Hawksbury jewfish

stickybeak

I Don't think over 20 I've seen them bigger than this not hitting the 25kg figures"

According to this link, a jewfish of 135cm (1cm more than this) weighs 24.9kg on average. It is quite variable but looks every bit of 24-25kg to me...

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/weigh

Edited by mulloway man

that is a cracker of a fish no doubt about it - but 25kg??? 2.2lb to the kg makes it around 55lb - would say 30lb maybe 35lb would be a lot closer which means converted back into kg brings it in at around13 to 15kg. very nice fish just the same and congratulations to your mate !

pete.

post-8689-040846000 1354007662_thumb.jpeg

this one went 24lb or10.9kg

sorry dont know how to rotate the pic.

Edited by tide'n'knots

we could argue about the weight all we want, fact is nice fish,and if was caught in the hawkesbury even better.looks like a resident jew for sure (colours are darker) id"e say caught up around gunnderman onwards good to see there are still decent fish in the system,just got to fish the write times, been told you have 2 to 3 days a month when the tides are write and the traffic is at its least,reguardless your mate has nailed it cracker fish good work

ps weighs around 17 to 19 :}

Cracking fish every bit 20 -25 kgs I pulled a fish that went 128cm a few years back from the rail bridge and it weighed 25kgs so your mates fish has to be some where around that in my opinion great fish none the less well done to him :thumbup:

It isn't as brown as some of the fish in the river - not saying that I disagree with what the members have said but I think it would be darker if it was a resident fish. Without giving away your spot, how far from the mouth of Broken Bay was it caught.

If you still have the head, take the otoliths out. The number of rings will show you how old it is. Here are some which show that the fish is two years old. The rings are hard to see but if you look closely they are on the edge of the one on the left.

post-3217-062373700 1354048222_thumb.jpg

Edited by plankton