One Bad Tempered Mako

Rabs

Hello all,

After reading a few reports of YFT we (splinters, cruisecraft and NB) decided to give it a go on Sunday. Browns on Sunday morning was like a Woolies carpark, so gave that a miss. Found 20.3C east and began to cube. All zeros until one of the 50's gave a short run and then all hell broke lose. Splinters took the weight and the water at the back of the boat erupted. A cobalt blue missile lauched it self from the white water having felt the hook. This was one pissed off Mako. We counted 10 spectacular jumps reaching metres in the air, making marlin look lazy. The 130lb fluro leader didn't last long and that was that. Nice day on the water, plenty of bait, stripey's and acres of birds on the 70fathom mark on the way in. Check out the photo and no it has not been altered in any way.

Cheers,

Rabs.

post-4948-1223976561_thumb.jpg

Now I know why I stick to the safety of my little lake/estuary system down here ... that bloody thing is frightening :1yikes::1yikes: The power required to get a fish of that weight out of the water to that height is mindboggling. Would have been an incredible spectacle to witness. Great photo! :thumbup:

Hodgey

i saw a mako out at one of the fads early this year , we where getting into the mahi . i thought about hoooking him and then i went no way i have heard of the damage they can do . I was on my own and it would have been my first time . So i thought i would wait for a time when i would be with more experianced shark fisher men.

Great photos mate.

Raiders,

Thanks for the feedback. I posted this photo to share with those who appreciate the power and respect that these fish demand. In my opinion a large Mako is more challenging that any other fish - very unpredictable. I was pleased to read many funny replies.

It is very difficult to estimate a weight of a fast moving fish especially from a distance and we generally rely upon experience in doing so. Estimates are very subjective - it was for this reason that I did not provide an estimate in my original post. I can assure you that having fished with well known sharkfisherman this was one big mako. It is very difficult to get a good shot of these fish jumping as only the large sharks put on such a display.

I hope many enjoyed the photo ( thanks to Nathan, while I was stuffing around getting the big lens on).

Cheers,

Rabs.

Thanks for it too - I love it so much I used it as my desktop. I agree with you about makos too... I hated to kill the last one, I don't think I'll do it again. How long do you think it was? My last was about 7' and 100 kg (estimated) round figures.