Port Stephens- New Year

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Decided to forego a hangover today and start the year off with an early morning fish! 

Hit the usual spots but the water was cold, dirty, big tides and full moon aren’t a good combination for snapper! Thought we’d give it a go anyway! Beautiful morning although it was so nice there was no drift at all :( I managed one snaps on sps before we thought we’d change tact and go find some kings. 

It took a while to find them too but I managed to get the nephew onto 2 legals just under 70 before we pulled the pin and headed for Home! 

A nice start to the year and all the best to you raiders this year! 

Cheers scratchie!!! ED67682B-94EC-4AD5-B748-F3D79177B6CD.thumb.jpeg.2f1d9f8022cbc1f073add63b8e3ea1ea.jpeg8DE9A986-EECC-44C5-B2C3-A278F5872EF6.thumb.jpeg.868e5c3377ef094ea215ffc58d6936fa.jpeg

• Like 6

Great work, Jeff. I spent the day in Sydney today and just got home. Was hoping to go to Broughton tomorrow but I’m so tired I think I’ll have a sleep in and then take the Chrissy decorations and mow the lawn for the first time for the year! My next day off is Thursday but, of course, the seas won’t be as kind on Thursday, will they?!

14 hours ago, Sigma said:

Well done Scratchie.

Couple of nice Kings any size is better than any hangover! :thumbup:

Cheers. Yep, beats a headache! 

12 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Happy new year mate !

you still managed to connect with some good fish as always, that sunrise ?

Thanks Sam. Sunrise and the only boat for miles! :) 

12 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Nice one! Great way to start 2018. 

Thanks. 

12 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

top sunrise shot jeff..unlucky on the reds mate..was tryin to go broughton tmrw but have no tow vehicle for a coupla days...happy new year to you and yours..rick

Cheers rick! Happy NY to you too! We’ll meet up sometime this year! 

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work Scratchie. Better to be scratching the scales off fish than scratching your a#se instead. :lol:

Haha ? thanks yowie! 

11 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great work, Jeff. I spent the day in Sydney today and just got home. Was hoping to go to Broughton tomorrow but I’m so tired I think I’ll have a sleep in and then take the Chrissy decorations and mow the lawn for the first time for the year! My next day off is Thursday but, of course, the seas won’t be as kind on Thursday, will they?!

Cheers Baz 

9 hours ago, Rah said:

A great way to start the new year!! 

It sure was! 

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Up and at em Jeff. Early success for the new year...keep it up. I never have seen any value in hangovers, much better going fishing and enjoying it. Cheers buddy, bn

Thanks BN. It was a good decision. I’ve also decided to try giving up cigarettes. This was the first fishing trip ever that I didn’t smoke! 

Bigger and better things this year! 

I think you made a wise call there Scratchie. While you were out enjoying the waterways and catching some nice fish, I was at home nursing a nasty headache. I'm still a bit dusty now, first day back at work! A great shot of the sunrise, too.

Cheers,

Wellzy

9 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

I think you made a wise call there Scratchie. While you were out enjoying the waterways and catching some nice fish, I was at home nursing a nasty headache. I'm still a bit dusty now, first day back at work! A great shot of the sunrise, too.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Haha. I’ve had my fair share! I’ve only had one day off in the last two weeks. The weather was too good to pass up! 

All the best for the year ahead! 

Hey Jeff,

i did the same, but solo.. woke up at 4am and knew I’d be pissed at myself if I didn’t get out there. I went all the way up to Seal Rocks hoping for some better water, alas 19-20 deg and green! 

I got a 36cm snapper only. Had the entire place to myself up there. Not another boat seen till I got back down to Broughton. 

Better than a sleep in. 

Happy new year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hey jeff  were there any slimies at the island mate...tryin to gee up a trip tmrw arvo into fri morn...rick

Yes mate, they were everywhere sunning themselves as there was nothing there to eat them! :( 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spearer1 said:

Hey Jeff,

i did the same, but solo.. woke up at 4am and knew I’d be pissed at myself if I didn’t get out there. I went all the way up to Seal Rocks hoping for some better water, alas 19-20 deg and green! 

I got a 36cm snapper only. Had the entire place to myself up there. Not another boat seen till I got back down to Broughton. 

Better than a sleep in. 

Happy new year. 

Thanks for the feedback! Glad I didn’t venture up that far! It was very quiet out there both boats and fish were missing! 

On 1/2/2018 at 8:59 AM, Scratchie said:

Cheers. Yep, beats a headache! 

Thanks Sam. Sunrise and the only boat for miles! :) 

Thanks. 

Cheers rick! Happy NY to you too! We’ll meet up sometime this year! 

Haha ? thanks yowie! 

Cheers Baz 

It sure was! 

Thanks BN. It was a good decision. I’ve also decided to try giving up cigarettes. This was the first fishing trip ever that I didn’t smoke! 

Bigger and better things this year! 

Hope you can stay off them Jeff. You'll live longer and be able to go fishing longer. That's enough reason, eh?

bn

57 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Hope you can stay off them Jeff. You'll live longer and be able to go fishing longer. That's enough reason, eh?

bn

How quick time flys! It been 4 days now and every hour I feel like one but I keep reminding myself that every month I save the cost of a Stella! 

Thanks for your support BN and btw the kingfish was exquisite! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

How quick time flys! It been 4 days now and every hour I feel like one but I keep reminding myself that every month I save the cost of a Stella! 

Thanks for your support BN and btw the kingfish was exquisite! 

Good on ya mate keep it up.

geez spending that much, did you breathe oxygen in Between? Wouldn’t of been time for that by sound of it lol.

they are ridiculously expensive now hey!