After some Leatherjacket tips

notoriousTASH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips guys. Went out for a fish in Lapa the other morning and managed to catch a leather jacket though I was not targeting it. I wasn't even using the recommendations lol. I've been told prawns on a small hook. Got this one on a paternoster rig with a running sinker and a larger sized circle hook lol don't know how I managed that but gran is happy 

20180211_080542.jpg

7 minutes ago, notoriousTASH said:

Thanks for the tips guys. Went out for a fish in Lapa the other morning and managed to catch a leather jacket though I was not targeting it. I wasn't even using the recommendations lol. I've been told prawns on a small hook. Got this one on a paternoster rig with a running sinker and a larger sized circle hook lol don't know how I managed that but gran is happy 

20180211_080542.jpg

That should keep Granma happy for a bit Tash. You're gunna have to get more now she knows you can. Good luck, bn

BTW - if using prawns then peel them and use small segments. Leatherjackets are very good at sucking out the meat and leaving the skin if you use a whole prawn. I like using small enough pieces so they can get them into their mouths in one shot.

Small squid pieces on a small hook are better.

Size 10 or 8 longshank hooks, squid strips 5 or 6 mm wide and 10 to 12 mm long.

Sometimes just moving the bait slightly up and down can help with a hook up. When about in numbers, the jackets will quickly swim to the bait and try to scoff it down before the others get to it. When only one or 2 about, they will be a bit more cautious in eating your bait, especially the larger fantail jackets.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Small squid pieces on a small hook are better.

Size 10 or 8 longshank hooks, squid strips 5 or 6 mm wide and 10 to 12 mm long.

Sometimes just moving the bait slightly up and down can help with a hook up. When about in numbers, the jackets will quickly swim to the bait and try to scoff it down before the others get to it. When only one or 2 about, they will be a bit more cautious in eating your bait, especially the larger fantail jackets.

I grew up in the Harbour catching Jackets. Segments of prawns are the best bait. You are often baited but get more bites & fish. Squid only works sometimes. A mix of small pieces of both works well.

I'll p.m you some of my fave old spots Tash if you want? Absolutely guaranteed to get a bucket load of nice leatheries, & all on a handline. 2 x size 10 longshanks on a dropper rig with the sinker on the bottom is the way to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/02/2018 at 8:37 AM, DerekD said:

BTW - if using prawns then peel them and use small segments. Leatherjackets are very good at sucking out the meat and leaving the skin if you use a whole prawn. I like using small enough pieces so they can get them into their mouths in one shot.

I caught this sucker on a strip of squid!!

19 hours ago, Jewhunter said:

I grew up in the Harbour catching Jackets. Segments of prawns are the best bait. You are often baited but get more bites & fish. Squid only works sometimes. A mix of small pieces of both works well.

I'll p.m you some of my fave old spots Tash if you want? Absolutely guaranteed to get a bucket load of nice leatheries, & all on a handline. 2 x size 10 longshanks on a dropper rig with the sinker on the bottom is the way to go.

That would be great thanks re: spots

should you use some thick line? Whats the secret to not get your rig/line chewed off by these species?

In relation to the south side of spit bridge... are they near structure or would they be anywhere in the water?

and should you hit the bottom or midway?

Using a handline you can feel the subtle bites & set the hook. You have to strike. I only use 10lb/12lb mono. With longshank hooks you very rarely get bitten off. 2 x size 10 longshanks on a dropper above a sinker fished on the bottom. Always around structure. Wharves, bridge pylons etc. Great fun to catch & delicious eating.

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Gee these leatherjackets sound more like Piranhas than lovely fish that are fun to catch. Just be careful you don't fall in Tash. Cheers, bn

Hi Neil,

I've heard them referred to as Sydney Piranhas. There is a video floating around on Youtube showing a school of Chinaman leatherjacket destroying an octopus at Jervis bay. Google leatherjacket and octopus to find it.

Or here is the link:

A bit of an eye opener.

D.

Up here in Port Stephens, my son gets them off the break wall down the end of the street. A small long shank hook, about size 6 or 8, a short length of red tube like you’d use for whiting and a small split shot and little pieces of cooked prawn (although I find green prawn works OK too). The first of the run out seems best. A surprise by catch by my wife while fishing before sunrise in winter was a 50cm+ luderick which wriggled its way back into the water from her feet!

Edited by Berleyguts

9 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Neil,

I've heard them referred to as Sydney Piranhas. There is a video floating around on Youtube showing a school of Chinaman leatherjacket destroying an octopus at Jervis bay. Google leatherjacket and octopus to find it.

Or here is the link:

A bit of an eye opener.

D.

VERY interesting Derek. Thanks for posting that. I really have little idea what goes on beneath the salt water waves. Cheers, bn

The ones in the video are the ones in the harbour that took all my tackle and have a bad rep. But while google

HANDY HINTS AND TIPS
Try rubbing a couple of drops of aniseed oil on your hands before commencing fishing, this will encourage shy fish to actively feed and is considered to be illegal in some countries due to its efficiency for attracting fish. Always fish as light as possible for leatherjacket this includes sinkers, lines and leaders. Long shank hooks will help to prevent bite offs and are much easier to remove!includes sinkers, lines and leaders. Long shank hooks will help to prevent bite offs and are much easier to remove!
Edited by blaxland