !!!! :1yikes:

Better get in and market this guy before Harry M steps in ay!

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thats! Huge!!!

Just too hard to fathom what the fight would have been like from a yak.

Can't wait too see the pics, and no shame in keeping it, better in the freezer than all the dead marlin that the divers have seen lying on the ocean floor in seasons gone bye.

I think i'll start with big carp from the yak first, but then again you wont catch me out there in a yak.

I know how big the sharks are!

Lata Raida.

Waynie

Hi Roberta,

that is a great report about a fantastic catch, can't wait for the pics to be posted. One has to be in awe of the guys ability and determination to beat such a large fish, especially when he was heading out to sea with no idea of how long the fight would take or where he would end up.!!

Sounds as if a Hobie is the way to go!

cheers

Sails

Hi guys

Got some pics up - apparantly the 'marlin jump' is on Utube already too - a bit wobbly, having the video taken from another yak!!

Here is another one of the 'group', with Paul in the middle, his partner Lynette is in the orange yak to the left - and she travelled the whole journey with him!! How awesome is that!?? And she didn't throw up!!

He has instant Legend Status now!!!

post-2231-1203933391_thumb.jpg

post-2231-1203935290_thumb.jpg

Also, one of the guys got a shot of me with 2 dolphins jumping over my rear end (so to speak :1prop: )

I know that I just heard an almighty splash & turned around to see the sea boiling immediately next to my yak! I nearly fell off!!! Luckily I had my inflatable life jacket on :1yikes:

post-2231-1203933511_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for the positive comments guys - I know that Paul doesn't want photos in newspapers or magazines in case some idiot takes offense at the capture & decides to give retribution - lots of funny people out there. There would have been little or no chance of the marlin surviving after such an epic slog - a lot of people have shared in and with his experience.

Hey Waynie - one of the locals told us afterwards about a big tiger shark that has been lurking around there recently ........ also a bloke from Tamworth drowned at Lighthouse Beach late last week & they still hadn't found the body. :(

Here is my arty farty shot ...

post-2231-1203934056_thumb.jpg

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

hi Roberta,

thats an awesome tale of yak vs beakie......

that really is something most could only dream of...

i think once the adrenaline dies down-like in a year or 2 he will sleep for a week from exhaustion eh.......

i think you guys are mad getting outside in yaks and i think paul is a maniak in a yak.. :074: ...

who needs big cruisers and a weeks wages in fuel to chase big game fish.... just go get fit and use a yak :1prop: .....

cheers... Steve......

Edited by roosterman

After spending time at Port Stephens onboard Billfisher & experiencing these magnificent fish & the efforts (Even with twin Cummins power under you!) they take to bring in I am in total awe of that effort

:1worthy:

Obviously he is totally insane :insane: but oh my god what a story he has to tell (If it were me there would be no stone unturned in seeking anyone with ears to ramble on for hours about an effort like that) But sadly it will never be me coz I value my life, am lazy to the bone & can only paddle UP creeks!

Congratulations to Paul & also you Roberta for a fantastic story & excellent pics (PS you should frame the dolphin one its beautiful)

Cheers

Edited by Boofhead

Congrats to all involved, that is a fantastic achievment and one that you will now remember for the rest of your life. As for yor arty farty shot lol Mrsswordfisherman THATS the look !!, still cant get it out of my head.

Paul and Roberta as for your knockers, if they had any sense they may or may not realise that it would probably be totally impossible to the revive that beautiful marlin anyway, would be no hope in a yak without a 25hp on the end lol,so congrats to your capture :beersmile:

I hope you thanked the marlin for the fight and said sorry then hopefully threw a gold one in. If not do it now lol :tease:

Edited by smokinjoe

A modern day 'Old man and the Sea!' :1yikes::1yikes:

What an incredible read. There is some great photos, particularly the dolphins. You yakkers are a crazy bunch!! What an amazing effort that must have been to control a fish of that power and size, all while parked on your bum! The most memorable catch for 2008 IMO!

And your 'arsty' shot, Roberta? ... :biggrinthumb:

Hodgey

Edited by Hodgey

Thanks guys - I only wish Paul was a member of Fishraider as well, at the time!!! I have given him our website & hope he will join soon!!!

Even tho I was 'on the ground' when it all happened, I really do feel as tho I was out there with him! If I hadn't had such a shitty day out there the day before, throwing my guts up, I may have been 'one of the followers'! Sunday loomed smooth & flat, but I had already committed to go to the river with other buddies & still had a top day there.

The looks on the faces, at the boat ramp, spectators & boaties alike, when three boats came in one after another, telling of this 'loony on a yak being towed across the ocean' was Priceless!!

I would have been happy just to catch a bonito or yakka!!! Some guys went out every day & caught nothing! On previous days, he had caught a hammerhead shark & decent sized mack tuna, plus livies.

It will be mentioned in the local 'Happenings' newspaper & the Tackle Shop will send me a copy!

Cheerio

Roberta

This is the cheapie $80 Combo he caught it on - old 30lb braid, too!!

post-2231-1203982634_thumb.jpg

the boys bringing it in! Grant (in the black on the right) has landed 3 marlin from his yak. All bar the first one, released

post-2231-1203982659_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roberta

Roberta, what can I say except WOW! :1yikes:

This has to be the report of the year. An amazing story and great photos.

By the way, I like the "arty farty" shot. I also love the shot of all the yaks on the water. Looking forward to hearing more about your SWR adventure and seeing some more photos.

Thanks and Cheers

Peter

that is absolutely amazing :1yikes: bragging rights for life at the pub :beersmile:

i have only just got into kayak fishing( hobie outback)and a big flatty bream or whiting gives you a lot of curry i can,t imagine what a marlin would be like , but would love to have the chance one day

nothing compares to pedals!!

that has pumped me up

hey Baited - there were a few Outbacks out there, but only the one SPORT!!! ME!!

Inhalanzi - there were 2 SA guys there with beautiful Eric's Fishing Surf Ski - beautiful looking yak craft .... but no pedals!! They do surf the waves really well tho! One bloke had a biiig spanish Mack on when a 3m shark came & took it, getting hooked up in the process! Once he saw the size of the thing .... he cut his line! A bit 'peeved' at losing his Spanish Mack tho!!!

Cheerio

Roberta

One bloke had a biiig spanish Mack on when a 3m shark came & took it, getting hooked up in the process! Once he saw the size of the thing .... he cut his line! A bit 'peeved' at losing his Spanish Mack tho!!!

When I first read the report I thought they were nuts. Reading this, I am now convinced they are.

I dont think I could be comfortable (mentally that is) in a kayak offshore knowing what is out there.

You kayakers certainly have some guts (or at least some of you do) to be out there. Must have been a thrill though to be pulled around by a Marlin.

Do you feel safe out there Roberta?

Hi Boban

Utube of the marlin jumping!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E2iT0U63XQ

You are surely right about us yak fishos having guts - most of mine are still out there after the big spew!!! :074:

I was cautious, not really scared .... disappointed I got crook, but should have expected it as I usually get sick on boats & have always been carsick, but usually manage fine in rivers, lakes, dams & estuaries on the yak! I am not, by nature, a risk taker ....... if I didn't think I could do it, I wouldn't have gone out! Next time, I'll borrow a longer yak ...... if there is a next time!!!

It was my first time ever really out to sea (other time was a paddle off One Mile with my husband on my birthday in May & I rolled the yak when I came in!) I deliberately didn't even take the yak off the rack till others arrived!! I never would have gone out without others going out & back in with me!!! One guy paddled out with me (the one that got the shot with the dolphins) and there was actually another guy in the shot, who was very nice to offer to paddle back with me to make sure I got past any shore break without difficulty!!

post-2231-1204111524_thumb.jpg

This time, I did it right ..... even used the paddle to change direction in the small waves I caught on the way in. :yahoo: I must get out on my home beach (with no gear) & try it a few more times ..... with someone else! Having the blowup vest made it much more comfortable than the foam type ones - very uncomfortable & restrictive in movement. I think also my trousers were a bit tight around my waist, compounding the sick problem!

It was really calm when I went out at 6am but by 7am a chop had started, by then I had already thrown up & thrown the rest of the 'real' bait overboard, as I reckoned it would bring on another session! Luckily it didn't happen!! By 8am i was ready to head back & I was back on the beach before 9am. It really started to blow at 10am & by mid afternoon, one tent got flattened in a big gust! We were checking Seabreeze & stuff like that all the time & everyone going out knew what conditions to expect!

I then tried trolling a biggish soft plastic, but what I thought was a big jig head didn't make a lot of difference out there - it had to be knocking on 1oz to do anything! The weight of Paul's lure was quite significant but I am not sure how far out the back he had it.

The thought of a Great White or Tiger shark getting me hadn't really occured to me, plus I wasn't going out as far as the others .... altho locals have since advised us that there has been a big tiger shark seen in the area ....... luckily a big one was caught by one of the boats on the weekend - don't know if it was put back :wacko: Hope not!

This is the Gaol & Rocks from where I was before heading back! I guess it looks further out than I thought I was ...... maybe the camera has a wider angle lens & makes it look worse!!!! Paul was only 500m out from the rocks when he hooked up!! You can see a bit of chop - later it was full on white caps!

post-2231-1204112202_thumb.jpg

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Edited by Roberta