Just wondering what light braided lines everyone uses for their estuary fishing. I've been looking for a while now at some light braided lines for my Daiwa legalis 2000 as the braid I have on there at the moment doesn't have the best castability on it and I'm looking for something get it spooled up with on less windy days. I will be keeping the current braid on it though In case it's very windy and I don't want to be getting wind knots

Fireline tournament exceed for my light estuary stuff.  Nice and cheap enough that does the job with no complaints.  Can also cast it much further than the equivalent lb power pro lines (at least in 10lb comparisons).  Haven't found the need to try switching to the more expensive and exotic Jdm braids etc.  Been a happy camper since first trying braid in 2010 with fireline crystal in 8lb (still in use) 

Another good option is 8lb Sunline Super, its well behaved and ties a good knot.

Personally, I buy all my braid from overseas and find it hard to go past Duel Hardcore X8. Its seriously good stuff and pretty cheap, but unless you're buying a few spools, shipping would probably be a killer.

I started out using Fireline in 4 & 6lb for light SP and lure fishing, and was pretty happy with it.

After a season or two, I thought i'd try something a bit more expensive, hoping it would be better.

I tried Daiwa TD Sensor, Sunline Super PE, but have found myself going back to Fireline.

I currently use 4lb Fireline, and 5.5lb Fireline Exceed.

Like myself, I'm sure everyone will have their own opinions, but I like Fireline for its stiffness and ease of use.

I've found the higher end braids are too supple for light SP fishing.

Fireline standard or Exceed is much stiffer, which helps a lot imo.

For anything over 8-10lb, I'm sure the suppleness isn't as much of an issue, and the higher end braids would probably be better.

Edited by foolforjesus

Ok I have 2  1 to 3 kg rods with stradic ci4+1000 reels on them,  Sunline 4 lb super PE , and an FG knot.  PERFECT.  I use 4 lb fluro leader, BUT often I target Flathead on it, when I do I tie about 25 c/m of 12 lb on the end as a " bite Leader "                             Howard.

Edited by bluefin

On 1/31/2017 at 6:01 PM, lachie1325 said:

Just wondering what light braided lines everyone uses for their estuary fishing. I've been looking for a while now at some light braided lines for my Daiwa legalis 2000 as the braid I have on there at the moment doesn't have the best castability on it and I'm looking for something get it spooled up with on less windy days. I will be keeping the current braid on it though In case it's very windy and I don't want to be getting wind knots

wind doesn't cause wind knots. its loose packed line being peeled off early

Over spooled line is the number 1 cause. Or more to the point, taking some line off a spool which is causing problems always fixes it.

On a cast, you need the slight resistance of the spool lip to keep the line coming off too loosely and going out of control. Too much line on the spool and you don't get enough resistance.

Personally like fire line for the light stuff after trying al sorts of braid from cheap to very expensive. Main thing used for is surface lures for whiting, after every dozen or so casts, just cast and reel in with the line between your fingers under pressure and no "wind Knots" happen, forget to do it and they will. When finished, remove lure, let out line and walk back over flats then reel in under pressure. No problems. Loose line on spool (and too much) causes wind knots, not the wind in my opinion at at  least.