Another day in paradise (hulk bream)

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

I haven't been out for a while, so I got in contact with Garfield28 during the week and told him the weather looked good for Sunday. So we pencilled it in and met at shoal bay with his son Ryan at the ramp at 6am. Straight out to bait station to pick up a few livies, good to see the slimies about and headed off for broughton island. We were greeted with a nice swell, light winds and a moderate temp. Hit the sisters and after a few drifts we decided to anchor up and burley hard. It instantly paid rewards with a few nice pannies but not what we were looking for. We really wanted something bigger but the sun was rising and the fish were getting smaller so it was time to move.

post-24974-0-85507300-1439710069_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-83718400-1439710115_thumb.jpg

So after unsuccessfully trolling some live baits around the bommies, we anchored up again this time at north rock and sent out a few livies, one deep and one under a float. After burleying again, the sea came to life and there were fish everywhere. Behind the boat, on the sounder, busting up around us and it looked very promising. We were all using various baits and believe it or not the winner of the day was chicken breast! (Just found out I'm not getting dinner) Yep, good old chicken. So, as we were all baited up I noticed a bust up behind the boat and decided to chuck my line at it. Bang I came up tight and low and behold, I'm hooked up to a rat king!!!!

post-24974-0-41382700-1439710775_thumb.jpg

Definately a first for me, a king on chicken! Wow! But the best was yet to come when garfield comes up tight and this thing is heavy and peeling line. We are all thinking snapper but after a good battle up comes this hulk bream! It went 42cm on the lie detector and a fat fish too!

post-24974-0-08212300-1439711064_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-49263900-1439711170_thumb.jpg

After that, I dropped two fish on my livies and we managed a few other reefies including a couple of port jacksons. We then moved to cod rock for a few drifts but time was now beating us and it was time to leave! A pleasent ride home at we made it back to the ramp by 4pm. We may not have got the big boys we were hoping for but it was another beautiful day in paradise!

Thanks for the day Geoff. Great company and conversation, perfect weather and congrats on that hulk bream!

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

No sign of plastics been worked mate!!! What happened to the "go to" technique?? Wollies out of prawns!!!

Cracking bream by the way.

Cheers Dom

Lol. I couldn't get there and Garfield forgot. So I was using fresh squid legs on a jig head! Worked a treat. I did spend some time with sp's, and missed a ripper but we were anchored for a majority of the time!

Great work scratchie. Kings on chicken no suprise to me.

I scored a 75cm model a few years back on chicken gut shore based in Balmain.... that was definitely a pleasant suprise.

Cheers Daniel

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Top day out on the water Scratchie, where else would you wanna be :fishing1: as you say heaps and heaps of fish hanging around the boat I've never seen so many fish in my life, certainly made it hard to get the bait down as it got smashed as soon as it went below the water. Was the first time the young bloke and I have ever caught live bait too which was a buzz, and what a spin out to see so many boats all congregate in one area it looked like a cab rank outside a disco.... shame to see the livey get dropped after whatever had it screamed a a few meters of line off.

Bites all day and plenty of just undersized snapper, sure made for a great day, and what about that monster Bream :o The wife was surprised for me to come home with fish for once :clapping:

Was a top day Scratchie, I second the great company and the awesome weather over beautiful Port Stephens... Cannot wait for the next one.

Cheers

Geoff

post-32204-0-03574400-1439811900_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-29729900-1439812011_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-20042000-1439812127_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-84557800-1439812251_thumb.jpg

Scratchie, that looks and sounds fantastic. Congratulations as usual. We haven't been out on the boat for 3 weeks as we have been sick as dogs. Come on the warm weather.

Cheers Harold. The lurgie has been running through my family too.

Can't wait for the warmer weather!!!