No Reds But A Bag Of Kings

Berleyguts

After last Monday’s donut, I was anxious to get out today and save face.  My wife was going to join me but changed her mind so I was solo again. I cleared the heads by 6 and headed straight to Cabbage Tree for livies. Met fellow Raider Backcruncher there. Picked up a heap of big slimies in no time. The new berley pot works a treat. ?Was getting 2 or 3 slimies at a time on the jigs - don’t they go! Imagine if they grew to 20lb! A bonnie hit the jigs and made a mess of ‘em, so I headed to Broughton. Tried the Sisters, Middle Rock, North Rock and Cod Rock but could only manage undersized reddies and a couple of bonito.

It was great to get a couple of calls from RickMarlin62 and Scratchie with tips and encouragement. Decided to try the Huon kingfish pens again. Got there in pretty quick time and there were only a couple of boats there and they were hooked up so it looked promising. ? I had no chewing gum so put a slab of slimey on and tossed it towards the pens. Bang! It was hit in seconds and the king headed straight for the pens but I managed to turn him and with a bit of effort, eventually got him into the boat. He went 67cm and was very fat. The next fish appeared huge and he smoked me in no time - straight to the pens on 20lb braid. Rather than waste time re-rigging, I switched to my 15kg game stick (JS980, Rick). It was not easy casting with the Tyrnos 30 and a king hit the bait while I was still in free spool causing an overrun but I managed to untangle it and get him in. I still got smoked 3 more times on the 15kg outfit but I didn’t go behind strike drag... maybe I should have pushed it to the max. At least it was simple to tie a new hook on as luckily the 80lb leader was breaking close to the hook.

Finished the day with 5 fat kings: 2 at 67cm (2.88 and 3.41kg); 71 (4.91kg); 72 (4.08kg);  73 (4.12kg). I’m so out of practice it took me a hell of a time to fillet them. Good thing the wife didn’t come or I might still be going! ? My son  is kicking himself for passing up the opportunity to fish with Dad!

Got a good feed and stretched my arms a bit! Have to do it again soon!

05A30F0A-66BC-44C8-874E-B82B1FB48A12.jpeg

E8757E09-92E0-48CA-8B3B-CD9348D1413B.jpeg

323DF612-747B-4D73-8515-1BFFAD69E1CA.jpeg

A7BB65C4-6D81-47AB-90F7-04E96B471D39.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice one Baz

Is there any restrictions there now and how close to the pens are you allowed to fish?

Thanks Peter. You can get in there now but they have run a lot ropes from the pens to the buoys, so you have to pick where you fish. I found a good drift past one of the southern pens away from the ropes. I wouldn’t bother if there were a lot of boats there - too many ropes to get hung up on.

• Thanks 1

Hi all...it was good to have met you baz,im sure we will get to know each other in the future.what a perfect weathered day it was.

we caught a half dozen kings on the north and south side of island but all were under sized between 55 and 60 long,but fun to catch.couple of small reds and a few missed bonnies.

we popped into the pens for a quick look on the way home looked quiet then we saw a guy with a goood kingy only to be left with a head,the size of the head indicated it was a big king.we mucked around for ten minutes with no luck so we headed home.

• Like 1

Thanks Backcruncher. I was curious to know how you went. I saw a guy pull in just a head. I think if you can’t get them in quick, the tax man comes knocking! I’d like to get one on light gear, say 4 or 6kg but I think I’d be tempting fate!