Plastic lesson and PB Flathead

antonywardle

I've been fishing with a bloke a couple of times on a charter boat and we got to chatting about soft plastics. That's about all he uses, so we arranged a meet up for a lesson. I've not had much luck on them before, so we met up and went through a few basics. It was quiet but I managed a couple of small lizards (45 cm) and then I got a monster. Went about 80 cm and after a photo, she swam off. Nice morning for it. No wind and a bit of cloud cover on Brisbane waters. I even consented to a photo of me with the the big girl!bigflathead2.thumb.jpeg.aeb6f3d6445f56b822eca22b0930cd1a.jpegbigflathead.thumb.jpeg.3e228bf63f705985af7ce5fc1691f075.jpeg

Edited by antonywardle
added location
  • Like 14

@rickmarlin62 Brisbane Waters

@Scratchie was a nice change to have hands that weren't any dirtier than when I started 😉

@tunanocrust I'm not sure if I was just lucky or had figured it out. I didn't get hit all that hard, but just kepted the weight on when they took it.

@Yowie Thanks!

Managed to get a couple of squid for bait for the next time we chase fish.

• Like 1

Nice work Antony :thumbup:

SP fishing is mostly what I do these days as well as micro/jigs etc.

Only occasional bait when offshore or live bait when after some kings.

Got one of those 80cm models on SP as well which was a gulp nuclear chicken.

So what was this croc flavour??

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

That's amazing mate I think it took me about 9months of patience and blank sessions to self teach plastics. I should of taken a leaf out your book and got someone too teach me.  However my reward was also a flattie half the size of yours. But none the less felt very very rewarding. Ever since I have been using plastics a lot for so many different species 

Edited by FishermanSteve
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Not sure of the colour, but I think it was a 3 inch gulp motor oil. Top was a dark green and the bottom was white.

Last session in BBay I solely used some new ones I hadn't tried which was squidgy pro prawn which are a bright white colour, red eyes.

Caught 7 flathead, 1 squire & one nice 40cm flounder so pretty happy about that on the first use & might have dispelled my idea that it is all about colour?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, antonywardle said:

I've been fishing with a bloke a couple of times on a charter boat and we got to chatting about soft plastics. That's about all he uses, so we arranged a meet up for a lesson. I've not had much luck on them before, so we met up and went through a few basics. It was quiet but I managed a couple of small lizards (45 cm) and then I got a monster. Went about 80 cm and after a photo, she swam off. Nice morning for it. No wind and a bit of cloud cover on Brisbane waters. I even consented to a photo of me with the the big girl!bigflathead2.thumb.jpeg.aeb6f3d6445f56b822eca22b0930cd1a.jpegbigflathead.thumb.jpeg.3e228bf63f705985af7ce5fc1691f075.jpeg

Nice lizard there Anthony, and on a plastic ,  well done 👏🏼On the release!

Not a bad start for you flicking career. 

How deep did u get her? 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Scratchie said:

The bonus is no smelly hands at the end of the day! Haha 

That may be the case but I have had a few comments about the glitter scales of the Berkley plastics left on my fingers (and face when I rub an itch). At times I look like I have been sprinkled with fairy dust.

• Haha 6

Congratulations Antony. A wonderful fish which will be a great memory. And, good you released her. Though we are legally allowed to keep one over 70cm. 

I have kept a fish that size (gut hooked and bleeding) and found her a bugger to clean and fillet and the flesh too coarse for a decent feed. 

Never again!

KB

• Thanks 1