It Comes in Threes, Right?

Berleyguts

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Tough luck baz....hope you get your issues sorted.

Out of interest how long is a battery supposed to last i would have thought 4.5 yrs is a about right.

I had my etec serviced yearly even in the "3 year no service period" and id recommend all etec owners do the same.

The battery warranty is 2 years, so I’m happy with 4.5 years.

I’d now recommend yearly servicing, too! Although, in the first 3 years I really only did about 50 hours! I ran it on the ears for 5 mins or so every couple of weeks though.

On 10/23/2018 at 1:34 PM, kingfishbig said:

Drenching it with WD-40 might not be a good idea. For a start certain linkages are meant to be greased and being primarily a solvent it will dissolve the grease. It can attack rubber being petroleum based (natural ones and some synthetic). In the case of INOX (petroleum based like WD-40) they warn you about getting it on rubber cowl seals. I use a lanolin spray (fairly sparingly).

Damn ive been using INOX well not inside the cowl just on the outside on some of the rusty bits.   So people recommend spraying the whole engine under the cowling in Lanox?  Is this to prevent corrosion to parts under the cowling?  Mine seems pretty damn clean in there for a 12 year old engine.

Edited by Fishop

1 hour ago, Fishop said:

Damn ive been using INOX well not inside the cowl just on the outside on some of the rusty bits.   So people recommend spraying the whole engine under the cowling in Lanox?  Is this to prevent corrosion to parts under the cowling?  Mine seems pretty damn clean in there for a 12 year old engine.

My mechanic said I could spray Lanox anywhere under the cowling, so that’s what I will do from now on.

I don’t really see the point of spraying everything under the cowling with Lanox or whatever. What does this achieve apart from making the whole thing slippery and oily? It’s not going to prevent issues like what is in this topic about a broken starter solinoid or TPS. 

My engine is 8 or so years old and still looks new under there without ever been sprayed. 

There are linkages, sliding parts and pivot points that need to have grease on them, so spraying any of these areas will wash all that lubrication off. 

4 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

I don’t really see the point of spraying everything under the cowling with Lanox or whatever. What does this achieve apart from making the whole thing slippery and oily? It’s not going to prevent issues like what is in this topic about a broken starter solinoid or TPS. 

My engine is 8 or so years old and still looks new under there without ever been sprayed. 

There are linkages, sliding parts and pivot points that need to have grease on them, so spraying any of these areas will wash all that lubrication off. 

Well it's not likely Lanox will wash grease off as it is a grease itself. Like I said I use it sparingly. Some engines have mild steel parts such as bolts so it's a good idea to give them  a spray. Bit I think your right - it is not necessary to spray everything under the cowl, just if you are going to use a spray why not something gentler.

Well, I picked my baby up this morning. I’ve had the deep cycle battery for the Minn Kota on charge all day. The 60 ETEC has had a thorough going over under warranty. I gave her a run on the ears this arvo when I got home from a trip to Newcastle with the missus. All looks good! Sea Miner is all loaded up with fishing gear. I’m all set for an early morning trip tomorrow! ?

Wish me luck! ?

• Like 2

On 10/23/2018 at 1:38 PM, back cruncher said:

Hi all...ive had a tps go on one of my motorbikes,also a mate had the same problem.

Baz,i lather under the hood of my boat engine with wd40 every 2nd trip.i buy 5liters of wd40 and use a spray bottle to apply the wd40,i give a good drenching.

I was up broughton on friday myself,was my worst day fishing in years.

Not a good idea at all, if you want to spray under the "hood" use a light spray of silicone, wd40 will attack certain rubbers, dissolve oil /grease thats meant to be there and offer no "long lasting protection"

Well, I took my baby to Broughton yesterday and the motor ran like I dream. All sensors were replaced under warranty. When I got home, I lifted the cowling and was surprised to see a fair bit of salt in there. That’s rare... but I did give her a pounding there and back (warm enough to cop a bit of spray in the face)! Wiped it all off and gave her a light spray with Lanox. All good for the next trip!

It was good to be in my happy place again! Pity the fish didn’t cooperate... but I had a great private show from a bunch of whales and it was a good thing I dropped a crab pot in on the way out. Singapore chilli crab for dinner, I think!

Next thing to look at on the boat is:

a) Sounder - intermittently records too deep or too shallow. Suspect transducer cable is damaged. Might have to order a new transducer.

b) VHF radio - I couldn’t seem to transmit yesterday. Receive OK. Realised the buttons on the microphone weren’t changing channels, or the transmit button working either, obviously. Opened her up but couldn’t see any water in there. Might be something wrong with circuit board. Looks like a new radio is on the cards.

1298B4EF-275E-4CDC-9F70-CFC59F7A1B73.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all…good to catch up yesterday baz

It was good to see you, too, Backcruncher. I need to learn everyone’s boats! Reckon we could use a Fishraider pennant or something in a bright flouro colour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Was there any fish showin at mark i sent baz

There was plenty of bait in that area, Rick and I already told you I found the sweep! Didn’t see any big arches indicating bigger fish, though. I drifted right along that drop off and I’ll keep that area in mind for the future. Looks the goods! The drift was pretty fast from south to north. I hit spot lock and fed baits back too. Was only getting pickers. All in all, though, I was just really happy to be out on the water after so long. I was going stir crazy!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aaahhhhh!!!!!! 🤬

After 41 days and a lot of issues on the family front, I finally get a chance to fish, the missus wants to come tomorrow but not an early start, so I said, “Well, we won’t fish Broughton, then. We’ll just fish in the Bay, try for flatties and whiting and drop the crab pots in”. So, I thought I’d rig the estuary outfits, load the boat etc. I put the ears on the motor to run it for a few minutes to be sure. Nothing! Dammit! Just a click, like when the starter solenoid went. Back to the mechanic tomorrow. I can’t cop a break!

58 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Aaahhhhh!!!!!! 🤬

After 41 days and a lot of issues on the family front, I finally get a chance to fish, the missus wants to come tomorrow but not an early start, so I said, “Well, we won’t fish Broughton, then. We’ll just fish in the Bay, try for flatties and whiting and drop the crab pots in”. So, I thought I’d rig the estuary outfits, load the boat etc. I put the ears on the motor to run it for a few minutes to be sure. Nothing! Dammit! Just a click, like when the starter solenoid went. Back to the mechanic tomorrow. I can’t cop a break!

I don’t think your boat likes you baz! That’s just some bad luck there mate! Weather looks ok tomorrow too! 😩

On 12/11/2018 at 4:12 PM, Berleyguts said:

Aaahhhhh!!!!!! 🤬

Damn those evindrudes

• Haha 1

Not good Baz - I hope you get it sorted and back out on the water soon.

Its always great to get out but sometimes it just doesn't come together for all sorts of reasons - I was out on Lake Macquarie last monday and managed to get a new Personal Low - how big does a tailor need to be to be considered a chopper ... this one decided to eat a 2.5 inch GrubZ

IMG_5200.jpeg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Fishop said:

Damn those evindrudes

I just had my 1 year service last month and put in excess of 120 hrs on my etec since purchased new. Purring like a kitten i say. Diagnostics report A1.

One word of advice for anyone owning an etec....dont wait 3 yrs to do ur first service thats just mechanical suicide.

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2018 at 5:12 PM, Berleyguts said:

Just a click, like when the starter solenoid went. Back to the mechanic tomorrow.

Hey Baz,

I really feel for ya !  Have you got an answer on this yet? Usually when the solenoids are clicking it means there is a low voltage situation ... do you have a volt meter fitted....was your battery showing full charge? 

Cheers Z

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey Baz,

I really feel for ya !  Have you got an answer on this yet? Usually when the solenoids are clicking it means there is a low voltage situation ... do you have a volt meter fitted....was your battery showing full charge? 

Cheers Z

I just picked it up this morning. Starter motor replaced under warranty. Mechanic was wondering if the starter motor was the original issue and it caused the problems with all the sensors. And maybe there was nothing wrong with the battery in the first place! Fingers crossed, that’s it! It’s due for its annual warranty service in January! 😂

I don’t know if I’ll get out before Christmas now...

Edited by Berleyguts

3 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I just picked it up this morning. Starter motor replaced under warranty. Mechanic was wondering if the starter motor was the original issue and it caused the problems with all the sensors. And maybe there was nothing wrong with battery in the first place!

Well your baby is back - intermittent electrical issues are a bugger to diagnose - lets hope the problems are behind you !

You really have been through the wars on this one mate.

Best of luck.

Cheers Zoran

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

I just picked it up this morning. Starter motor replaced under warranty. Mechanic was wondering if the starter motor was the original issue and it caused the problems with all the sensors. And maybe there was nothing wrong with the battery in the first place! Fingers crossed, that’s it! It’s due for its annual warranty service in January! 😂

I’ll take your boat out for you baz if you need to get it on the water! 😝

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

I’ll take your boat out for you baz if you need to get it on the water! 😝

Yeah, OK. And I’ll take yours! 🤪

I’ve got Monday off but the Missus is going to Sydney for work, so I’m driving her to Newcastle at 4am, so won’t be back until 6ish, which means I probably wouldn’t get on the water until 7 ish. I could probably fish in the Bay but I really have to finish a landscaping job. I might be able to get out the Sunday before Chrissy - would be nice to get a feed of blue swimmers for Chrissy lunch. 😋 

On 12/15/2018 at 3:35 PM, Berleyguts said:

Fingers crossed, that’s it! It’s due for its annual warranty service in January! 😂

Same here Baz no chance before Yule Time cheer.   I hope your problems are all sorted now mate.  

Bear

• Like 2