Flattie

arthur06

Hey guys, I just realised a few days ago that I had never landed a flathead before. :byebye:. In my short fishing career, I have only caught bream, tailor, leatherjacket and a few others. I feel as if I cannot accomplish myself as a fisherman if I don't catch one soon. I have appropriate tackle, so basically all the gear and no idea. All I am asking for is locations (not secret spots just general) bait or lures and methods land based.

Thanks

It's just about location arthur. Flatties are very widespread and reasonably easy to catch in the right place. Land based you need to be fishing areas where the water goes from shallow to deep (drop offs) and present your bait ON THE BOTTOM. Alternatively soft plastics are a very good option as you can cover a lot of area in a short amount of time. Just make sure that the plastic is in contact with the bottom frequently. You can slow retrieve across the bottom or lift and wind. You will also have a good chance of catching other species with plastics, too. Give it a go and move around a bit. You'll catch some. Cheers, BN

11 hours ago, big Neil said:

It's just about location arthur. Flatties are very widespread and reasonably easy to catch in the right place. Land based you need to be fishing areas where the water goes from shallow to deep (drop offs) and present your bait ON THE BOTTOM. Alternatively soft plastics are a very good option as you can cover a lot of area in a short amount of time. Just make sure that the plastic is in contact with the bottom frequently. You can slow retrieve across the bottom or lift and wind. You will also have a good chance of catching other species with plastics, too. Give it a go and move around a bit. You'll catch some. Cheers, BN

Thanks Neil, needed that

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Where abouts are you located? You might find someone on the forum who's able to give you a hand.

I am around Chatswood but can drive around