Bag of Blue Spots Means Beer!

Berleyguts

Got to the ramp at 5am this morning for a nice early start but didn’t get away til 5:30 because I couldn’t log in to the Marine Rescue app. I had to delete and download it again, which means setting up contacts and details like EPIRB serial no, trailer rego etc. ?

Grabbed some slimies and yakkas at Cabbage Tree and headed straight for Broughton Island. Tried the Sisters and Middle Rock, flicking plastics for snapper for zilch. I know I’m in the right spots but they just don’t want to cooperate! Wasn’t much run. Tried baits and got a couple of undersized reds and a couple of good blue spot flathead. Trolled up a bonito then headed back to my fallback flathead drift. Got a 50cm on the first drop, on the drop. After that it was double and triple hookups on nearly every drop. Got my bag limit and headed in but while I was there, I watched the Huon guys feeding the kingfish in the pens. It was inspiring to watch the kingies go crazy as the pellets were scattered across the water. The workers told me there are still kingies around outside the pens but I couldn’t get them to play today.

The only fish my son will usually eat is flathead, so I’ll mix up some beer batter and get to it!... which... gives me an excuse to buy more beer! ?

907BFBFB-CD15-4CD3-A680-B53241E4BE11.jpeg

CDB4AD0B-3DF5-40C6-850D-05D0EC668909.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 5

Nice work Baz! It looked like a beautiful day out there! I was out Monday and the current was running hard uphill which normally means very little snapper! My young fella lost a cracker 80cm+ boatside after it chewed off the leader. But that was the only good one all day. Picked up 4 pannies 2 big mac tuna and a huge bonito! Might try and look for a few tomorrow arvo! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

Nice bag of flatties from Fishing paradise well done.

If the marine rescue app isn’t cooperating couldn’t you just call on the radio?   

Edited by Welster
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Welster said:

Nice bag of flatties from Fishing paradise well done.

If the marine rescue app isn’t cooperating couldn’t you just call on the radio?   

Yes and I usually do call on the radio anyway but I like having the app tracking me, especially when solo.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work Baz! It looked like a beautiful day out there! I was out Monday and the current was running hard uphill which normally means very little snapper! My young fella lost a cracker 80cm+ boatside after it chewed off the leader. But that was the only good one all day. Picked up 4 pannies 2 big mac tuna and a huge bonito! Might try and look for a few tomorrow arvo! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Good stuff, Jeff! Yeah, there was a slight swell early but it turned to glass mid morning. Magic out there! Saw some guys at the ramp with the same boat as me (but with a 50, not a 60) and they’d been to the FAD for a couple of dollies so now I know my boat can go there... except for one small problem. Remember when I said I thought it was taking on water the other day? Well, the bilge pump kept kicking in today. Buggered if I know where it’s leaking! It’s only 4 years old! I’m pretty careful re electrolysis... I wonder if she’s split a seam somewhere. I did come off some waves pretty hard a few times the other week... my back still feels it!

1 minute ago, fragmeister said:

Nice haul... and the best excuse I have heard in a while for a coldie!

Cheers

Jim

Try this one... the recipe calls for 250ml of beer. So I figure I’ll drink some of the stubby and leave 250ml. “Oops! Too much! I better open another one!” ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

I’m thinking it may be a leak from your live tank in the hull. That’s where I’d start. Try running some dye in it and see if it comes out! 

Yeah, that’s a possibility although it actually seemed to be overflowing today. I’ll try the dye trick when I get a chance.

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Yes and I usually do call on the radio anyway but I like having the app tracking me, especially when solo.

It is a good thing that’s for sure.    I haven’t used the app for a while and found it a bit clunky.   But I had heard the bugs are fixed.   

Good stuff, Jeff! Yeah, there was a slight swell early but it turned to glass mid morning. Magic out there! Saw some guys at the ramp with the same boat as me (but with a 50, not a 60) and they’d been to the FAD for a couple of dollies so now I know my boat can go there... except for one small problem. Remember when I said I thought it was taking on water the other day? Well, the bilge pump kept kicking in today. Buggered if I know where it’s leaking! It’s only 4 years old! I’m pretty careful re electrolysis... I wonder if she’s split a seam somewhere. I did come off some waves pretty hard a few times the other week... my back still feels it!

What type of boat is it?   I have had the live bait tank overfilling and the water swooshing over the top between the tank and hull.

I also had a brand new live bait tank pump that was spraying water out of the casing under the floor.   They replaced it under warranty.   Any fitting in between could be leaking too.   Bungs not sealing properly.   Odds on it will be something minor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Nice feed baz.

I found an inch crack in a weld on mine the other day where the back plate is welded to the bottom about 4 inches from the bung.

I suspected I had one but my home made live bait tank was leaking as well so I didn't look to hard.

Hopefully it won't be too hard of a weld repair.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Welster said:

What type of boat is it?   I have had the live bait tank overfilling and the water swooshing over the top between the tank and hull.

I also had a brand new live bait tank pump that was spraying water out of the casing under the floor.   They replaced it under warranty.   Any fitting in between could be leaking too.   Bungs not sealing properly.   Odds on it will be something minor. 

Stacer Outlaw. Hopefully it’s something to do with the tank or fittings and not a weld job! With all the built in storage compartments, it’s not easy to spot anything.

• Like 1

Great report Baz. The sign of an angler who knows what he's doing is the one who tries different options till he strikes gold. Hope you enjoyed the feast with a few coldies mate. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Great report Baz. The sign of an angler who knows what he's doing is the one who tries different options till he strikes gold. Hope you enjoyed the feast with a few coldies mate. Cheers, bn

Well, I figure I have to come home with something and there are a lot of options here! I haven’t cracked the snapper code yet, which is frustrating but I will persevere! I’m also trying to get a longtail but I just haven’t seen any activity - I know people are catching them!

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

Well, I figure I have to come home with something and there are a lot of options here! I haven’t cracked the snapper code yet, which is frustrating but I will persevere! I’m also trying to get a longtail but I just haven’t seen any activity - I know people are catching them!

Persist Baz, I'm sure you'll get both Snapper and longtail SOON Good luck mate, bn

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Stacer Outlaw. Hopefully it’s something to do with the tank or fittings and not a weld job! With all the built in storage compartments, it’s not easy to spot anything.

Actually, that got me thinking. First approach might be to go fishing! Don’t use the tank and see if the bilge pump still kicks in. If it doesn’t, it’s the tank, pump or fittings. ? Anyway, something to worry about for another day. I’m going to try the Indian Ocean next week! Maybe I’ll get my big red over there!

• Like 1

Actually, that got me thinking. First approach might be to go fishing! Don’t use the tank and see if the bilge pump still kicks in. If it doesn’t, it’s the tank, pump or fittings. ? Anyway, something to worry about for another day. I’m going to try the Indian Ocean next week! Maybe I’ll get my big red over there!

Depending on the live bait tank pick up you might have to block it off if water pushes through under way.  Also maybe it is getting more water than it can handle whilst underway.

Id be doing a bit of everything filling up the bilge as Rick suggested. Rigging up the livebait tank to pump at home and watching the tank pump and fittings. 

Maybe go out and put a little grease or something on the bung washers to make sure they are doing up tight.   Check the bung plug housing and fittings are sealed.

Whatever it is you are going to have to keep getting out until the esky is full of snapper, just to be sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Welster said:

Depending on the live bait tank pick up you might have to block it off if water pushes through under way.  Also maybe it is getting more water than it can handle whilst underway.

Id be doing a bit of everything filling up the bilge as Rick suggested. Rigging up the livebait tank to pump at home and watching the tank pump and fittings. 

Maybe go out and put a little grease or something on the bung washers to make sure they are doing up tight.   Check the bung plug housing and fittings are sealed.

Whatever it is you are going to have to keep getting out until the esky is full of snapper, just to be sure. 

All worth a go, particularly the last one! ?

The pick up is a filtered bilge pump inlet, not a scoop.