Family Car/Sedan Towing

JayP1

Hey! Im currently looking at upgrading my boat to a Quintrex/ Stessco 440 Renegade and wondering what cars people use to tow these boats. I have a mazda 6 that i want to be able to tow with and wondering if anyone has similar boats they tow with family sized sedans/ hatchbacks? The trailer will be Unbraked. Any experience/ Info will be much appreciated. Thanks guys :) 

Your Mazda 6 would have no problem towing the boat but as Scratchie states, you could have difficulty on some boat ramps, especially if they were slippery. However, if you're cautious about where you go you should be right. bn

Should tow it easily, no need for an AWD. I'd check the specifications in the owners manual and pay attention to the towball download rating but I think you will find it well within the limits. I tow a much heavier boat with my Ford Falcon and have only had problems with deep sand on the ramp (which doesn't happen very often and you can always shovel it away).

There are thing you can do on slippery ramps like putting a chock behind your wheel when launching, turning your traction control off when pulling out.

Edited by kingfishbig

18 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

Should tow it easily, no need for an AWD. I'd check the specifications in the owners manual and pay attention to the towball download rating but I think you will find it well within the limits. I tow a much heavier boat with my Ford Falcon and have only had problems with deep sand on the ramp (which doesn't happen very often and you can always shovel it away).

There are thing you can do on slippery ramps like putting a chock behind your wheel when launching, turning your traction control off when pulling out.

I agree two wheel drives were no problems for years nothing has changed.   As long as the ramps you use are ok you should be fine.    Just check your car towing spec as suggested above.    I now tow with a four wheel drive with standard road tyres but never have I needed to engage 4wd at a boat ramp. 

Thanks for all the input guys, i do have a Ute that i can tow it with, but unfortunately its only a single cab which means having to take two cars if im fishing with 3 people or going on trips :/ But id rather be safe than sorry, when I purchase it i might hook it up to the mazda and take it for a short drive to see how it handles it

Might just throw the ratchets over my third mate in the tray ;) 

Edited by JayP1
  • Haha 2

I tow my 539 Stacer with my wife's FWD Pathfinder and haven't had a issue, I also find since its FWD the drive wheels are more than likely on clean concrete out of the sand and slime, so traction isn't so much of a issue.

What is the weight of the 440 as mine is about 1400kg loaded and I expect your would be a lot lighter than my bow rider.

1 minute ago, jeffb5.8 said:

What is the weight of the 440 as mine is about 1400kg loaded and I expect your would be a lot lighter than my bow rider.

I assume it'll be under 750kg for B/M/T but after loading it with gear/ fuel etc. probably would be getting close to 750

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Just my opinion, towing of any boat should be an AWD minimum! Especially when travelling to different locations and ramps. Seen too many people caught out using a family sedan. Just a thought! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

I think no one should own a boat unless they have a Ford 450 dually to tow with but thats inpractical.lol.

I've also noticed that alot of guys that get into trouble on the ramp etc are lacking in brain development.?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, JayP1 said:

Hey! Im currently looking at upgrading my boat to a Quintrex/ Stessco 440 Renegade and wondering what cars people use to tow these boats. I have a mazda 6 that i want to be able to tow with and wondering if anyone has similar boats they tow with family sized sedans/ hatchbacks? The trailer will be Unbraked. Any experience/ Info will be much appreciated. Thanks guys :) 

Whats your unbraked towing capacity on your Mazda?

Remember pretty much anything will tow a boat like that on dry/flat roads with a sensible driver.

The boat ramp is the least of your worries really.It's the tow inbetween that/those ramps and home that can get you unstuck when towing with a less capable,lighter vehicle if you don't  drive accordingly. 

The worse is probably going down a steep hill around a bend in the wet and something jumps out in front of you and you have to swerve/brake.

I tow my boat without issue both on the road and ramp with my Kia hatch doing 100km+round trips up and down big hills like Mt ousley etc.

I drive to the conditions(Theres always the brain dead on the road) leaving plenty of braking room.

At the ramp I've had no dramas but did take a set of chocks with me at first to test the waters so to speak.

Good luck with it and remember to keep your tranny out of overdrive too.

Ramps are the issue not the towing as mentioned, there are so many ramp angle variations & some well or less maintained ramps that you will need to access, every ramp you go to. will be different

There are plenty of youtubes you can watch with cars being dragged back into the water with their boats & trailers because they didn't use common sense.

Ramps are all different so there is no not 1 rule to go by.

Having chocks on hand is a good idea but even they will be no good to you if you haven't actually accessed the ramp before backing up.

Edited by kingie chaser

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I think no one should own a boat unless they have a Ford 450 dually to tow with but thats inpractical.lol.

I've also noticed that alot of guys that get into trouble on the ramp etc are lacking in brain development.?

I agree some people do lack grey matter! 

But I still stand by my statement, especially here and further up the north coast! 

However, yes a family sedan is more than capable of towing/launching/retrieving on most ramps. 

I just prefer to lean on the side of caution! 

There’s some great advice on this thread, keep em coming! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Towing capacity of the Mazda 6 is 550kg unbraked and 1500kg braked.

You mentioned earlier you expect to go over 750kg BMT so it seems you either get a braked trailer or upsize ur vehicle to an AWD as Scratchie suggested.

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 2