Has anyone tried fishing

Fab1

As the title says,has anyone fished say a paternoster rig with a bait on one hook and a plastic on the other using mono?

Or just use the plastic using mono?

I've been given these plastics but I'm not set up for them really.

Im well aware that you need light sensitive rods,braid,etc,etc which I do not have.

All we have are light glass rods matched to either 4000 or 2000 reels.

My son did catch that flathead at the shoalhaven on the drift using that gulp shrimp so I'm guessing it's possible to some degree but not ideal.

These are the plastics and jigs I was given.image.jpg

Thoughts?

Fabian. In answer to your first question...yes it is possible to fish sp AND bait on a double paternoster rig. I've done it with success in South Australia on Snapper. HOWEVER the sps which you have are for light gear fishing and as such would be impractical to use with a double paternoster rig because you would need heavy line capable of hauling in 2 decent fish at once. This of course would (most likely) prevent any hook ups at all. Hope that's clear for you. Just use the sps and bait on different gear. BN

7 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Fabian. In answer to your first question...yes it is possible to fish sp AND bait on a double paternoster rig. I've done it with success in South Australia on Snapper. HOWEVER the sps which you have are for light gear fishing and as such would be impractical to use with a double paternoster rig because you would need heavy line capable of hauling in 2 decent fish at once. This of course would (most likely) prevent any hook ups at all. Hope that's clear for you. Just use the sps and bait on different gear. BN

Next time I get out I'll try just the plastics alone then mate.

Thanks guys.

3 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Next time I get out I'll try just the plastics alone then mate.

Thanks guys.

Fabian mate. If you've not had much experience with sps have a look at a few Youtube vids on set up and techniques. They work remarkably well when you get used to them. Good luck buddy. BN

Hi mate i can only shed advice based on my experience drifting for flathead.

in relation to the double paternoster rig. I have fished with bait and plastics trgeting flathead and if your targeting flathead i dont think this will be a problem with the plastics u have in the foto, flathead are not picky by any means and you should be able to use a 30lb mono quite easily without scaring them off.

Cant say the same for other species as i havent fished for them that way.

My advice, no harm in trying ! 

I have successfully used 2 hook paternoster rig when fishing for flathead outside in 30 to 50 metres of water.

Best is to use an flat unkirbed hook for plastic to prevent twist and a plastic with it's own action such as a curl or paddle tail.

Ron

I've fished a patternoster style rig for snapper using an occy jig style lure as the 'sinker' and a 5 or 7 inch plastic above on a weedless hook using 20lb leader. I put the rod in the rod holder and let the swell do the work. It definitely works.

6 hours ago, cos said:

I've fished a patternoster style rig for snapper using an occy jig style lure as the 'sinker' and a 5 or 7 inch plastic above on a weedless hook using 20lb leader. I put the rod in the rod holder and let the swell do the work. It definitely works.

How would it go in low light periods. Even night fishing?

Fufu

A bit hard to tell in the photos, but the top left packet looks like prawns - flatties like those, and they are in a natural colour.

Below that are Squidgee paddletails, look like black and gold, also good for flatties.

Beside them are curly tail grubs, look similar to the Mr Twister style of years ago, also good for flatties.

As miix said, cut the worms up as 6 inches is too long for the small hook used with them (never caught much with them anyway)

The others a bit hard to see in the light shining off the packets.

Some of the soft plastic hooks for mounting the lures I find are a bit too thin and flexible, so when fishing for flatties, I buy a stronger hook made with thicker steel, and these are less likely to bend out of the fish's mouth.

Thanks guys,I've taken everything said on board and I'll try a few things next time I get out and see how it goes.

I suspected that you could use mono with them but of course not as well as having the proper rods and braid.

Cheers.

13 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Thanks guys,I've taken everything said on board and I'll try a few things next time I get out and see how it goes.

I suspected that you could use mono with them but of course not as well as having the proper rods and braid.

Cheers.

I don't use braid, always mono.

I don't think anyone has suggested this yet, but as a last resort, you could simply use the Gulp plastics and fish them as though they were bait.

They do work when left in the rod holder and fish do come up and have a go at them. I've rigged them up paternoster style and simply left in the rod holder and caught numerous tailor and small snapper this way although this is probably not the quality of fish you are after.