PB Dolly

Jewhunter

Hi Raiders.

Just a quick report. Headed down to Evans Head for the long weekend. We had a big crowd in a hired house of 4 adults & 7 kids. Friday arvo we hit the beach for some pipis & a total of 5 rays. My mate took his Tabs tinny down & Saturday was the pick of the days to head offshore at sun up. Unfortunately his sounder packed it in & we couldn't pick up any bottom structure. The gps was still working, so we dropped as close to the marks we had & burleyed hard. Scored a few squire to 40cm & then jigged up some yakkas. Moved to another mark in 30m of water & I tossed the livie out on 30lb braid. As I was free spooling it down line started ripping off the reel. Set the hook & after an epic fight nailed my pb dolly. Fought it right out, so managed a few pics while it still had colour. Home by 1pm, cleaned the fish & then hit the beach in the 4wd's again & fished a nice gutter for a bag of dart. My young fella was stoked to score his 1st fish off the beach & we had a massive feed of crab, calamari & dolly that night. Action packed 48hrs. It felt like we were away for a week! Pic attached.

Cheers, Grant.

7C2BF7CA-7663-4E73-9E7E-A464F49E18F9.jpeg

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
  • Like 9

Too right mate. It turned out an awesome w/end! It's actually a cow & one of the biggest I've seen. On a snapper rod & 30lb braid it went nuts & pulled alot of string. I also learned an interesting fact about dollies. If you take the biggest bull out of a school then the biggest cow turns itself into a male. I never knew that. You learn something new every day.

Edited by Jewhunter

55 minutes ago, Jewhunter said:

Hi Raiders.

Just a quick report. Headed down to Evans Head for the long weekend. We had a big crowd in a hired house of 4 adults & 7 kids. Friday arvo we hit the beach for some pipis & a total of 5 rays. My mate took his Tabs tinny down & Saturday was the pick of the days to head offshore at sun up. Unfortunately his sounder packed it in & we couldn't pick up any bottom structure. The gps was still working, so we dropped as close to the marks we had & burleyed hard. Scored a few squire to 40cm & then jigged up some yakkas. Moved to another mark in 30m of water & I tossed the livie out on 30lb braid. As I was free spooling it down line started ripping off the reel. Set the hook & after an epic fight nailed my pb dolly. Fought it right out, so managed a few pics while it still had colour. Home by 1pm, cleaned the fish & then hit the beach in the 4wd's again & fished a nice gutter for a bag of dart. My young fella was stoked to score his 1st fish off the beach & we had a massive feed of crab, calamari & dolly that night. Action packed 48hrs. It felt like we were away for a week! Pic attached.

Cheers, Grant.

Dolly.pdf

Smashing the cod smashing the dollies... Well done Jewhunter did you weigh and measure it? 

Just now, mrsswordfisherman said:

Yeah remember the big feed we had at Port Stephens. How many did we catch!!

I lost count!! I know that 4 of us bagged out, & that was before the new bag limits, so a bloody lot. I think we ate dollies 5 different ways.

10 hours ago, Jewhunter said:

Too right mate. It turned out an awesome w/end! It's actually a cow & one of the biggest I've seen. On a snapper rod & 30lb braid it went nuts & pulled alot of string. I also learned an interesting fact about dollies. If you take the biggest bull out of a school then the biggest cow turns itself into a male. I never knew that. You learn something new every day.

Whooops. Thanks for the heads up.  How do you tell the difference between a bull and a cow then. Cheers R&B

• 1 month later...