Last keel roller on Trailer

garfield28

Hi all,

I recently changed my rusted full wobble roller boat trailer to a spitfire aluminium trailer with both wobble rollers and keep rollers. 

I've had a few mishaps driving the boat up on the new trailer and it is always the last keep roller at the back of the boat it is designed so that you basically have to aim at that one spot on then work your way up the trailer, but thanks to winds or the current etc I've missed it a couple of times and have done a couple of deep gouges on my boat (the latest incident attached)

After some ideas on avoiding this without having to actually pull a rope and winch it up, I much prefer to drive on when I can so if there's a DIY solution or something I can do like put the boat in the water more etc I'd really love to hear it. 

Thanks 

Geoff 

Resized_20181215_182215_3606.jpeg

Edited by garfield28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

So the idea is it hits the V first which is slightly lower or high than the first keel roller on the end there and guides it onto that roller?

Yup. Rear roller assemblies swing like yours. The V catches the bow and guides it onto the 1st roller, then slides under the boat as the hull moves up the trailer.   You may have to position it in a different place on your set up.

Took nearly 3 beers (while staring at the trailer and boat) to solve that one.

Cheers Zoran

• Haha 1

Hi @garfield28

Look for a product called EziGuide. I have one, unused since I bought it, but I'm thinking that it might be what you are after. Also, maybe as a first cheaper option, take out the roller at the end and replace it with a self centering one. Just make sure you install it the right way around 😉 Also remember to get a red one because thats what you need for FG. Blue are for Aluminium.

15 hours ago, garfield28 said:

My trailer pretty much is like this one except just not a tandem wheel set up. 

Spitfire Aluminum Boat Trailers  6.9  M - 2,000kg.jpg

I have the exact same trailer, but in gal.  I have never driven my boat up I prefer to walk it up with rope and using the winch.  Its a bit of a pain when its super windy but then again I dont go out when its real windy at least not on my own.   You are right, unless you get it pretty much perfect straight its easy to miss the roller and scratch the gel coat.

After doing a bit of research I too have changed all the keel rollers to red rubber.  I had the two rear most rollers crack and fall apart on me under the weight of my boat (and yes I have the side wobble rollers pushed up tight taking some of the load). 

The red ones cost me about $140 from one of the online boat trailer spare sites (not cheap!!)

With the red rollers on the boat doesnt roll off as easy as it did with the hard blue ones though, I have to sink the trailer further into the water, getting the back tyres of my car wet!!  8(

@zmk1962 do you know if this type of guide can be purchased anywhere?  It looks like it would provide better support to the stern.  My boat is extremely stern heavy for some reason.  I have the wheels moved as far back as they go and still only have about 50-100kgs down force on the hitch. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishop said:

do you know if this type of guide can be purchased anywhere? 

Hi @Fishop sorry I am not quite sure which guide you are referring to. Both EziGuide and Retrievamate look like they are commercially available products. The one on my trailer is something I designed and welded up myself (I purchased the HDPE covering of course). It's a custom job that suits my trailer. It sole purpose is to catch the bow and center it onto the first keel roller.

image.png.df74ddf67e24733d0b7d029c40c0507c.png

image.png.b616d452e9ef5a89681ab32a2dae94da.png

It looks like it would provide better support to the stern.  My boat is extremely stern heavy for some reason.  I have the wheels moved as far back as they go and still only have about 50-100kgs down force on the hitch. 

My guide does tie the two rear roller assemblies together - not sure that improves the stern support in any real way. The guide swivels down out of the way once the bow engages the first roller and the boat keel starts to climb onto that roller.

In the shot below (stern to the left and bow to the right), you can see the hull is clear of the guide.

image.png.582e32095e1848b1f81a92fc78615847.png

Here's a shot from the other side (bow to the left, stern to the right) .. showing the hull supported by the keel rollers and the rear roller assemblies (sitting clear of my guide). 

image.png.dfb1a4bb00d8b399aacdc7b3be9cb031.png

Cheers Zoran

21 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Yup. Rear roller assemblies swing like yours. The V catches the bow and guides it onto the 1st roller, then slides under the boat as the hull moves up the trailer.   You may have to position it in a different place on your set up.

Took nearly 3 beers (while staring at the trailer and boat) to solve that one.

Cheers Zoran

Ingenious idea mate.... Did you use pre-gal steel for that mate, or just cold gal spray it when complete? 

14 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

There is a device called a Retrievamate which has spring loaded rollers. A bit expensive but they work very well.

Thanks mate, but I'm liking the DIY idea at present as I love to play around with tools. 

12 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Hi @garfield28

Look for a product called EziGuide. I have one, unused since I bought it, but I'm thinking that it might be what you are after. Also, maybe as a first cheaper option, take out the roller at the end and replace it with a self centering one. Just make sure you install it the right way around 😉 Also remember to get a red one because thats what you need for FG. Blue are for Aluminium.

Hey mate, Thanks for the reply, how come you haven't used it?

So now I need red rollers not blue ones... I might have to wait till the blue ones fall apart first coz if I spend any more money on my boat which doesn't catch fish I think my Mrs will leave me.... true story :-) 

7 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...what about a roller either side of the problem roller ?

Mate I think it's more the steel part of the bracket holding the actual roller which is the problem, so I guess maybe one long as roller could work but I don't know if they exist. 

I have the exact same trailer, but in gal.  I have never driven my boat up I prefer to walk it up with rope and using the winch.  Its a bit of a pain when its super windy but then again I dont go out when its real windy at least not on my own.   You are right, unless you get it pretty much perfect straight its easy to miss the roller and scratch the gel coat.

After doing a bit of research I too have changed all the keel rollers to red rubber.  I had the two rear most rollers crack and fall apart on me under the weight of my boat (and yes I have the side wobble rollers pushed up tight taking some of the load). 

The red ones cost me about $140 from one of the online boat trailer spare sites (not cheap!!)

With the red rollers on the boat doesnt roll off as easy as it did with the hard blue ones though, I have to sink the trailer further into the water, getting the back tyres of my car wet!!  8(

@zmk1962 do you know if this type of guide can be purchased anywhere?  It looks like it would provide better support to the stern.  My boat is extremely stern heavy for some reason.  I have the wheels moved as far back as they go and still only have about 50-100kgs down force on the hitch. 

I have winched it up a couple of times but would much prefer to drive mine up if I can, which If I can just get around the first keel roller without hitting the bracket, I should be able to.

I i'll try and hang off for now on the red rollers the Mrs will make me sell it! 

20 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Hi @Fishop sorry I am not quite sure which guide you are referring to. Both EziGuide and Retrievamate look like they are commercially available products. The one on my trailer is something I designed and welded up myself (I purchased the HDPE covering of course). It's a custom job that suits my trailer. It sole purpose is to catch the bow and center it onto the first keel roller.

My guide does tie the two rear roller assemblies together - not sure that improves the stern support in any real way. The guide swivels down out of the way once the bow engages the first roller and the boat keel starts to climb onto that roller.

In the shot below (stern to the left and bow to the right), you can see the hull is clear of the guide.

Here's a shot from the other side (bow to the left, stern to the right) .. showing the hull supported by the keel rollers and the rear roller assemblies (sitting clear of my guide). 

Cheers Zoran

Mate that is an awesome idea... maybe I can sink 10 cans and think about mine :-) 

• Haha 1

Hi @garfield28

The only reason I didn't use my EziGuide ($180)  was I ended up with a different trailer so I didn't have chance to install it and then I found I didn't need it. On the subject of Red rollers, you only need one self centre and thats the first one. They are about $20.

@zmk1962 design looks pretty good too!

• Thanks 1

Just now, antonywardle said:

Hi @garfield28

The only reason I didn't use my EziGuide ($180)  was I ended up with a different trailer so I didn't have chance to install it and then I found I didn't need it. On the subject of Red rollers, you only need one self centre and thats the first one. They are about $20.

Boats = $$$ doesn't it, even when you don't end up using the bloody things! 

Whats the self centre roller for that I need mate?

31 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers Zoran

Where would this world be without engineers. Top stuff

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

Ingenious idea mate.... Did you use pre-gal steel for that mate, or just cold gal spray it when complete? 

No pre-gal.  I had two scrap pieces of 50x5mm flat bar that I used. Then cleaned it up and cold gal'd it. 

Cheers Z

Your problem is that you are using a keel roller trailer as a drive on trailer which it is not designed to do.  So a self centering roller is not enough as you might miss it. Some sort of catching device is needed.

Edited by kingfishbig
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, garfield28 said:

Mate that is an awesome idea... maybe I can sink 10 cans and think about mine 🙂

Maybe you should ask the Mrs first ! 

Just worried for ya - given what you said before.....😬

cheers Z

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2018 at 7:56 PM, antonywardle said:

Hi @garfield28

I got mine for $21 for 8" rollers and $28 for the 12".    It adds up I think you need 5 or 6 of them.  I also got a red poly V block for at the winch post.  The existing hard blue 4" roller smashed the gel coat up on my first trip away with the new trailer.  If i were you I would replace that first.  it was only $13 (plus shipping)

• Like 1

@zmk1962 ah I see what you mean.  Thanks for that but I dont think it would work for my situation.  With my boat the stern-most keel roller take most of the weight.  Those stern wobble rollers mustnt line up with my baulkheads.  If I put too much weigt on the rollers the front-most ones end up pushing into the bottom of the boat causing it to flex pretty badly.  

All good I dont mind winching it on by hand.

trailer.png

It's hard for me to visualise what you are saying @Fishop - and what you are trying to line up. Maybe if you post a couple of different angle pictures of your boat on the trailer so we can see how it sits when ready to be trailed. Also a photo of the bow area - to get a sense of how it engages the wobble rollers and keel roller.  The wobble rollers should not be flexing your hull - long term that would not be good!

Cheers Z

53 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

It's hard for me to visualise what you are saying @Fishop - and what you are trying to line up. Maybe if you post a couple of different angle pictures of your boat on the trailer so we can see how it sits when ready to be trailed. Also a photo of the bow area - to get a sense of how it engages the wobble rollers and keel roller.  The wobble rollers should not be flexing your hull - long term that would not be good!

Cheers Z

Ill grab some photos tonight.  If I remove or have that first keel roller too low, all the stern weight it placed on those 12 stern keel rollers.  The rear-most 8 rollers take most of the weight and push the front 4 up.  Where the front 4 hit the bottom of my boat it sounds hollow and flexes in and does not look right at all.  Lol.  Ill get some pics  😎

@Fishop and @garfield28 as someone said previously it looks like your trailer was not originally designed for a drive on. 

I have been thinking of a variation of my design, and came up wth the design as per the sketch below.

Basically replace the 1st keel roller with a wider HDPE skid angled like mine so that the bow and  keel slide to center.  Install the skid so it is level with the 2nd roller.   ( @Fishop this will give you better bottom support as well.)

94C81CA1-CEA6-4E68-AAB3-CC53FACC2F9C.thumb.jpeg.e2f8bac783138b6b8112ffa188a38073.jpeg

You could probably make the whole thing up without welding from standard trailer parts bolted to 2 pieces of gal RHS.  Then slip the HDPE over the top.

You can re-use the existing keel roller trailer brackets and add extra trailer supports using these type of bolt on brackets.

image.png.ecc17891e1930f74fcfdf269fd335f01.png

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2