Outboard Steering Seized

nc3710

Hi guys was wondering if you could give me some advice on an outboard I have bought.

So the other day I bought a 30HP Mariner Long Shaft and the turning mechanism that attaches to the boat and turns the motor (Sorry I'm not quite sure what its called, But i have included a photo showing which part of the outboard i am referring too) is seized and will not turn. This happens when trying to tilt the motor up and turn the outboard left to right. So I was hoping to get some tips on how to get it moving again.

outboard (example).JPG

If your reffering to the steering shaft. I had this issue as well. I had a mobile marine mechanic come out and with magic he got it free. Said to get a can of silicon and every week or so spray on the shaft and turn the motor to lubricate.

Apparantly was caused by the grease hardening as well as the shaft getting some corrosion. Simple fix was to keep it lubricated as I did not want to overhaul or get a new shaft as was dreaming of a new motor.

Thankfully the old motor is gone now and my dreams came true.

I was told you had to be careful as easy to damage if you rip, shit and bust. Need to know what your doing. 

Are u referring to the stearing cable or the actual motor ??

If the latter that's very unusual for both the horizontal & vertical piviot points to cease up , especially when the motor looks in very good condition 

On 17/07/2017 at 7:01 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

look for grease nipple and pump some into it often while turning motor...should be halfway up on other side of foto..rick

If it will move a little bit then this is the go. If you don't use marine grease some others can go hard over time. 

Silicon will lube but not penetrate really well. Something like inox that is a degrease/penetrate will get in and loosen up the mech better in my opinion. Once free keep the marine grease up to it.

if you have no luck jump in head first. Take lots of photos and pull it apart. 

Good luck!

Edited by Flickn Mad
Typo

useally stearing month is october,when boats have sat for winter.i agree with mechanic grease goes hard in steering tube silcone spray the best but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and buy a new cable

On 17 July 2017 at 0:17 PM, recurve said:

If your reffering to the steering shaft. I had this issue as well. I had a mobile marine mechanic come out and with magic he got it free. Said to get a can of silicon and every week or so spray on the shaft and turn the motor to lubricate.

Apparantly was caused by the grease hardening as well as the shaft getting some corrosion. Simple fix was to keep it lubricated as I did not want to overhaul or get a new shaft as was dreaming of a new motor.

Thankfully the old motor is gone now and my dreams came true.

I was told you had to be careful as easy to damage if you rip, shit and bust. Need to know what your doing. 

He's referring to the swivel hub as there's no steering cable fitted.

On 19 July 2017 at 1:39 PM, Geoff said:

Are u referring to the stearing cable or the actual motor ??

If the latter that's very unusual for both the horizontal & vertical piviot points to cease up , especially when the motor looks in very good condition 

There's usually nylon bushes in the tilt tube and swivel hub that can wear and break but I doubt it's the case hear as that outboard looks like it's in resonable nick.

2 hours ago, dunc333 said:

useally stearing month is october,when boats have sat for winter.i agree with mechanic grease goes hard in steering tube silcone spray the best but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and buy a new cable

If people maintained there cables  and boats like they should there would be no need 99% of the time.The biggest cause of cable failure I've seen is when the outboard end is frozen and the owner forces the wheel to get the motor to turn stripping teeth in the helm or/and buggering up the cable.

Always store your outboard with the steering rod retracted and periodically give the outboard a few turns to port and starboard.Give all grease points a few squirts with the grease gun twice a year to prevent this happening to you.

They're my tips.

2 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

White lithium grease is the go (you can buy it in spray cans). I think you will find that is the only lubricant Teleflex recommend.

Automatic transmission fluid is my first choice before the lithium grease.This is the lithium grease that will do the job.image.jpgI'd be interested to hear from the Op with what the diagnosis was.

Cheers.

image.jpg