broughton island

rickmarlin62

I spend a lot of my fishing time up at broughton isl..im amazed at how many people I see in nice lookin boats with lots of rods bristling out the sides but fishing in areas we call [no mans land ]...generally shallow shitty bottom where ther aren't much fish to offer..i spent many years spearing round the island..there isn't many spots round the island up to 80ft deep where I havnt been swimming at some stage..there is heaps of reef all round the island  ..but..some of it holds fish/some of it doesn't.....I seeblokes fishing in areas wher I wouldn't even bother stopping..i know a lot of people just go we are here lets stop an try here..if any of you raiders wanna fish broughton and don't want to waste your time fishing dead zones..pm me and I can give you general areas to try..much better than just pulling up anywhere an hoping..i seen guys in 7.0mtr $100 k boats on the weekend fishing in places where you cant even get bait let alone an eating fish..i scratch my head an drive off just because you have the best boat n best electrics doesn't mean it shows you where there are fish...if you are spending the time n money to go to a place like this ask for some pointrs there are heaps of good fishos on this site that have local knowledge and can help point you in the right direction...good luck for the rest of the year   ..rick

• Like 2

I will take you up on that, Rick. On Friday, I did fish where I fished with Scratchie a while back but I couldn’t get the same drift and I didn’t want to get too close to the bommies in that swell. I guess that’s where different tactics and spots come into play. So I went exploring.... I hadn’t been through to the north before, which was nice. I guess, living here, I have the luxury of time to explore but it would be nice if I could bag out occasionally to appease the missus! ?

15 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I spend a lot of my fishing time up at broughton isl..im amazed at how many people I see in nice lookin boats with lots of rods bristling out the sides but fishing in areas we call [no mans land ]...generally shallow shitty bottom where ther aren't much fish to offer..i spent many years spearing round the island..there isn't many spots round the island up to 80ft deep where I havnt been swimming at some stage..there is heaps of reef all round the island  ..but..some of it holds fish/some of it doesn't.....I seeblokes fishing in areas wher I wouldn't even bother stopping..i know a lot of people just go we are here lets stop an try here..if any of you raiders wanna fish broughton and don't want to waste your time fishing dead zones..pm me and I can give you general areas to try..much better than just pulling up anywhere an hoping..i seen guys in 7.0mtr $100 k boats on the weekend fishing in places where you cant even get bait let alone an eating fish..i scratch my head an drive off just because you have the best boat n best electrics doesn't mean it shows you where there are fish...if you are spending the time n money to go to a place like this ask for some pointrs there are heaps of good fishos on this site that have local knowledge and can help point you in the right direction...good luck for the rest of the year   ..rick

Hi Rick

I will definitely take you up on your offer and message you.

I went off Swansea last week and got some undersized dollies at the FAD and got stuck into some nanngai. Got a few jigging in 100m so quiet happy.

Off to work for a couple of weeks and next time back planning on heading to broughton, bit of sp and trolling, maybe light weight baits

Cheers

I’m in whenever anyone wants to organise something!

Maybe we could organise a few crews for the upcoming trailerboat tournament???

Tony Poole the owner of this tournament usually advertises with this site! 

Let’s see if we can get something going! March is the best time of year to fish up here! 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I’ve got 3 weeks leave in March! (Which means the missus has about 2 1/2 weeks worth of jobs for me to do! ??). Which weekend is the tournament?

Oh baz!! Put ya foot down! Tournament 23-25th March 

• Like 2

Hi Rick,

Good to see some people are still willing to help. I will definitely take you up on the offer.

We use to go to Port Stephens for about 8yrs straight around XMAS/New Year and got donuts every time.

Unfortunately, everyone I knew didn't want to share their knowledge and were very tight lipped.

Lol, I was probably one of those that fished no mans land but I don't have a $100K rig. 

4 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

let me know when your back we might be able to organize a few boats...make a day out of it..rick

Sounds good, I normally go out by myself so would be good to pick up some good tips and have a chat. I'm normally away for 2 weeks at a time, but I'll be keen when I'm home, that's if the missus let's me, ha ha

5 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

know it well built heaps of fences in there..haha  that's what stops me from fishing more..that four letter word..work...

Where are you at mate, down lake mac way?

5 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

know it well built heaps of fences in there..haha  that's what stops me from fishing more..that four letter word..work...

Takes me about the same time to get to the bay or lake mac, haven't tried off Newcastle for years. The missus has put an order in for some muddies so that's on the cards for next trip

im at gorokan...im in fishing club at summerland pt sporties club..id rather spend hour an half to tow boat to bay than fish the desert out of Swansea..we had some good muddies at our weighin on sunday  boys are scooping them spotlighting west side of lake...rick

On 22/01/2018 at 5:04 PM, Scratchie said:

Let’s see if we can get something going! March is the best time of year to fish up here! 

I'm in if any room on your boats boys , I will leave the family at home Jeff that weekend and if anyone needs a plus 1 for the comp I'm keen. Well run comp but yes Rick seen a few dodgy brothers there! 

On 22/01/2018 at 5:04 PM, Scratchie said:

@Scratchie get on this now let’s start advertising this now!!!

would be great to get some Fishraider’s entering

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 2:25 PM, PST115hp said:

Hi Rick,

Good see that there are still a few good guy's around willing to share their years of knowledge.

Cheers 

For sure and Rick has more knowledge than most anglers. Probably fair to say that he's been there, done that. bn

well hopefully in the near future we will try and have an outing up there for others to join in..we can have a meet and give some advice and areas an tecniques to help others that are snapper challenged..haha...there is a lot more than just reds to chase as well...the trailerboat comp might be interesting..will see if I can swing it to fish..rick

• Like 1