season starting to warm up

Krispy !

hey raiders,

I headed out yesterday morning to fish one of my regular haunts in the harbour, no bait but the plan was to get a few squid and if they weren't around, just flick a few lures and see what's about. luckily there was a few around and in a short time I had 5 lollipop arrow squid. At sunrise sent a squid out and then it was time to wait.. first squid got its head picked off which was annoying but whilst I was retrieving it I saw a big green torpedo with a big yellowtail turn away right at my feet, quickly pinned another live squid and casted out, keeping the reel in free spool, 20 seconds later the line started to peel off, gave it a few metres and tightened up. straight away I knew this wasn't your average 60-80cm king as it took off like a missile and didn't look like stopping but eventually it slowed down and I started to gain on it, for the next five or so minutes it would come in abit closer, then rip me back out deep, eventually it started to give in and came in close, but as usual with kingfish they never give up and it had a few really close calls in trying to get me around a pylon but managed to steer it clear each time, finally managed to get it on the surface and since I was solo with no net, I had to walk it around to where I was able to reach down and grab it. To say I was stoked was an understatement, on the brag mat it was just budging 95cm and easily 7-8kg,

Untitled.jpg

Probably one of my most memorable catches land based especially on 20lb leader and with all the structure around me. Took me a while to compose myself after that but eventually got myself back fishing. Not long after I hooked a decent trevally on my lighter outfit on a squid strip which gave me a huge struggle around the pylons but eventually landed it, going just under 55cm. Sent it back as I already had the king.

Untitled2.jpg

About 5 minutes after that another squid got slammed and I was hooked up to another king, which was fighting very similar to the first which had me thinking I had another 90+ king, eventually managed to tire this one out as well and got it to the surface, easily 80-85cm when the hooks pulled. Normally I would be fuming but I was kind of relieved, I was going to release it anyway and landing it would have been another mission in itself. Ran out of squid and was out of there at 9am, best session I've had in a few months. Looks like its going to be a good season

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

sounds like a good session...nice kingie on light leader..congrats..rick

Thanks rick!!

3 hours ago, marks1984 said:

Sweet as mate the trevally would have pulled like crazy

Yeah mate the trev went off its head

3 hours ago, Burnsey said:

Great session Krispy!  On any other day the trevally alone would have made your day.

Thanks Burnsey, yeah that trevally was around 2kg definitely would have made my day

42 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice one Krispy! How's your arms feeling? Certainly a fair effort on silly string! Well done :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks scratchie, my arms were aching after the fight hahaha

1 hour ago, Hateanchors said:

Nice King mate. On 20lb and land based near structure, good job ??

Thanks Hateanchors :)

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Mate you truely are the kingie whisperer

great effort as always

Thanks GoingFishing :)

42 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Now Im inspired thanks for the report will be out in the dark tomorrow

Hopefully you get into them

25 minutes ago, gundi4 said:

Awesome stuff especially on light gear ?

Thanks gundi :)

17 hours ago, Soulman said:

Awesome report Krispy...

Thanks Soulman :)

13 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

crackin stuff mate

Cheers dirvin :)

12 hours ago, Fishing_Maniac said:

Well done mate squid is really a top bait in the harbour 

Thanks mate it is a top bait

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good onya Krispy. Felt as if I were there with you when reading your account of the battle. Something I hope to do one day, catch a decent Kingie. Cheers, bn

Thanks big Neil hopefully you get into them

6 hours ago, kiwibrown said:

Great report Krispy, looking forward to this summer season

Thanks kiwibrown, season looks to be starting early

3 hours ago, BIGG DADDA TREVS said:

crackin trev mate. Must ave pulled like the clappers. Nice report mate.

Thanks mate, that trev went crazy fought very hard

1 hour ago, beginner said:

Well done, sounds like a story that will never get old!! great effort on light gear to land such a quality fish that a lot of boatie anglers dream off well done to you!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Thanks Nathan, definitely a catch i wont forget anytime soon

On 10/20/2017 at 5:21 PM, Regan said:

looks like you had an awesome sesh

great stuff

Cheers Regan!

On 10/20/2017 at 6:45 PM, blaxland said:

Because of the rain didnt put the tinnie in just threw some lures from the shore at the spit bugger me king swims past 3 metres from my feet swear he was laughing!

Thats a shame mate the kings do that a fair bit

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work Krispy. Both good fish, and both fight hard but in different styles.

Thanks yowie, they both went very hard