Beach based Flathead, Eastern Suburbs

rikkigilbey

So having had some success from the beach in the recent low swells with flathead, i decided to try again in the bigger swells to see what difference it made.

so i up my gear to heavy star sinkers, and armed with a few salted pilchards i set up base on the beach and waited for the surfers to leave.

at dusk my first line got wet and it was a steady stream of fish of from there on in . with a lot of non hook ups and rig changing, to find the most efficient, I landed 7 legal flathead smallest being 41cm.

the last of which gave a little knock, so i paused waited, and waited....and then boom! it shot off on a short but sharp initial run, im think ahh nice salmon. so i turn its head and it swims fast at me, im like ahhhh nice flat head, then stops turns and takes another few runs and even comes to the surface, so im thinking what??? if this is a flathead its going to be a pb for sure! and sure enough after an awesome fight in the surf this whopping 68cm croc rocks up at my feet! im stoked! i never expected to get my pb flathead off the beach!

so pleased with recent success ive been having with the flathead, im developing quite a taste for them!

post-19135-0-60377200-1366697372_thumb.jpg post-19135-0-89680200-1366697565_thumb.jpg post-19135-0-98752500-1366697820_thumb.jpg

hm, I hit the northern beaches this morning, using pillies on a ganged hook - the surf was maybe a bit small.

landed 2 ~35cm-40cm tailor, and was bitten off by another.

It seems the surf was too flat for the flatties