Port Stephens Report

Berleyguts

Sorry I couldn’t make it Baz! At least you got out and put the effort in. Even on those donut days you still learn something. If you sit back and reflect on the things you tried, could have tried and didn’t. Might just be the difference next time or it might just be the case that shit happens! Next time Baz! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

I thought I was going to have a great day. Caught a dozen yakkas in no time...I have struggled to get them on the last few trips so thought it was a good omen. Got no action at the kingfish pens and didn’t see any of the other boats getting anything. Tried trolling the V and then from the V to Gunsight. A couple of game boats at the V but they didn’t seem to be getting any action either. I wanted to have a flathead drift but it was already getting sloppy and so trolling was more comfortable. Then went to my standby, trolling for bonnies at Boondelbah Is and for the first time ever, I think, I couldn’t catch a Bonnie. Trolled twice around the island and 4 passes up the western side. I always get them there! Drove back into Port in driving rain that stung the eyes. Oh well, that’s fishing!

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

Unlucky mate, but that is me every trip usually. Can't believe you didn't get any at the pens, Scratchie said too many Sharks around there at the moment... You spot any today? 

Nope. Didn’t spot anything. It was strange.

9 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I thought I was going to have a great day. Caught a dozen yakkas in no time...I have struggled to get them on the last few trips so thought it was a good omen. Got no action at the kingfish pens and didn’t see any of the other boats getting anything. Tried trolling the V and then from the V to Gunsight. A couple of game boats at the V but they didn’t seem to be getting any action either. I wanted to have a flathead drift but it was already getting sloppy and so trolling was more comfortable. Then went to my standby, trolling for bonnies at Boondelbah Is and for the first time ever, I think, I couldn’t catch a Bonnie. Trolled twice around the island and 4 passes up the western side. I always get them there! Drove back into Port in driving rain that stung the eyes. Oh well, that’s fishing!

Know what Baz. The more bad days fishing that we have, the sweeter the good days are. Being the dedicated and determined people that anglers are, we always come good with persistence. Better luck for next time mate, bn

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Know what Baz. The more bad days fishing that we have, the sweeter the good days are. Being the dedicated and determined people that anglers are, we always come good with persistence. Better luck for next time mate, bn

Oh, I still enjoyed myself being out there! It’s my happy place!

6 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...the slimmies are huge up there at the moment.if it wasnt a fire ban i would have brought a heap home and smoked them.

I couldn’t get a slimey though I did see a guy catch a huge one hard up against the pens.

On 05/03/2018 at 7:22 PM, Berleyguts said:

mate we fished around cages on saturday the 3rd and got our bag limit of kings in 15 minutes. Was just like those clips Scratchie put up with fish everywhere. 2 guys, 10 fish, caught and released another dozen for fun. We just dropped a hook in and immediate hook ups with other kings swarming the hooked one. Heaps of boats in area and they were all smashing it. There was a big commercial boat there with guys fishing with long poles, they must have caught hundreds. Shame they dont seem to have to abide by any bag limits.

And the funny thing at the pens on Monday was... the depth alarm on the sounder (set to 1.5m) was going off all the time. Saw what appeared to be bait on the sounder up high, no arches, but couldn’t see much through the polaroids. Very strange.