NT Trip - Finniss River

DaveTheBoy

Some pictures of a wonderful trip with my brother up to the territory.  I could write pages here, but I won't.

Fishing in & around the Finniss River was spectacular, just great scenery/country to be amongst - so much wildlife and beauty in this country, we need to respect it.

Caught some great barra which was our aim, along with some other species such as cod, trevally, catfish and mackerel.  Despite what TV show may depict, the fish certainly did not just "jump into the boat" up there, we really had to work for our fish, landing probably an average of 4 barra per day.

I must say whilst a very special fish to catch, the barra didn't give the sustained fight I had imagined.  It was all blistering in the very beginning - but I felt once you turned their head & dealt with any jumping, you had the fish properly 'beaten'.  From there it was more just a case of dealing with the weight of the fish & navigating around snags etc.

Once I find out how to load video I will try to do so, we have some wonderful film capturing wildlife, scenery & fishing.

Most fish were caught slowly trolling - and by far the most productive lures for us were Rapala Xrap and Classic Barra 97 in gold colour, we used them almost exclusively.  In addition I think one of the biggest fish pictured was caught on a killalure barra bait, which somebody at the campsite had given to us as they were departing.

I'm back in reality (Newcastle) now & will have some small windows of fishing time in the coming weeks. I am keen to get into the winter whiting & salmon that should be around - if anyone has the inside scoop please drop me a line!

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0484 (2).JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

13 hours ago, blaxland said:

Do you get to eat the fish up there or is catch and release

We ate a one or two up there, even deep froze a couple & shipped back home (note - absolutely not worth the $$ or hassle to pack & ship, this was a special request for our dad). The vast majority were released.

Awesome trip mate, the grass is always greener on the other side! 

I would have to agree about the Barra fight, Ive caught up to a metre long barra on 1-3kg bream rods with 8lb line and other than the first run I just had to be careful with their weight. 

Question for you though, they don't look like the king threadfin Im used to (forgive my ignorance), what sort of threadies are they? 

Oh and the Salmon are on at the Swansea channel, not many around off the beaches this season though ?

Edited by Adsy91
Left something out

2 hours ago, Adsy91 said:

Awesome trip mate, the grass is always greener on the other side! 

I would have to agree about the Barra fight, Ive caught up to a metre long barra on 1-3kg bream rods with 8lb line and other than the first run I just had to be careful with their weight. 

Question for you though, they don't look like the king threadfin Im used to (forgive my ignorance), what sort of threadies are they? 

Oh and the Salmon are on at the Swansea channel, not many around off the beaches this season though ?

Cheers mate - I'm unsure of the exact species, perhaps somebody else knows?  They were just called 'salmon' on our trip!

I tried a few times over the weekend at Swansea for donuts!  I don't doubt the salmon are about (saw a few jumping) - the challenge is getting them on the line!!

The ones you caught are Blue Salmon (Most common name) but also called Blue Threadfin. Eleutheronema tetradactylum.

They go like the clappers, but don't grow as big as "King" Salmon. I have heard of some getting up to the metre mark, but the biggest I've seen are in the high 70's cm.

Eating wise, I recon they aren't as good as King Salmon, but still pretty good. Quite soft flesh.