Wednesday Woes At Port Stephens

Berleyguts

After quite a while in a fishing hiatus, for one reason or other, I was keen to head out yesterday for a run to Broughton Island, now my outboard is running properly again! Does anyone else find if you haven’t fished for a while, it takes a while to get your mojo back so everything goes smoothly? 🤔😂

I had a late night on Tuesday and managed only a few hours sleep before hitting the ramp around 4:45. I was hoping this was the day I’d arrive at Broughton by first light. After bumping my head on my tailgate (about the 5th time in 2 days I’ve bumped my noggin!),  I then ruined my night vision reversing down the ramp into the glare of another car’s headlights and had to take it slow heading down the Bay. With a near full moon, I began to think I could see OK and pushed the throttle forward, only to have to swerve for an anchored/moored yacht that isn’t usually there. Looking back, it had a mast light on but for some reason, I didn’t see it from the approach side.

Then, as I passed Fly Point towards Little Beach, my navigation lights went out! 😧 I just can’t cop a break! So, I stopped in the bay, grabbed a torch and climbed under the console to have a look at the wiring. While I was doing this, an unlit black boat came past me at speed. It was still too dark to be driving without lights IMO... maybe he was a smuggler! 😂😂 I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with the lights but when I thought it was light enough for others to see me and with a torch handy, I proceeded towards the heads with caution. Headed to Cabbage Tree and picked up a few slimies and yakkas and also released a plate sized bream and trevally that hit the bait jigs. Cabbage Tree is a sanctuary zone - fishing for bait only (yakkas. slimies and gar). I then headed towards Broughton, investigating any working birds I saw - but it always seemed to be dolphins working bait schools. They always entertain me and I didn’t mind the distraction. I arrived at The Sisters and tried a few different drifts with plastics and bait. All I could manage was red rock cod on the plastics. I then tried north of the island with same result - poor man’s lobster only. Tried trolling for bonito, without success, then headed to The V and beyond for a bottom bash and then a flathead drift. All I managed was a nice red spot whiting and a big slimy! I was getting a bit giddy whenever I leaned over (probably from the bump on my scone!) and started feeling a bit crook so decided to head for home, doing 2 laps around Boondelbah, trolling for bonnies without success. Arrived home for lunch, with just 4 red rock cod and a whiting - I haven’t had a feed of fresh fish for a while!

Still, I enjoyed my morning on the water after so long shore bound and got some pretty nice photos on my phone on the way out.

1. Moon setting over Yacaaba:

F4874700-2605-47E7-8C57-7EA729339559.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice photos Baz! A shame there’s no fish in them! I’m surprised the usual haunts didn’t yield any fish. Woodsy managed 7 snapper and a mako that day I think. But that’s fishing isn’t it. A lot of people up here are hit and miss atm! The cold water still welling in here doesn’t help things! At least you got out and enjoyed your day! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

Hi all...even though you never had the best day fishing,at least you got out of the house and enjoyed yourself.

scratchie,when i was at the sisters,you could see a current line running right thru them 18 deg close 20 deg wide.very quiet at the sister when we were there,they may have fired up later in the day,but we never went back.

• Like 1

Hi all...baz,you asked the question in woodsys thread but I’ll answer here cause I think it more appropriat here.

i never turn my radio on because I find it anoying so it’s always off.next time I see you up there I’ll keep it on.

my mate had a kingy at the side of the boat and me with 4 failed attempts with the net cost him his fish,it may or may not have been legal size,but it was very disappointing to drop the fish like that being the first fish of the day without a bite for a few hours.we ended up with 2 snapper,the biggest went 52cm.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...baz,you asked the question in woodsys thread but I’ll answer here cause I think it more appropriat here.

i never turn my radio on because I find it anoying so it’s always off.next time I see you up there I’ll keep it on.

my mate had a kingy at the side of the boat and me with 4 failed attempts with the net cost him his fish,it may or may not have been legal size,but it was very disappointing to drop the fish like that being the first fish of the day without a bite for a few hours.we ended up with 2 snapper,the biggest went 52cm.

Well done!

55 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Good to hear you got back out on the water Baz.

What's the ramp like at the moment, still crowded?

I launched at Soldiers Point because it was dead low. At 4:45am there were hardly any trailers there. Coming back in, there were lots of trailers but I had no problem. Not sure about Little Beach or Shoalie. If I can get a mid-water launch and retrieve, I’ll launch at either of those, now the crowds are starting to diminish a bit. (Gotta get my lights sorted, though!)

• Thanks 1