Mixed bag off Swansea 20/01/18

tomcat8819

Went out with two mates to do some bottom bouncing. ran into some big bait Balls busting up on way out to check out the inner reefs. I only had a big overhead combo and my little trout set up (gen back 5'6 1-2kg spotted wiggled + gen black 2000 4pd mainline) so threw on a little 10gm slug and casted it out into the boil and immediately began to be smoked. I surprisingly turned its head after a massive deep run and got some line back before being smoked again haha this went on for a while before slowly managing to wear it out, about ten minutes later had a fat 49 cm Mac tuna boat side. 

The boys pulled in a nice bonito each which both put up a good fight on slightly heavier spinning gear and I got a legal tailor and dropped a big yakka next to the boat.

We Followed the bustups around for awhile longer but they started getting spooky and more timid so we went to find a good spot to bottom bash. 

Not much action for half hour before my mates rod buckles over and strips line. Good fight and plenty of head shakes later he pulls up a 98cm gummy. 

fun morning sesh with plenty of meat for a bbq and some decent bait (Mac tuna) that will hopefully be converted into a some flathead/jew 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by tomcat8819
  • Like 1

First time I've had it but can confirm it is delicious! Grilled half in nice sized fillets on bbq after marinating them and beer battered the other half. They are boneless apart from their spinal column  so you get a large amount of flesh of them. 

First gummy I've seen landed. Although I think they are fairly prominent along the east coast, especially the southern parts 

Edited by tomcat8819

Had never caught/eaten bonito  and had heard mixed reports. After filleting them it was obvious they would go alright. It's flesh was very pinkish white and ended up tasting amazing sashimi dipped in a Thai style fish sauce.  

Edited by tomcat8819

mate ive fished out of Swansea for over 40yrs an never seen a gummy with those spots ever   well done  I believe they are more prolific down south so maybe the cold water being sucked up the coast is bringing them...good to see some more reports from our area..rick