Gold Coast Seaway Wall

Dave_

G'day everyone,

Now that I've settled in after my recent move to QLD, I've started having a look at a few land based spots that I can try until I get a few things sorted with my boat. I must say that my fishing form has dropped of considerably since coming up here, hopefully that's just due to the fact that I'm still learning the area.

Anyway, the Mrs and I gave the Gold Coast Seaway wall a go twice over the last week. Reports that the wall is incredibly hard to fish due to the fact that the rocks extend a long way out and strong tidal flow didn't deter me and were somewhat exaggerated. It's not that hard to fish, I didn't have one bust off due to snags.

The first day was a little frustrating, a few undersized flatties between 36-39cm (40cm limit here) and a small flounder for me. My wife hooked up to a small Queenie on her second cast which done a few backflips and she done well to land it on the Bream gear. It was cool to see a new species for both of us. Not much else after that.

Today was tough too. We got there at first light, about 2 hours before high tide. Perfect for surface feeding pelagics or so I thought. Spun metals for a couple of hours on the big gear for no result. No bust ups so I was only prospecting. I tried a few ganged pillies on the big gear and plastics on the small gear but only a small ray for me. My wife hooked a nice Silver Trevally which fought well and she got a nice Tarwhine not long after. Not much else after that.

So all in all it was really good to get into it and cool to see a new species for us. I'll do better with more knowledge and time spent fishing the area. I've been doing my research and both this and the northern wall consistently produce cracker fish for those in the know. A true mixture of Northern and Southern species like Big Eye and Giant Trevally, Queenfish, Tarpon, Mangrove Jack, Estuary Cod, School and Spotty Mackerel and Cobia are around at certain times of the year along with species we're all more familiar with like Tailor, Salmon, Jew, Bream, Flathead and Kings. I plan to sort my boat out and get into some of these fish that I now have on my doorstep and post some better reports.

For these who are unsure, this is a Lesser or Double Spotted Queenfish. Apparently there are quite a few of these around the area to 70cm

post-32123-0-53244900-1445759737_thumb.jpg post-32123-0-09294400-1445759749_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

Great report . I was up there in may & did a charter outside, as we were heading out that spot was full of Luderick fishermen.... you might have to give that a go along the rock wall.....

I was up that way around a month or so ago and had some good success with bream and flatties in and around the river systems.

Next time I'm up I will drop you a message and maybe we could chuck a line out!

That sea wall looks good for a big GT at the right time of year.

I was up that way around a month or so ago and had some good success with bream and flatties in and around the river systems.

Next time I'm up I will drop you a message and maybe we could chuck a line out!

That sea wall looks good for a big GT at the right time of year.

Sounds like a plan mate. I'm always keen.